R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!  (Read 66643 times)

delcosmos

Re: (M49) Mike Lovers- Unite!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »

jrmintz wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 07:53

This M49 image was iconic to me:

And these to me:

index.php/fa/12214/0/

rjc

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Cool. Pretty rare shot, Armando, given that they mostly seem to have used '47s...

Definitely iconic though!

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »

Not to be sacrilegious, but I think the M49 is a far better mic than the U47 and that the U47 is overrated.   What created the U47 mystique was the talent in front of it.  Sinatra, Nat King Cole, The Beatles...    The main reason there were so many more U47s in studios in the 50s and 60s is that they were cheaper.  Studios did not see the need to pay extra for the M49's multi-pattern feature as it was not considered to be needed.   Another factor against the M49 for studio use is that it was spec'd for German Broadcast and so had the mandatory HF filter - this made the U47 much brighter by comparison, and therefore more likely to be chosen for a studio vocal session.   Too bad Neumann didn't make an M49S without the HF roll-off for studio use.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

delcosmos

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »

Yes, it is rare.
Although it is not an Abbey Road Pict, They wanted to re-do the Vocals of "Help", so they recorded in another studio, this is why there are 2 versions of Help with some differences in vocals. (Hey I made my homework! I have read 5 times my Recording the Beatles Book!!).

Best regards.

delcosmos.

index.php/fa/12490/0/

Barry Hufker

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »

Your education shows!

Barry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »

Arf! Mastering wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 17:00

Not to be sacrilegious, but I think the M49 is a far better mic than the U47 and that the U47 is overrated.   What created the U47 mystique was the talent in front of it.  Sinatra, Nat King Cole, The Beatles...    The main reason there were so many more U47s in studios in the 50s and 60s is that they were cheaper.  Studios did not see the need to pay extra for the M49's multi-pattern feature as it was not considered to be needed.   Another factor against the M49 for studio use is that it was spec'd for German Broadcast and so had the mandatory HF filter - this made the U47 much brighter by comparison, and therefore more likely to be chosen for a studio vocal session.   Too bad Neumann didn't make an M49S without the HF roll-off for studio use.

It is a far better mic, as well as a more flexible mic, but I don't think the 47 is overrated.  It does something that no other mic does, and when on the right source, can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up in a way no other mic can.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »

OK, overrated was a little too strong.  What I meant is that I have encountered many more lame U47s than good ones, but hardly met an M49 I didn't like!
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”

Edvaard

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 03:15:36 AM »

Just more evidence of what I have alluded to on more than one occasion.
It' the residue from the British fags vs. the American cigarettes on mic diaphragms that made the greater difference in the sound on their respective records than the difference in the Studer vs. Ampex recorders.
But otherwise, I'm in the same club here.

The 49 (M7 version) was the first mic that made me say "what!?"

P.S.: I like the single voice version a little bit better than the more common double tracked voice.

rjc

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »

Arf! Mastering wrote on Thu, 04 June 2009 17:00

...Another factor against the M49 for studio use is that it was spec'd for German Broadcast and so had the mandatory HF filter - this made the U47 much brighter by comparison, and therefore more likely to be chosen for a studio vocal session.

And yet, one would hardly describe the M49 as a dark mic, or the '47 as overly bright. In fact there is an airiness (for want of a better word) to tracks made with an M49 that seems particular to the way that mic handles upper harmonics (eg above 10k).

Interested in your thoughts on that, given what you say about the '49's "mandatory HF filter". Ie does the filter account for softness/smoothness in the highs, or would the mic have otherwise been over-bright?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »

A bit more about that "Broadcast Filter" in M49s:

*There was none in the first edition (w/ Hiller MSC2 tube, later often replaced by Neumann during service with AC701.)

*There was a barley perceptible (and, according to the specs, non-intrusive) high frequency attenuation on M49 mics built from ca. 1952 to ca. 1961- 150pf shunt to ground.

*In 1961 and for the remaining years the mic was made, the shunt increased to 600pf, but, again, according to the specs, frequency response of the amp remained flat, from 10k to 15k.

If you are so inclined, simply remove the shunt, and your psychological perception of regaining lost high end will be satisfied.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

rjc

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 02:25:11 AM »

Interesting, Klaus - and thank you for chiming in with the details.

I haven't had an opportunity to compare a first edition M49 with the later ("HF attenuated") ones, however I take it from the way you frame your comments that the effect of the shunt, even after the '61 mod, does not greatly impact the sound of the mic. Which would account for the fact that those I'm acquainted with (AFAIK all post-'61) have no apparent shortage of response above 10k.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »

rjc wrote on Sat, 06 June 2009 23:25

... I take it from the way you frame your comments that the effect of the shunt, even after the '61 mod, does not greatly impact the sound of the mic...

Correct.
However, other changes in that mic, both mechanical and electrical, did influence the M49's sound through its generations.

The greatest impact, in my opinion, was made by the switch-over from the M7 to the K47 capsule, followed by the introduction of low cut circuitry and negative feedback, and, a bit more subtle, but still clearly recognizable, the various types of transformers Neumann used.

Yet, the wonderful subtlety and effortlessness of the most underrated mic among the Big Five can be obtained by any combination of the above.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »

I've had the HF roll off removed from an M49 but later reinstalled it.   Without it, the highs were not as smooth, especially on sibilants.  It was the combination of the M49's HF roll-off and a top quality HF EQ boost at the mix stage that resulted in the most gorgeous top end I've ever gotten from mic.
John Lennon

bernbrue

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/247086427_e9977e353f.jpg?v=0

Isnt she lovely ?!
regards
Bernd

Oliver Archut

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »

She was the cutest out there!
The M7 is also kind of lovely.

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.