R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hats, hair, wax and music  (Read 751 times)

Patrik T

Hats, hair, wax and music
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »

The recent month I've been amazed by the amount of headwear that people have on, inside of the studio-complex where I use one of many rooms.

Guys coming out of rooms where audio work obviously is happening with big grunge-beanies. Trucker caps. And so on.

Some weeks ago I had a band member sitting behind me during a mix job and he, like individuals in bands often are, was full of opinions.

Mostly regarding his own, somehat pityassed electric guitar contribution to the over-all. Anyways:

With thick and huge hair completely covering up his ears he sat there and spoke about "unaudible" audibilities.

After a while it also came up that he in fact was going to a doctor to flush his ears free of wax the next day. And when I got out of my room the first thing passing by was another cap.

My question is:

Do you often see this in your studios or where you're at. I thought it was rare, but all kind of hip producers and stuff actually sit there at their desks with big hats on their heads.

What the fuck?

Best Regards
Patrik

Fig

Re: Hats, hair, wax and music
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »

I had an experience with a dreadlocked bass player wearing a stocking cap (in the summer).

He's sitting in the control room overdubbing his bass with headphones OVER his wool stocking cap, which was covering his ears as well as his thick locks.

Him:  "Can you turn up the cans?"

Me:  clockwise turning of headphone amp's output knob

Him:  "Can you turn up the cans a little more?"

Me:  more clockwise turning, looking at his face to determine if I go too far.  Sudden stop to the clockwise turning.  Look down - amp is all the way up.  I can hear the cue mix from my position ten feet away.

Him:  "Yeah, I don't know - it still sounds muffled and a little distorted."

Me:  "Can you take off your hat?"

Him:  Removes headphones, removes cap, pulls back hair, reseats headphones.

Him:  "Holy $hit can you turn down the cans!?!"

Rolling Eyes
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

mgod

Re: Hats, hair, wax and music
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Thu, 20 December 2007 12:12

pityassed

Its important learn a new word each day to build your vocabulary power. This one is mine!

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.