R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?  (Read 36387 times)

Fibes

The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »

I heard something about a mercenary answer to one of my favorite mics.

IZZIT TROO?

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Halfway Competent

Re: The Mercenary answer to the KM 84?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

I believe that is the Josephson C42 you are thinking of:

http://www.mercenary.com/josephsonc42.html

I've never used it or a KM-84, so I can't comment on whether this truly is a KM-84 substitute.  

trock

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »

yes, i read fletcher was sick and tired of not having an 84 so mercenary commissioned someone to build a mic for them. i think its km-69 or something. however it is not a clone, its its own mic, but i read on GS or somewhere its very tasy and around 950 US.

something like that, fletcher can fill you in more

Bill_Urick

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:08:53 AM »

trock wrote on Mon, 07 January 2008 19:44

yes, i read fletcher was sick and tired of not having an 84 so mercenary commissioned someone to build a mic for them. i think its km-69 or something. however it is not a clone, its its own mic, but i read on GS or somewhere its very tasy and around 950 US.

something like that, fletcher can fill you in more

Try $400.00.
Can they make a KM86 knock-off as well?
Please.....
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:29:21 AM »

Still a couple of weeks from it's full release the KM-69 is Mercenary's first product... it's a small diaphragm FET condenser that started out being based on the KM-84 but it ain't a KM-84.  

The progression is sort of like how the Great River MP-2NV relates to a Neve 1073 pre-amp... in other words... we followed the technological progression and made the mic a bit quieter, and a bit more open sounding [not harsh, not "forced bright"... but "open"].

The mic will retail in the US for $950 USD... the important parts are made and assembled in the US... stuff like the body tube, the clip, the cardboard and wooden boxes, the logo badge are all made in China.

We were hoping to have it out before X-Mas... now we're hoping by February.

There will be all kinds of poop and hoopla when we have everything ready to ship... in the meanwhile there are demo units available from Jukebox LTD. in Paris and Unity Audio in the UK... in the US, we're still working on it.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

ricknroll

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 08 January 2008 04:29

in other words... we followed the technological progression and made the mic a bit quieter, and a bit more open sounding [not harsh, not "forced bright"... but "open"].

Fletcher,

Have you compared them to Klaus-modded KM-84s?  I've got a pair (technically, Telefunken-branded M280Ns, but the same mic as the KM84 less the -10dB pad) that he modded and as far as I understand it, he removes negative feedback from the amp, which results in a more "open" sound.

Rick

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »

Nope... we haven't compared them to a Klaus modded '84... but would love the opportunity to do so!!!

I've never heard anything come from German Master Works that wasn't absolutely brilliant!!!  That man has a real touch with the tools of the trade!
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Mon, 07 January 2008 17:24

I believe that is the Josephson C42 you are thinking of:

http://www.mercenary.com/josephsonc42.html

I've never used it or a KM-84, so I can't comment on whether this truly is a KM-84 substitute.  

Apparently this ain't it.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

trock

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »

no the c42 is the c42, the KM-69 is all new and something mercenary developed totally new, should be exciting!

Barry Hufker

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »

And given Fletcher's tiff with Neumann, the "69" is "fuck Neumann"?

tom eaton

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »

or, "here's to our mutual pleasure"?

wwittman

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

so.
what kind of transformer does it use?

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 08 January 2008 07:29

Still a couple of weeks from it's full release the KM-69 is Mercenary's first product... it's a small diaphragm FET condenser that started out being based on the KM-84 but it ain't a KM-84.  

The progression is sort of like how the Great River MP-2NV relates to a Neve 1073 pre-amp... in other words... we followed the technological progression and made the mic a bit quieter, and a bit more open sounding [not harsh, not "forced bright"... but "open"].

The mic will retail in the US for $950 USD... the important parts are made and assembled in the US... stuff like the body tube, the clip, the cardboard and wooden boxes, the logo badge are all made in China.

We were hoping to have it out before X-Mas... now we're hoping by February.

There will be all kinds of poop and hoopla when we have everything ready to ship... in the meanwhile there are demo units available from Jukebox LTD. in Paris and Unity Audio in the UK... in the US, we're still working on it.

Peace.

Twisted Evil
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Wed, 09 January 2008 14:15

And given Fletcher's tiff with Neumann, the "69" is "fuck Neumann"?

Uhhhh.... I don't know what your life is all about but to me "69" is "we're both happy"... hence the M-A phone number is [+1] 508-543-0069... 00=we're not talking... 69=we're both happy.

It certainly ain't "fuck Neumann"... if anything it's 'let's take Neumann to the next level of pleasure'.

wwittman wrote on Wed, 09 January 2008 20:18

so.
what kind of transformer does it use?

One that is exceptionally proprietary, made only for this microphone/amplifier circuit and has a frequency response to die for!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Barry Hufker

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »

I understand the traditional meaning of 69.  I figured that while you respect Neumann's product (the 84) I don't recall you respecting Neumann's sales price policy.  I (wrongly) deduced that 69 was a close as one could come graphically to "fuck those people".

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »

Nah... I think posting a picture of Hitler talking into 3x CMV-3 microphones was about as much of a "fuck you" as was really necessary... seeing that I didn't create the man, nor the mics, nor the photograph reminding folks of the good ol' Neumann history is about as "fuck them" as one could do.

The current M-A product has only to do with my requirements as a recording engineer... there is no venom nor vengenance behind the product.

The whole thing started as a misguided but well intended action on my part... through the whole "Mercenary Editions" thing I have been in contact with some of the world's best analog audio designers... so when I need something or think of something I can often get someone to build it for me.

Well this little bit of meglomania got a tad out of hand so I had a friend design this mic for me... and then dumbass that I am realized that we didn't have a "manufacturing partner" to make it a Mercenary Edition... which meant that I either had the world's most expensive one of a kind small diaphragm FET condenser mic in my arsenal or we better start to figure out how to manufacture this product so we could recoup the R&D costs...

Sometimes some of the best ideas come from a small bit of stupidity... hopefully this is one of them.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 17 queries.