R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recent monitor experiences  (Read 3171 times)

mcsnare

recent monitor experiences
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:19:11 PM »

Some of you guys know that we have been remodeling a room at Scott Hull Mastering for me to work in. It's almost finished, mainly cosmetic stuff left to do. After lots of experiments with moving treatments around, changing the type of treatment, various corner trap experiments, and LOTS of moving around of speakers, I'm happy to report it sounds awesome. Here is an interesting thing I've discovered. After trying a pair of Duntech Sovereigns which I love to work on in Scott's room, I've decided they just won't work in my smaller room. So I went back to my previous monitors, a pair of N802's, to see if those would work.
After a lot of experimentation with setup I found a place where the low end sounds great, which was the main issue with the Duns. The only problem is, I have gotten used to a less 'forward' and smoother sound in the upper mids. The N802's, at least in this situation, are a little to hot in that roughly 3-5k area so I tried a passive biamp setup with an amp that has volume controls so that I can turn down the juice going to the mid/tweeter crossover terminal. It works like a charm. I haven't measured anything yet, but I'd judge backing the amp off on the top by about 3db is doing exactly want I want. Thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else looking to slightly calm down a pair of N802's.
Dave

bblackwood

Re: recent monitor experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

I told you you needed to try them in that room.

Congrats on getting it dialed in. Now send me some pics.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mcsnare

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »

Buy me a Cello Duet 350 and I'll send you some pics. Laughing
Dave

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:22:30 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 05 January 2008 17:19

Some of you guys know that we have been remodeling a room at Scott Hull Mastering for me to work in.

Congrats on the new digs Dave!

Post some pics of your rig & room.

Tell us more about your room dimensions vs speaker placement location.

btw - Scott's one of my favorite MEs, mastering Steely Dan and all.

Best - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 05 January 2008 22:22

Buy me a Cello Duet 350 and I'll send you some pics. Laughing

Your Krell not happening in there or is it a matter of amp-envy after working in Scott's room with his 'Tower-o-Cello'?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

mcsnare

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »

The Krell sounds great, but with this passive biamp setup, I'm borrowing one of the other engineers' Hafler P7000 for the mid/hi and using the KSA-250 on the bass. Even though I can't hear anything negative from the Hafler, my audio neurosis won't let me fully 'embrace' this setup until I get an amp for the mid/hi with more of a fancy pedigree. There is a review on some audio website where the guy says he had a KSA-250 and a Levinson No. 333 in his rig and the Cello Duet SMOKED both of em. Scott says that the Duets are very close to a pair of Performance II's. To make matters worse there is a Duet(which are super rare) on Ebay right now. My mind tells me that things sound great now and in the larger scheme of things it didn't matter on the 4 albums I've already done using the  802's in the new room both single and biamped. My Monkey Nerve still twitches for a Cello...... Ya'll feel me?
Dave

mcsnare

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »

J.T., the room is small, about 13'X 15' with a 10' ceiling. The only position that worked for me sound wise is where the speakers are almost in the middle of the room. Things are oriented on the long wall and my back is only 2 or 3 feet from the wall. The sub sounded best near a side wall when using one amp, but worked better in between the speakers and closer to the front wall but phase reversed when using the biamp setup. I have the speakers on cement blocks to raise them about 2 or 3 inches. I've been meaning to take some pics but I don't have the Farrah poster, and the various black light Elvis' hung yet. I'll post some pics when we get things looking more finished or Brad buys me that Cello, which ever comes first.
Dave

turtletone

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

well you could always tape some toilet paper over the midrange to soften it up. The kind with the little pillows.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 10:52

I've been meaning to take some pics but I don't have the Farrah poster, and the various black light Elvis' hung yet.

You mean this one (?):

http://web.syr.edu/~lemoise/originals/Images/farrah-fawcett0 2.jpg

Talk about your Platinum seller!

We've actually got a black velvet Elvis at our studio.

One year we were working on an Elvis tribute CD, hung it in the studio with a spotlight to capture the E-vibe.

Glad things are going well in NYC Dave.

Cheers - JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Sonovo

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »

Oooooh that's a *really* nice amp, Dave....

Only $3000, you could always offload it for the same and not be any worse off if your setup changes down the road. You should pick it up before some European buyer takes advantage of the exchange rate and snipes it out from under you Rolling Eyes.

I'd say go for it. How much do you think you can you get for your Krell? Very Happy

What did you guys do with the office/editing suite that was in the room? Pushed into a corner, or did you find a new room for it?

It would be great to see some pics when things settle down and you get a minute.

Cheers,
Thor

(B.t.w - I ordered a new pair of monitors just before Christmas and am scratching my head wandering where they got to. They sure as *** haven't arrive here, and the seller is silent on the matter. Sad)

mcsnare wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 14:40

The Krell sounds great, but with this passive biamp setup, I'm borrowing one of the other engineers' Hafler P7000 for the mid/hi and using the KSA-250 on the bass. Even though I can't hear anything negative from the Hafler, my audio neurosis won't let me fully 'embrace' this setup until I get an amp for the mid/hi with more of a fancy pedigree. There is a review on some audio website where the guy says he had a KSA-250 and a Levinson No. 333 in his rig and the Cello Duet SMOKED both of em. Scott says that the Duets are very close to a pair of Performance II's. To make matters worse there is a Duet(which are super rare) on Ebay right now. My mind tells me that things sound great now and in the larger scheme of things it didn't matter on the 4 albums I've already done using the  802's in the new room both single and biamped. My Monkey Nerve still twitches for a Cello...... Ya'll feel me?
Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.