R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample rate convertor for Protools HD  (Read 7226 times)

davebl

Sample rate convertor for Protools HD
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

What is the most transparent sample rate convertor for Protools ? Im hoping to get a Weiss 'equivilent' and am not sure if there is one available.

thanks,

Dave

maarvold

Re: Sample rate convertor for Protools HD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »

Izotope looks very promising--maybe even slightly better than Weiss.  

http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Garrett H

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:17:26 AM »

Pro Tools Tweakhead setting is very nice.  If you're not satisfied with that level of SRC, you should look at the Weiss Saracon software.

On the PC I have had nice results with Voxengo's R8Brain Pro and on the Mac I like Barbabatch.

Best,
GH
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:35:13 AM »

Garrett H wrote on Fri, 02 May 2008 07:17

Pro Tools Tweakhead setting is very nice.  If you're not satisfied with that level of SRC, you should look at the Weiss Saracon software.

On the PC I have had nice results with Voxengo's R8Brain Pro and on the Mac I like Barbabatch.

Best,
GH

Another free option that is quite good is Voxengo r8brain.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

maarvold

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

I bought Barbabatch because, to me, it sounds better than Tweakhead.  But I'm going to get Izotope soon.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

maarvold

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »

I did get Izotope RX a few weeks ago.  Haven't really had time to fully test it out, but I've been really happy with the preliminary results.  I did a 24-48 to 16-44.1 conversion of a quasi-orchestral cue for a kid's movie yesterday.  I felt like there was almost no difference between the two, especially in terms of retention of natural tone color (such as it is with synth samples, albeit good ones) and excellent retention of 3 dimensional depth and width of the quasi-soundstage as well.  Also, I had to remove some GigaStudio type clicks today and Izotope RX's DeClicker was super easy and effective.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Rich Breen

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »

maarvold wrote on Mon, 23 June 2008 17:07

I did get Izotope RX a few weeks ago....  

Hi Mike - RX is a very nice product.  FWIW - you can also get Izotope's SRC converter at a very nice price in AudioFile Engineering's Wave Editor.

best,
rich

drknob

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »

Rich! Mike!
I'm all verklempt.
I assume you guys have seen this:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/

If you check out the test results, both r8brain and Izotope perform very well. Barbabatch less so.
If you believe graphs.... Razz
Harold Kilianski
CIRMMT, McGill University

maarvold

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

Harold!!  Get un-verklempt!!!  I spent a whole lot of time last week with Izotope RX SRC'ing and downbitting a female vocal (light, bright-ish, breathy voice) with string section.  I needed to take the track from 24 bit 48 k to 16 bit 44.1 k.  I did this process with Barbabatch (my previous SRC of choice) and it did a good job (and was very quick & easy), but it increased the apparent volume of the vocal in the track by a little less than 1 dB; I'm pretty sure this effect occurred because it added a touch of top end 'buzz' that wasn't present in the original.  Then I started trying to beat that result with Izotope.  For me--and maybe it was because I was hyper-focused--there was a lot of variation in the results I got... it was a little maddening because I was being really critical about trying to create the exact sonic impression that the original mix gave.  It felt like the two areas that things changed (depending on the parameters chosen) were 200-500 Hz and roughly 8 k and above.  Cutting to the chase, I felt like I was able to beat the result I got from Barbabatch in the areas of naturalness, depth retention, detail retention and not incurring any additional [unwanted] brightness while retaining the character of the top end that was there.  Neither processed file sounds just like the original, but I like the Izotope result better--although I had to work fairly hard to get it.  The next question to be answered is whether my new default Izotope treatment will apply similarly to other projects or if I'll have to log in a fair amount of time yet again.  But I think it's like playing an instrument: it will get better and faster with practice.  YMMV.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Alexey Lukin

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »

maarvold wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 14:10

Neither processed file sounds just like the original...

This is most probably due to your D/A converter, not the SRC. Try returning the file back to 48 kHz with the same SRC - it should be pretty close to the original.

maarvold

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

I have to say I'm skeptical that this will be true since each SRC imprints its own 'personality' on the original, but I will try it and report.  It will have to wait a week or 2 though.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.