R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann SM69 FET users?  (Read 35083 times)

plughead

Neumann SM69 FET users?
« on: April 04, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »

Hi Folks,

I'm interested in user opinions on this mic: what does it excel on? What are its weaknesses?

Is there much difference between the USM69 and SM69 (FET) models?

Lastly, are there any known issues with this mic?

I did a few searches, but came up with very little (i.e. the thread about fixing the broken multi-core connector cable, and little more...)

Thanks a lot!

N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

Schallfeldnebel

Re: Neumann SM69 FET users?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »

OK, my 2 cents.

I'm interested in user opinions on this mic: what does it excel on? What are its weaknesses?
I think it is too sharp.

Is there much difference between the USM69 and SM69 (FET) models?
Noise and headroom. The USM69 has better specs than the SM69FET, selfnoise is lower in the USM69 and the max SPL is higher in the USM69.

Erik Sikkema

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

plughead

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

Eric,

Thanks for this info. I have heard the SM69 FET is a bright microphone - with the same capsule as the U67, I thought it might share some similarities, tho I know it is attenuated and implemented differently.

Cheers
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »

Because the U67 is dark-ish, the misconception is that the K67 is a dark capsule.  Actually, it is a very bright capsule.  Much more strident than a K47.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

plughead

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:25:43 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 20:30

Because the U67 is dark-ish, the misconception is that the K67 is a dark capsule.  Actually, it is a very bright capsule.  Much more strident than a K47.  

IME, I haven't found either of the U67's I've worked with to be dark - on the contrary, they can be very edgy on certain voices/styles.

That said, I'm totally interested in the "mids" of the K67 - can it(SM69) anywhere near resemble the U87/67 for "meat" in this register?

Thanks,
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »

I wonder why there's never been a stereo U-47... Seems it might have (have had)great appeal.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »

PlugHead wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 22:25

IME, I haven't found either of the U67's I've worked with to be dark - on the contrary, they can be very edgy on certain voices/styles.

Then they must be broken.  (Just kidding.)

When I say dark, I don't mean dark like a RCA 44.  I mean dark compared to a 47 or especially a C12.  That's why I said dark-ish.  67s have a steeper roll off in the high end than any other of the famous tube mics of the era, mandated by German broadcast specifications.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 08:14

I wonder why there's never been a stereo U-47... Seems it might have (have had)great appeal.

Barry, imagine the size of a mic that could accommodate two VF14s and two BV8s.  Maybe they figured it's just easier to use two U47s.  LOL.  At least with the SM69, you have AC701s, and a way smaller transformer.
studio info

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »

All you've said is true enough, I'm just picturing the beast in my head and how cool it would be...

jensenmann

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:04 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 17:14

When it was invented there was no stereo
Jens

drknob

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

Maybe no 'official' stereo. Stephen Temmer once played me a stereo orchestral recording recorded somewhere in Germany at the end of WW2. A bit of artillery in the background.... (Seriously!)
Harold Kilianski
CIRMMT, McGill University

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:17:46 AM »

There has been stereo since Cl

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »

Barry, the U94, courtesy of Photoshop:

index.php/fa/8485/0/

But it's more likely you'd want a stereo 48, so that you could do Blumlein.
studio info

MagnetoSound

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »

That's nice work, JJ,

but shouldn't the top capsule be rotated 90

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

J.J. Blair

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 01:33:59 PM »

Actually, I rotated the capsule of the bottom one in photoshop.  You just can't see it under the grill.  
studio info

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.