R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost albums file: Emm Gryner's "Public"  (Read 833 times)

RSettee

Lost albums file: Emm Gryner's "Public"
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »

I've always really loved this one--the songwriting is top notch, and the production (Warne Livesey) is good, too. Anyways, Emm wrote it, played piano/ keys and bass--and the basslines are super melodic, they really drive the album. So there's a really good DIY thing to it. The songs are really well arranged--there always seems to be a pre-chorus that is strong enough to function as a chorus, great ascending bridge parts, etc. Though I have a few qualms with the specifics of the mix/ production (overall a tad too slammed, guitars sound Amp Farm-ed) I like the ideas and input into it--strings, pianos, Wurlitzer, etc.

I don't think that it sold very well...it was released on Mercury/ A&M in 1998 right before A&M went under (as far as I know), and had one single that got a bit of airplay up here ("Summerlong"), but i'm not quite sure that it ever had the proper chance to succeed. 12 songs and every one sounds like it could be a single. Every time that I listen to it, I listen to it 3 times in a row or so, straight through.

johnny 5

Re: Lost albums file: Emm Gryner's "Public"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

I do like this album a lot..."Hello Aquarius" is a favorite. I had first heard these songs on 'The Original Leap Year' which is a lot more stripped down, so I wasn't prepared for the bigger production! It really does work though!

I'm a fan of Canadian female singer/songwriters overall - Emm, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sarah Slean (just got her new one in the mail yesterday!)...they never seem to do much here in the States, alas...but it's fun knowing music you can turn others on to!  Razz

RSettee

Re: Lost albums file: Emm Gryner's "Public"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Right on! Good to see that someone else remembers this...wow, has it really been ten years since it was released? I like how she didn't really fall into any obvious category for a female artist at the time--her stuff was bigger, a little more rock oriented at times than a Sarah, not folk singer/ songwriter stuff like Jewel, and maybe a little edgier or darker than a Chantal (more major to minor stuff, lyrical content is more breakup/ loss oriented, etc), and her writing her own songs, that separated her from alot of more mainstream artists in the same genre.

I feel like a total wimp listening to it, haha, but it's great stuff. And you're right, it's much bigger than "The Original Leap Year", but Warne and her took the biggest strengths of that and expanded on it.

David Wisdom played four songs from the album on his show on CBC and I was hooked--either he played the best four, I thought, or that was a random sampling of something that was a really high quality album. Other than that, I totally would have been in the dark. It's amazing how great music usually only has that one chance to present itself, otherwise, it's difficult to be aware of something with no awareness...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 17 queries.