R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Good books on mics  (Read 11633 times)

JonesH

Good books on mics
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

Hi!
Can you recommend any good books on microphones and mic techniques?

Below is a list of books I'm planning to buy, I'd very much appreciate if people gave their opinions on this list (i.e. which ones are good, wich ones aren't and so on):

Handbook for Sound Engineers (Ballou)
Microphones: Design and Application (Burroughs)
Sound Recording Handbook (Woram)
Acoustics (Beranek)
Recording Music on Location (Bartlett) (This is according to Bartlett himself the replacement for his Stereo mic techs book)
Tonmeister technology (Dickretter)
Microphone Book (Eargle)

Thank you!

davebl

Re: Good books on mics
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

Books I know are very useful are,

Sound Recording Handbook (Woram)
Tonmeister technology (Dickretter)
Microphone Book (Eargle)

Woram's book appears out of print though but it is good. I also understand there is a good amount of reference material from the BBC available. I will try to find links and post here if I can find them.

Dave Blackham
UK

volki

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

Ballou is a whole audio encyclopedia and covers several topics with great detail. very technical, IMO geared more towards designers than engineers.

Dickreiter - being german, i have the book in the original language; no idea what the english translation/edit is like. the german version is very detailed, but a bit old-fashioned (several obsolete topics) and little academic, too. the editors have a broadcast background, so most techniques are about recording classical music and speech. nevertheless a classic regarding those topics that don't go out-of-date.

Burroughs is about mics only and covers design & application with good detail, but never getting too technical as far as alectronics are concerned. IIRC burroughs was the one who first came up with the 3:1 rule...

Eargle is a little similar to burroughs but comes in more recent editions. appears a little more "hands-on" to me, with examples, fotos and all.

for individual miking, you might want to check out "professional microphone techniques" by david miles huber. comes with lots of examples of different instruments plus a cd.

HEY... while checking for the title at amazon, i just came across the "vintage microphone handbook" by - guess who - klaus himself...?!?
interesting! he might wanna tell us something about it? Wink

Volker Meitz

MagnetoSound

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »

Klaus has a book? Now there's a dark horse!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

MagnetoSound

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »

.... It's coming up as 'unavailable' in the UK. Might be out of print?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

davebl

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Vintage-Microphone-Handbook_W0QQit emZ290164628362QQihZ019QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1V QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Search ebay there's some copies on there.

Dave Blackham

UK

MagnetoSound

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »

Thanks Dave, just got one .... didn't think to look on eBay - duh!

- Larry DeVivo

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

davebl wrote on Mon, 14 January 2008 09:14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Vintage-Microphone-Handbook_W0QQit     emZ290164628362QQihZ019QQcategoryZ378QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1V QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118
Search ebay there's some copies on there.
Dave BlackhamUK

If anybody still doubted my continued warnings about buying anything microphone-related on eBay, here is proof:

Writing of the book is not even half finished, let alone '7 copies available'. Even the (preliminary) cover art was lifted from Hal Leonard's catalogue where they introduce new/ future titles to the trade. The book will be out earliest in August '08.

I have contacted the publisher to have the auction pulled immediately. Sorry for having been exposed to a fraudulent auction involving this forum's host!!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

MagnetoSound

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »

Phew, thanks Klaus! Luckily I hadn't paid for mine yet. Hope nobody else got caught ....

- Larry DeVivo

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »

Klaus:  You and your publisher should take people's names for signed copies, perhaps the first one thousand books, as the authors did for "Recording the Beatles."
You can put my name first if you like.   Smile
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

davebl

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »

Sorry for finding the link but best be aware of it now. I hope it sorts it self out.

Please add me to the list of eager customers for a copy when available.

Dave Blackham
UK

MagnetoSound

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

I guess I'll take third place, then.

- Larry DeVivo

volki

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 06:26:19 AM »

klaus, would you care to drop a few hints regarding your book?
like, which topics you`re touching on, how deep you go into technical detail etc.

having been around this forum for a while, i wonder how much overlapping there will be between the contents of this forum and the book...? Wink

PM sent. KH
Volker Meitz

Reuben Ghose

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »

The Burroughs book is probably one of my favourite books on microphones and recording in general.  There's info in there that you won't find in any other books.  Unfortunately, it's out of print and quite difficult to find.

The Dickretter book is also amazing.  Unfortunately, I believe the English version is also out of print.  Disappointing that some of the best books don't seem to be available anymore.

Lebre

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 10:44:12 AM »

is it "modern recording technique" by david miles huber?

from microphones I only got "microphone manual: design and application" from him..

I have eagle one, do you recommedn also borrough and one of these from david miles huber? the modern recording technique sounded interesting as you refer this writer

thnks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.