R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Mic  (Read 59563 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Church Mic
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »

If you think about the transformers usually paired with 6072s, like a T14/1, it's actually kinda big!

How about those pics?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Brian Kehew

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »

I haven't heard one of the modern clones. I'm sure it sounds good - it is the EXACT transformer, a clone of the circuit board and a similar capsule. Might even sound better than an original then, but who would know? Older is ALWAYS better. Except in food.
Relax and float downstream...

Brian Kehew

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »

BTW - the oldest food I've eaten (not wine) was 15 year old "Elvis" bubble gum. It was the pink and hard stuff, so I thought it was impervious to age. It made me sick though. So I will never eat 15 year old food again; gotta have standards.

mgod

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »

I have some Easter "Peeps" in our wetbar, approaching 15 years on April 2nd or 3rd. You're welcome to try. They've been the household deities.

People tried to sell me Church mics long before Jon Brion lived here, JJ.

DS

"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »

Whatever.  I just know that Jon's espousing them got them more attention in Gear Slutz type places on the Internets.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Matt Winegar

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »

I remember Puigy using one on bass guitar amp years ago. Never seen another.

Billy Yates

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »

Okay...you guys are pack of cards! Just so you know, this mic is #101 and done up in milled anodized Black aluminum with the hanger being a U shaped affair with surgical rubber tubing as the shock absorber. From what I gather, they used some sort of line to hang the mount from a boom. The power supply connector is mounted onto the hanger thingy McWidget. Man, those guys were rather anal or ingenious or both. I dunno, but the mic is cool and looks very much like a 47 fet with a personality complex. Internally it is very well built and engineered unlike some of the delicate German/Austrian vintage types that I have repaired. The 1962 SM2 that I just worked on was a joke but that was how it was done back in the day. Bakelite or Micarta is not a useful substrate for copper traces. The bond just ain't happenin...easy with that soldering iron Eugene. Another funny thing about the SM2...where in the flying F*** is one supposed to find 150 meg resistors these days? Thank god I have the left overs from dead Ham Radio guys from the 1950's! You can skewer me all you want about this but I am dead set on the idea that it's ALL in the Capsule, Tube, Transformer and layout...lead dress as it were. Those cracked carbon or wire wound resistors are crap. Do they impart a sonic signature on sound? You betcha, but they are a bitch to work on and are noisy after 40+ years. The caps? Eh, well its a matter of taste I suppose...the PCB's are part of the tone folks and yes, they don't make them anymore. Thank God.
Like the old Tarryton cigarette commercials...I'd rather fight than switch. My rant will no doubt leave me with a black eye but the fact is, those parts are just damned hard to find and all these decades later we find ourselves shelling out huge sums of money for a technology that is no longer supported in the manufacturing sector.
In the end, we have to substitute a part with the right value but it won't sound the same. We can tailor the sonics by changing the value of an RC network to tame down the response to our liking but it still isn't the same. Is it really worth $10,000 dollars? You be the judge. Anything man made is subject to becoming obsolete with age and thats a fact we have to live with.
Stem cells do not apply to audio.
Meanwhile, my ADK GK-67 sounds rather bitchen and I can still afford to make my car payment...amen!
I think I'll just have some fun and see what sounds good on tape and to hell with the emblem on the case.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »

This thread is useless without pictures.
studio info

Billy Yates

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 12:38:52 AM »

JJ...
I'm working on it. I'm using a tripod to take accurate pictures without blur. I want to document this right.
Billy Yates

BTW, most of my posts are worthless!
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Podgorny

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »

index.php/fa/7475/0/
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 01:05:26 AM »

I had the pleasure of using Don Gehmans Church mic in the 80's in John Mellencamps Belmont on Johns records and on REM.
These 2 Chuech mics were like said, stubby black 47 fet looking mics
They were amazing
they killed just about any mic put up against them
they just had a special thing that was indescribable
you know when a sound is 3D
it has a special something
like the difference between a nice bright capsule and a nice bright real 47 or 67 or C12
you can only describe it as pulling out the detail of a sound in a very special way
I never had the chance to use them again after Don stopped making Johns records
His 2 mics were amazing tho

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Podgorny

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 01:07:55 AM »

I know this isn't Billy's Church 47, but for those who may not know what people are going on about here...

index.php/fa/7476/0/

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Larrchild

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 03:38:14 AM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Sat, 09 February 2008 01:05

I had the pleasure of using Don Gehmans Church mic in the 80's in John Mellencamps Belmont on Johns records and on REM.
These 2 Chuech mics were like said, stubby black 47 fet looking mics
They were amazing
they killed just about any mic put up against them
they just had a special thing that was indescribable
you know when a sound is 3D
it has a special something
like the difference between a nice bright capsule and a nice bright real 47 or 67 or C12
you can only describe it as pulling out the detail of a sound in a very special way
I never had the chance to use them again after Don stopped making Johns records
His 2 mics were amazing tho

Don's was the one I used on acoustic also, Ross.
Very detailed results.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

J.J. Blair

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 04:21:18 AM »

Billy, I'm giving you a hard time!  You get the pics when you get them.

Thanks for the pics, Kyle.  What I find interesting is the lack of stock Neumann pattern selector on the mic.  
studio info

Brian Kehew

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 05:53:10 AM »

microphones schmicrophones...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 16 queries.