R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Mic  (Read 59748 times)

phantom309

Re: Church Mic
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »

Billy Yates wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 09:26

. The bare ends are then tied into a half hitch and trimmed of excess material. Works like a charm. The installation took about 20 minutes.
Billy Yatesindex.php/fa/7583/0/

For those of us whom have never been on a boat:

http://www.realknots.com/knots/hitches.htm

Nice looking rig, Billy. How does it sound?

If anyone's curious and have not heard one of these mics, check out the oft mentioned "RoShamBo" by The Grays. Most, if not ALL, of the lead vocals were tracked using JJP's Church. NO, I wasn't there, but this was told to me by Jon Brion in a conversation about how great that record could have sounded. I still think it sounds great and it was the reason we have a Gibson RVT in the studio. That amp is featured on "Oh Well, Maybe"....all by itself after the keyboard solo/freakout.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

David Bock

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

Quote:

This microphone reflects how a great deal of thought and simplicity went into building it. This is a very serviceable unit...all point to point using only a small turret board. I wish all vintage microphones were built this way.

I disagree entirely. It was not designed for easy service a la u47, and much of the layout is happenstance. It was designed to prioritize shock mounting of the cable, which is fine. I'm happy most mics were not designed like it.
BTW, what's wrong with that one you have?
regards,
DB

J.J. Blair

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

David, did you ever work on JJP's Church?  Is there anything different about it from other Churches?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

I heard it was non-denominational.

Silvertone

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 15:09

I heard it was non-denominational.

Good one Terry!
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Billy Yates

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »

dbock wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 13:37

Quote:

This microphone reflects how a great deal of thought and simplicity went into building it. This is a very serviceable unit...all point to point using only a small turret board. I wish all vintage microphones were built this way.

I disagree entirely. It was not designed for easy service a la u47, and much of the layout is happenstance. It was designed to prioritize shock mounting of the cable, which is fine. I'm happy most mics were not designed like it.
BTW, what's wrong with that one you have?
regards,
DB

David...
It depends on what your definition of "Serviceable" is.
To me, it is a very easy unit to work on and very well built. Having never serviced a U-47 I can't compare or comment.
I agree to disagree and so forth...whatever.
The mic was noisy, due to the tube. I replaced it with one from my private stock, a GE 5 star 5751. It sounds fine at the bench here but it will go under the microscope at the studio later this week. I invited Ross Hogarth, JJ Blair and Ed Cherney to have a little shootout with this one, a U47 and maybe another Church that belongs to a friend of JJ's. This should be fun.
Very curious about the results.
Billy Yates

Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

David Bock

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:52 PM »

Quote:

To me, it is a very easy unit to work on and very well built.
then you haven't worked on enough of them to see the problems due to the design
Quote:

The mic was noisy, due to the tube. I replaced it with one from my private stock, a GE 5 star 5751

you might want to find a 6072, that mic doesn't need (or want)the extra gain of a 5751
regards,
DB

J.J. Blair

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 05:17:31 PM »

Billy, I was gonna say, I'd stick with the 6072.

David, any info on the JJP mic?  Anything different about that one?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Billy Yates

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2008, 05:21:17 PM »

dbock wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 16:09

Quote:

To me, it is a very easy unit to work on and very well built.
then you haven't worked on enough of them to see the problems due to the design
Quote:

The mic was noisy, due to the tube. I replaced it with one from my private stock, a GE 5 star 5751

you might want to find a 6072, that mic doesn't need (or want)the extra gain of a 5751
regards,
DB

Thanks David. I have several 6072/12AY7's stashed away.
I really don't want to cross swords with you on this David.
I don't design microphones, and you do...there is the difference.
I own them, fix them and use them. I make things work and make music, thats my job in life. So far I don't see anything wrong with the mic as long as it sounds good and does the job it was intended to do. If not, then I'll use something else or build my own.
Thanks for your comments.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Brian Kehew

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

>>I invited Ross Hogarth, JJ Blair and Ed Cherney to have a little shootout with this one,<<

MIC SHOOTOUT! Psheeww psheeewww (fingers pointed like a gun)
Relax and float downstream...

Billy Yates

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »

OK Corral?
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

phantom309

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 15:17

Billy, I was gonna say, I'd stick with the 6072.

David, any info on the JJP mic?  Anything different about that one?

Hey J.J.

I know NOTHING about that mic except that it's green, it scared the bejeezus out of us having to be responsible for it in the studio and it sounds amazing. If anyone from this forum would know the particulars about it's liddle innards, it would be B.K..

Ask Jack!

David T. Kean

J.J. Blair

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »

I don;t know that Jack  is a schematic and component guy.  He's more known for abusing techs than fixing things himself.  But I bet David has had the mic on his bench at one point or another.
studio info

Brian Kehew

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »

I've been asking about variations on Church mics. Seems there were none, they typically were as Klaus has said, although some have Nuvistors.
Relax and float downstream...

phantom309

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 22:01

I don;t know that Jack  is a schematic and component guy.  He's more known for abusing techs than fixing things himself.  But I bet David has had the mic on his bench at one point or another.

Ahh...THAT David. Sorry for the confusion.
David T. Kean
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.