R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lace Sensor Gold pickups for the studio Strat?  (Read 7216 times)

cameron_k

Lace Sensor Gold pickups for the studio Strat?
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:11 AM »

I’ve got an opportunity to pick up some Lace Sensor Gold pickups for a good price.  The studio’s Strat is a Fender Japan 1968 Strat Reissue, alder body, maple cap neck….. visualise Hendrix at Woodstock and you’re on the money.  It’s a nice guitar to play, and it suits some things very nicely, but it’s not particularly versatile as it’s fairly bright.

I haven’t played a Strat with Lace Golds and I was wondering if anyone’s had any experience with these and could chime in with an opinion.  As I said, I want versatility from this guitar  - clean/overdriven/fuzzy, single-note lead lines/chords, across a wide range of musical styles.

Any comments will be appreciated.

J.J. Blair

Re: Lace Sensor Gold pickups for the studio Strat?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56:21 AM »

I have found Japanese Strats to be extremely bright.  My work horse Strat is a late '80s Strat Plus with Lace Sensors.  However, I changed out the bridge pick up to a silver Lace Sensor, and was happier with that combination.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »

I'm not a fan of Lace Sensors but the "less hot" ones are better than the "hot" ones.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

C.Cash

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »

Ive tried the Lace pups, dont like them much. I put Kinmans in my Tele and Custom. I love them.

http://www.kinman.com/
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Barkley McKay

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »

Not lace sensors here, but I have installed Seymour Duncan vintage reissue type pickups in my 1987 Tokai Strat. The originals were bright and thin much like the Fender JV's, but the SD cetainly helped make the guitar more beefy and versatile. Mine is a rosewood neck which also mellows it a bit.

OT, I modded the selector on the guitar to make it like a telecaster combination (bridge/ Bridge-neck/ neck) and took the middle pickup out of the switch circuit. I then converted the nearest tone control into a volume control for that middle pickup, and add it if I need  that typical "out of phase" strat sound. Cetainly made the guitar versatile, even though I exclusively use my tele nowadays!

Barkley

J-Texas

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »

I play a red in the back and a gold up front. Great clean tone. You can get a VERY delicate sound out of the 2nd switch position too.

2 cents.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »

Try The Bare Knuckle Pick ups! really.

JDNelson

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »

Fender Custom Shop sells a '69 re-issue, and they're even hand-signed by Abigail Ybarra!

jimmyjazz

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »

I bought an American Standard Plus about 15 years ago.  It had Lace Sensor Gold pickups.

Had.

Now it has Van Zandts.  Lace Sensors suck all kinds of, well, things one might suck.  Run away.  The only time I recall hearing good tone through Lace Sensors is when David Gilmour was playing the guitar, and I'm of the opinion he could probably get good tone out of any guitar ever made, so it's pretty much a moot point.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »

Dunno why mine sound good, if everybody hates theirs.  Gilmour, Townshend and Clapton seem to get a good sound with them, too.  I don't find them any brighter than any other good Fender Strat pick up.  Maybe a little clearer, though.  I just thought the gold was a little wimpy in the bridge, which is why I put the silver in.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

cameron_k

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:19:42 PM »

Could I expect to obtain traditional Strat tones from Lace Sensors?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:01 PM »

I sure seem to get them in the clean tones.
studio info

Flowers Studio

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »

People are always cappin' on Lace Sensors, I don't get it. We have two Clapton Strats and a Tele Plus here and they all get used a ton right along with our vintage Fenders.

As JJ mentioned, some pretty serious players get very Strat-like tones out of those pickups. FWIW I think Townshend sounds absolutely amazing live playing essentially stock Clapton Strats. Not to mention that the RF rejection of Lace Sensors can be quite handy.
Ed Ackerson
Flowers Studio
Minneapolis

http://www.flowersstudio.com

Brian Kehew

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »

I find they have a weird comb filtering sound that does not ever go away. I disagree that these guitarists get their BEST tones from them - they can make anything sound good and do. I talked to the guys at Lace, and they make one now that has
"vintage" tone, but I think this won't change the way they pick up strings, which I find indistinct and slightly unclear tonally.
Relax and float downstream...

wwittman

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »

+1 on Brian

if it were ME, I'd buy Fralins

or a Gibson.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.