R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LDC Mic Stands?  (Read 2049 times)

tomhartman

LDC Mic Stands?
« on: July 10, 2004, 10:13:57 PM »

I am wondering what most of you use, or recommend, for the larger condensor mics in regards to stands.

I have had U99s, and now a U87, that have to do double duty....one minute they are recording a vocalist, the next, being repositioned to mic a guitar cab or sitting acoustic player.

I've been using a boom/stand combination that is far too lightweight for these larger mics, and would appreciate any suggestions as to something more substantial.

Thanks
Tom Hartman

analog Tom

Re: LDC Mic Stands?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 12:24:22 PM »

I use Atlas MS-25s as my basic upright stand.  I use the Atlas MS-36B (with or without wheels) for heavy boom use.  I use a collection of AKG booms on the MS-25s, as needed.  (I think the AKG booms are actually made my K&M- but I'm not positive).  

One great advantage of the MS-25 is that it's heavy, cast, triangle base makes a stable surface on which to pile sandbags, when one needs more stability.  

Cordially,
Tom  

hollywood_steve

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 05:53:41 PM »

The 4 heavy duty models from Atlas (MS20, MS25, SB11, SB36) are fine if you can't budget any more for mic stands.  (and if you don't plan on taking your stands out of the studio often - Atlas stands don't travel well).  The only alternative to the Atlas stands (in this price range) that I would trust with one of my mics are the K&M line of stands from Germany; sold here badged as anything from Beyer to Akg.  They are not as heavy duty as the Atlas stands, but they are put together a little nicer.  (that's not saying very much; Atlas hardware looks like it was produced in a junior high metal shop.)

Manley's version of the old Starbird stand is very nice, but its also $1,000.  

Somehwere between those two price ranges, and offering an innovative design, the Latch Lake Music mic stand is very cool.
http://www.latchlakemusic.com/products/studioshop.asp

On the other hand, if you have any plans to do any remote/location recording, then you need to take a serious look at the lighting stands from Matthews, Bogen and others.  When you need to hang a 25lb Decca tree rig 16ft in the air, these guys will offer you a variety of ways to do it with ease.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:20:52 AM »

A lovely post. Concise and full of useful information.
Thank you.

P.S.:
Quote:

Atlas hardware looks like it was produced in a junior high metal shop.)

I rarely see these stands without a pair of pliers nearby. The adjustment thumbnuts are a joke.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.