R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would lIke Some First Hand FB from User(s) of AMR2400 & Amek Big  (Read 3718 times)

Pete Leone

This is a re-post (originally in the SR section)

Amek Big by LANGLEY & AMR 2400 by John Roberts

Comparison cont...

*1st a message to the designer of AMR Series, JR...I have changed the question as recommended from a mindless brawl format of opinions and hearsay into a quest for feedback from actual users of one or both boards...hopefully this is more appropriate  Smile  

I will not be using any automation on either board...mostly concerned with pure signal loss factor(s) while boosting/cutting EQ's and or simply boosting original signal(s) etc...

Here is what I have in addition to one of the 2 boards:

I will be recording an old Ludwig Vistalite Set with SM57's & AKG D12 possibly some room mics as well.

Also will be recording 1965 Tube Champ in another building with appropriate mic(s) etc...

G&L 10 year old 5 string...

Several G4's & G5's

One computer source will have Koblo Studio 9000, another will have PRO52, another some soft sampling...in addition to many external sound modules of various well known manufacturers etc...

My outboard gear will be MXR Old Rack Compressors and stomp boxes, An Aphex Compellor Limiter on (vocals?) Ward Beck EQ's, Lou G custom made QUAD EQ's, some Ampex 350/351's as well as some very basic effect units such as modified LXP15-II for verb and the list goes down from there! In other words, I need to work with what I have at the moment...eventually this list will look more like: At least one DBX 160vu, (or LA3A) & a regular 160A or x, a better Lexi-Verb, at least one old (good sounding) API 550A, and probably at least one NEVE pre or maybe a summit or avalon pre...

I will be running everything simultaneously thru one of these two consoles and then out of their direct outs directly into 2 MOTU 24i or 24 i/o's into a G5 Dual 2.0ghz computer running DP5
...then continue to mix ITB from that point...but I am not intending on doing much (inside the box) other than to simply adjust some volumes or do some sound replacement...not relying on any meat and potatoes from the computer as far as EQ, or Comps go etc...

***Also Please Feel Free To Comment (or PM me if not appropriate to clog up the original subject here) If You Have Used For Converters ADAT XT 20 Bit or DA88 then went to a 1224 or 24 i/o by Motu and hated it, and now you use a Pro-Tools or Apogee something or other...becuase I also have purchase a closet full of DA88/98's and 2 PT's Mix+ systems but have decided on more simple rig of 2 MOTU 24i for the 40+ track direct out initial print***

I have read everything that is readily searchable online regarding these two consoles...

What I would like to know is back to back channel strip to channel strip (forget about any automation or master section)

Where and why will I benefit or be at a loss if I chose one of these over the other?

I (like many others) started as a kid recording with 2 cassette decks in parents basement...bouncing back n' forth struggling with sn ratio etc...so I am not too concerned with having to put a little effort into reducing noise floor etc...would simply like to know whether or not an engineer with 20+ years of experience could achieve as "big" of a sounding mix on the AMR as he/she could on the AMEK Big?

***In Case You Have Not Seen The Original Post***

I am in the middle of soundproofing a room inside of a room right now and need more $$$ to buy me some more time away from my regular bread winning activities...over budget currently
but I need to finish the project...clients are waiting (bion)
If my time and funds were unlimited I would play around with these boards myself but at 300-400 pounds each...lugging them in and out and setting them up to test would require more time than I have right now...

Many Many Thanks To All,
-Pete

burp182

Re: Would lIke Some First Hand FB from User(s) of AMR2400 & Amek Big
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:19:24 PM »

Been a little while since I was on these boards, but I still remember enough to help some.
The BIG is a Amek. For better or worse, it's an Amek. It actually lived up to it's name for me. Some heft to it's sound. British EQ, in that it really didn't look like it was going to be enough, looking at the specs, but almost always came through when in use. The Total Recall - type reset was very helpful.
The AMR was a production console. Kind of hard EQ, no real sound to speak of. A tool, not a paintbrush.
Hope this was helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.