R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power supply connectors and cable  (Read 2656 times)

22busy

Power supply connectors and cable
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »

What do you like to use for connecting separate power supplies to the units they're intended to power and where do you get 'em?  I'm referring to the connectors and cables.

I've got a bunch of power supplies that I'd like to connect in a more professional manner, everything from simple 24vdc plus ground, to high voltage units for tube preamps with  phantom, to Power One and Acopian units.

thanks.

Andy Peters

Re: Power supply connectors and cable
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:51:26 AM »

22busy wrote on Mon, 16 June 2008 19:28

What do you like to use for connecting separate power supplies to the units they're intended to power and where do you get 'em?  I'm referring to the connectors and cables.

I've got a bunch of power supplies that I'd like to connect in a more professional manner, everything from simple 24vdc plus ground, to high voltage units for tube preamps with  phantom, to Power One and Acopian units.

Lemos are way cool but pricey and lead times can be interesting.

Hirose makes nice circular things. There's a series of CPC ("circular plastic connectors") from AMP that are inexpensive. Check DigiKey and Mouser; both stock a lot of stuff in this category.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Gold

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

I just took a long look at the options. If you're just connecting a bipolar supply a 4 pin xlr is a popular choice. It's a round connector and you might already have the punch.

I need to run more voltages around and I wanted a standard connector with a standard pinout. All the offerings from AMP, Amphenol ect work out to $12-$15 per connector. That means about $50 per box with two cable mount and two chassis mount connectors.

I decided on locking DIN connectors (MIDI style). A locking connector was a requirement of mine. Digi Key has them pretty cheap. I wouldn't use them for a travelling rig. In a fixed install that will take little abuse I think they are the best price performance ratio.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

David Kulka

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »

XLR's are available with up to 8 pins.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »

I have an aversion to using xlr connectors for non audio duties. I use 5 pin xlrs for audio in my builds, because everthing I do is stereo. But that's just me.  It's a Neumann convention that I like. The locking DIN connectors are the cheapest decent solution I've found. If i was to go expensive I'd get an Amp or Amphenol.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

MagnetoSound

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:59:24 PM »

22busy wrote on Tue, 17 June 2008 03:28

I would NOT use DIN connectors for running HT supply to tube devices.

XLR types would be just about acceptable. Far better would be to use one of the connector types adequately rated for the voltage you will be using.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Gold

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Tue, 24 June 2008 17:59

I would NOT use DIN connectors for running HT supply to tube devices.

I missed that part of it. I wouldn't use DIN connectors for a HT supply either.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

22busy

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:52:56 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'll check out your suggestions asap (been away for a bit and just saw this thread tonight for the first time in a while)

XLRs would do the job but something about using 'em for power supplies just doesn't feel right to me -- maybe it's the possibility of an accident.  I would prefer to use something else for power and reserve XLRs for audio.

There are some really nice connectors and cables on a gear like Pacific Microsonics and California Audio Labs early stuff.  They use plastic multipin connectors and the cable is wrapped in a type of fine mesh that also seems like some kind of plastic or nylon.  The connectors have a flange that requires about a half turn to make them up or break 'em down.  Probably expensive but they look great and function beautifully.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:48 AM »

Re-reading my post above, I think that what I said about XLRs was perhaps a little harsh.

Everybody uses these for tube mics nowadays, after all.

(Just make sure that the cable end is FEMALE, and the chassis plug is MALE, at the equipment end, and vice versa at the PSU end. And don't use a 3-pin, for the obvious reason. Wink )

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.