R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to buy the right microphone  (Read 4073 times)

How to buy the right microphone
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »

Hi, this is a frequent topic -- there's a long thread currently on this page, which I've read thoroughly -- but I'd like to narrow it a bit.  I have a home studio and I'm looking for a mic, up to $2500, $3K if I had to, for multiple purposes:  vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar amp, and occasional sax and trumpet.  (Is that even reasonable?)

My instinct is to go with what's best for my voice.  Since I don't have the discriminating ear of the professionals here, I've thought of going into a well-equipped studio and shooting out the mics with the help of the engineer.  But then again, maybe that money is better put toward the mic (?).

If it helps, the timbre of my voice is more like Bowie's than anyone's, and I've heard the comparison more than once.  I've read that he prefers a Manley Reference Gold but that's a bit out of my league.  The Reference Cardioid is within reach but I understand that's a completely different mic.

Any tips?  

Thanks.  (A lot.)

YZ

Re: How to buy the right microphone
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »

A general-purpose, all-around studio workhorse microphone?

Something that may not have the very best possible sound but captures a pretty good impression of the source?

For up to $3k?

Neumann U87/U87A.

regards,

YZ

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »

I'll take a Manley Reference any day over a U87.  Try the Bock 151, in that price range, as well.  Brauner makes a couple mics in your target price, too.  Those would be my three choices when looking for a new mic.

Make sure you get them from a dealer where you can demo them, and return them.  Never buy a mic without being sure that it works for your needs.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 09:36

I'll take a Manley Reference any day over a U87.  Try the Bock 151, in that price range, as well.  Brauner makes a couple mics in your target price, too.  Those would be my three choices when looking for a new mic.

Make sure you get them from a dealer where you can demo them, and return them.  Never buy a mic without being sure that it works for your needs.

Hey, thanks for being so specific.  So I should avoid ebay I guess.  I saw a Brauner Valvet for a good price a while ago but I'm a little cautious about getting a used mic and I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:24 PM »

Don't be too afraid to buy used.  In fact most of the Best things you could buy at any price would certainly be used..

Try the 151  Rent 1/2 a day at a local studio with someone who knows mics and is interested in hearing it too.  They'll give you a deal and you can listen to it against some other things.

Wouldn't the 151 be closest to the Manley gold JJ?  He has both.

j

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:59:16 PM »

You don't need to rent.  Get it from mercenary, and you can demo it and send it back if you don't like it.  

The 151 is a little more colored than the Gold, but in a nice way.  You might like that more for that reason.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

I'm definitely interested in the 151.  But I don't think Mercenary carries Bock; I remember a thread in which there was a conflict with their policies.

But Marquette Audio Labs, I've just discovered, is 20 minutes from me, and they sell all of the mics discussed here.  Anyone know about David Marquette?  I sent him an email but haven't heard back yet.  I don't know that he'd help me shoot-out the mics but that could be just the ticket.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »

David Marquette is Cool,  I have not spoken with him for years  but I liked him when I did  and remember straight business.  I am sure he'll help you.  If that does not work out Vintage King sells Bock mic and they are Great.  They will lwt you try one also I beleive.  If you have difficulty pm me.

Chris Ilett

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »

Just gotta jump in here and ask why you feel you need to spend that much on a mic, for a home studio. It's not that you should scrimp on gear, but can I ask you - what hardware/software/outboard etc are you going to be using?

Next up, who's going to be doing the recording, and then the mixing?

I ask not to 'call you out' - but to maybe save you spending $3000 on something which won't get you better results than if you spent $300.

Tell us a bit more about what else you're using, and what the end goal is...

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »

Thanks for your offer, John.  I'll get in touch with David first and see how that works out.  I really like being able to deal with people face-to-face when I can.  

Hi Chris, that's a fair question -- I'm not a professional but I know music, and I've done home recording for a long time on the cheaper stuff.  My other gear at this point should be up to snuff and I definitely have good instruments, and the fingers to play them.  I prefer to work at home with my friends and at my own pace, so I'm here to learn as much as I can about tracking (which has already been quite a lot), and when the time comes I'll hire someone to mix.  I probably don't need the best mic, but it's what I want to do so I'm going for it.  Thanks for your questions and offer to help (but as you can see I'm quite stubborn).

Chris Ilett

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »

Ha, no that's cool. Sorry if I came off like you were a newbie (I now see you're a forum regular, for a start), but thought it'd help to know a bit more.

As well as the great advice you're getting, you've probably started another small war,  over U87's alone. For that I commend you.

Out of interest, can I hear any of your stuff? PM me if you prefer.

Best,

Chris

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:38 AM »

Not yet!  I'm not too happy with anything I did on my Roland gear but hopefully in a few months I'll have something worth listening to.  Thanks for your interest.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »

Go rent some mikes or some studio time where they have a well stocked locker and keep trying different mikes until you find one you like!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.