R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telefunken "Schoeps" Elam 201 Microphone  (Read 14195 times)

ranalog

Telefunken "Schoeps" Elam 201 Microphone
« on: June 01, 2004, 03:33:13 PM »

Hi, What can you tell me about the Telefunken "Schoeps" Elam 200/201 Microphone? I have a complete Mic w/large & small capsules, I was told these are very good sounding Microphones, yet strange in design,using the 6AU6 valve, and having the output transformer & caps. in the mic cable, I do not have the power supplie for it, but I do have original scamatics, should'nt be too hard to build a power supply, in any case is this one worth restoring??. do they sound good, I cant find much lit. on it I did find a ad in a 1957 Tele Tech magazine with it next to a u47, saying it was a slimmer designe ect.let me know your thoughts,  Thank you for your time,  Ranalog

David Satz

Re: Telefunken "Schoeps" Elam 201 Microphone
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:02:02 AM »

You can find some basic information on this and other "vintage" Schoeps microphones on www.schoepsclassics.com.  That's one of Bernhard Vollmer's Web sites, and probably the next time he comes around here, he could tell you more about this model.

--Pardon my being a stickler, but I would really like to stamp out the writing of "Elam" all run together as if it were a word or a brand name. "Ela" (Elektroakustik[/i]) was the department of Telefunken which handled sound equipment, including public address systems, broadcast consoles and studio equipment; "M" was the prefix used for most microphones and microphone accessories represented in the "Ela" catalog.

Bernhard Vollmer

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 03:13:41 AM »

The SCHOEPS M200 was manufactured in 1952. You find it described at http://www.schoepsclassics.de/1952.htm. Its 'strange' design results from its miniaturization. Putting the output transformer inline with the microphone's cable led to one of the smallest microphones then available (diameter only 23mm).

In the meantime it is about 52 years old and represents the state of technique of these days. It may sound well if it is working at its best but probably there will be some limitations. Creating a new power supply will surely be no deeper problem but you need the original in-line output transformer (which is not available as a spare part anymore). The capsules will also not reach their full specifications (if they work at all). So trying to restore them may be some kind of gamble (even for us).

ranalog

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 10:44:29 AM »

Thank you for the Wonderful information, I am lucky. as I have the original cable W/the transformer and so on built in, as far as the capsules, the one in the picture of the mic, is the small one, the large one, is a 1" strange looking cage, but they both look to be in beautiful condition  "fingers crossed", I will attach a photo of the large capsule,  Thank you, Ranalog

Bernhard Vollmer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 10:15:47 AM »

.. this large capsule is a two-way system consisting of an omni and a figure-eight that can be switch to the omni resulting in a cardioid pattern. A very rare piece of technique ..

If you can take a picture on blank paper (white background) and mail it to me we can put it on our website www.schoepsclassics.com (as this picture is missing because we do not have one of these capsules in our museum).

analog Tom

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 11:51:12 AM »

This combining technique was what was used in the Altec 639A & B ("birdcage") mics.  The bidirectional pattern was from a ribbon, and the omni from a dynamic capsule mounted just below the ribbon.  Cardioid was derived as in the Schoeps (but about 15-18 years earlier).  

Cordially,
Tom

danalexander

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 11:17:18 PM »

In the last 30 years, ive had perhaps a dozen of these m201's. ..they are very rare..when they work properly, they are shocking sounding...very very good. comparable to ANY of the classic mics. most of these mics have the dual capsule head, but Ive seen pictures of one other of the large diaphragm capsules; correct me if im mistaken, i do not think the large capsule head has two diaphragms...one interesting note about these  mics: the famous mercury records 50's era "living stereo" recording process involved using 3 of these wonderful mics in a left/center/right array....as long as you have the cable, building an appropriate supply is not overly difficult...i believe i have a schematic of the mic system if you need one you can contact me via my website; you will also find a copy of the original sales flyer with pictures ( originally on the back of the 47 flyer) posted there......dan alexander

Tim Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 10:21:11 AM »

Speaking of these, there are 3 of them for sale on ebay right now, as well as a reportedly unopened cm-51 (not that i know what that is, but it looks relatively old.  I hope they sound good for that kind of price.

danalexander

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 02:36:43 AM »

the cm-51 is just not in the same sonic galaxy as the m201; although they look cool. unopened or not, the cm51 suffers from a lack of low end response...dan alexander

Bernhard Vollmer

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 10:08:29 AM »

.. CM51 or M201 is only the name of the amplifier part and says nothing about its capsule. For the M201 a two way capsule had been available as well as single diaphragm types. The CM51 could be equipped with a close speech capsule with similiar specifications as the current MK40 (http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/cardioids-proxi.html#mk40). This leads to the "lack of low end response" if you use it at distances above 10cm.

zebra50

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 12:13:20 PM »

Hi!,
I'd love to see a schematic for the 201. Does anyone have on that they could share?
Cheers!
Stewart Tavener
York, UK
www.omnipressor.com
Stewart Tavener
Xaudia - studio, ribbon mic repairs
http://www.xaudia.co.uk

danalexander

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 03:33:57 PM »

here's what i have for a schematic on the m201. ill also post the power supply.

danalexander

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 03:51:31 PM »

heres the ela 910 power supply for the 201

Bernhard Vollmer

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 05:32:03 AM »

.. we did not react until now as we thought that our copy would be too bad. But it seems to be more readable so here it is.

zebra50

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 06:20:18 AM »

Many thanks for this.
Stewart
Stewart Tavener
Xaudia - studio, ribbon mic repairs
http://www.xaudia.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.