R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Like a straight wire with gain..."  (Read 10236 times)

Jim Williams

Re: "Like a straight wire with gain..."
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »

Depending on the source, some preamps are really low pass filters with an aural exciter thrown in.

Might work for some kid banging on an electric guitar, but try using say an API preamp on a bell tree, it won't work.

Here's a question for ya, if you had to give up your ears and get an implant, which preamp would you pick for general listening?

I can only imagine being forced to hear the world through rose colored ears. If we had API ears, we would have never evolved as the saber toothed tigers would have finished us off thousands of years ago.

Food for thought, or food for big cats?
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

tom eaton

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:37:42 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Thu, 03 January 2008 11:33

Might work for some kid banging on an electric guitar, but try using say an API preamp on a bell tree, it won't work.

Jim...I think there have been many kids who have made okay records (even great sounding records) using their API toys.

I love what you've done with my personal gear, but remind me not to send you anything with a transformer in it!

I'll happily record a bell tree through my APIs, by the way.  I'll send you the recording if you want to call it names.

-tom

hargerst

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »

After the mic, I think the other things that get thrown into the chain do more to color the sound than the preamp does.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Jim Williams

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Thu, 03 January 2008 18:37

Jim...I think there have been many kids who have made okay records (even great sounding records) using their API toys.

I love what you've done with my personal gear, but remind me not to send you anything with a transformer in it!

I'll happily record a bell tree through my APIs, by the way.  I'll send you the recording if you want to call it names.

-tom

I'd just probably change the iron to Jensen. Those work for me.
Maybe the opamp, too. Then there are those coupling caps. Then the power supply caps, and so on.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Hank Alrich

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »

Dave Martin wrote on Tue, 11 December 2007 11:34

Quite honestly, if a rock and roll record is boring, it isn't the preamp's fault.

LOL!   .sig material there, Dave.

"You got to lively up yo' preamp"

I've not used any of the True pres, but I have used some Grace pres and they were quite good. Can't see they'd keep anybody from making a great recording if they had great music to start with.

maarvold

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »

Hank Alrich wrote on Fri, 04 January 2008 08:56

...I've not used any of the True pres...

I am a "straight wire with gain" guy.  I did audition the True preamps and passed.  They were pretty good, but not good enough; there was something I didn't like about them.  I ended up buying Millennias (more expensive).  Then I bought Gordons (even more expensive).  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

wwittman

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »

really?

can you run some tones through an API mic pre and PROVE it has less top than other mic pres?

so all those years when Command Studios or Record Plant had API desks and someone came in with a bell tree, they had to say "sorry. Can;t record that here" and offered a referral to another studio???
I think not.

on the other issue:
I've never had anyone walk into the control room for playback and say the equivalent of: "Hey!! My snare drum sounds better in here than out there! FIX that!"

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Andy Simpson

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:52 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 19 January 2008 21:54

can you run some tones through an API mic pre and PROVE it has less top than other mic pres?

I'd also like to hear more specifics on that. I think he's suggesting that the harmonic distortion would be ugly on such an instrument - how does it do on tambourine?

Andy

gwailoh

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »

Quote:

how does it do on tambourine?

Just fine.  I use API pre's on tamborine routinely.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them on bell tree, myself.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.