R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neve 1076 (vs. 1073)  (Read 15795 times)

Jeff Goodman

Re: Neve 1076 (vs. 1073)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »

I worked at AMS-Neve during the time that the new 1081's were just ramping (slowly) into production, and while Robin spent endless hours deciding to/ convincing Crabtree/ and sourcing the entire 1073.

Let me tell everyone: The new ones are not only at least as good as the old ones, almost everybody I know that has spent any time with both will tell you that new 1081s, 1073s or 1084s are BETTER.

Robin will not compromise any detail for these modules.

They are very expensive, but not much more than old ones and their required maintenence.

If you must own something Neve, these new ones are, without doubt, the way to go.

There are no commercially available clones that can compare. NONE.

Jeff Goodman
Tonelux

MagnetoSound

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

Jeff Goodman wrote on Thu, 29 November 2007 18:03

Let me tell everyone: The new ones are not only at least as good as the old ones, almost everybody I know that has spent any time with both will tell you that new 1081s, 1073s or 1084s are BETTER.

Thanks Jeff, can you tell us how or why they are better?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »

Jeff Goodman wrote on Thu, 29 November 2007 13:03

I worked at AMS-Neve during the time that the new 1081's were just ramping (slowly) into production, and while Robin spent endless hours deciding to/ convincing Crabtree/ and sourcing the entire 1073.

Robin will not compromise any detail for these modules.

They are very expensive, but not much more than old ones and their required maintenence.

If you must own something Neve, these new ones are, without doubt, the way to go.

There are no commercially available clones that can compare. NONE.

Jeff Goodman
Tonelux

Hopefully for once, Reason will reign.

I am so tired of mystical feelings.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 29 November 2007 19:32

That's because of that green stuff you insist eating!

On a more serious note, as great as the new preamps are I'm thinking people find it hard to invest when the value will decrease pretty quickly from the get-go compared to the big wad of money you chunk into a vintage unit.

Then again, there are professional facilities that need their stuff to work while they get their income by recording music... The choice to get the new units would be a no-brainer in that case.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Jeff Goodman

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 09:45:29 PM »

Quote:

Thanks Jeff, can you tell us how or why they are better?

Well, the consensus seemed to be that all the regular 'Neve-y' adjectives apply as normal yet the new ones were, just as Dom C said above, maybe a little clearer and a little 'bigger'. Plus, as has been noted time and time again (and rightly so) all the pots and switches are new and you get a warranty for not much more cost than a used one.

On top of that, the production process for nearly every component in everything has improved in the last thirty years and the tolerances are better overall. This means that the new modules will sound consistently exactly the same as one another and will probably not drift much for a very long time.    

The one thing that I will say though, as Geoff T reminded me, is that the metal work on the new ones is a little bit thinner, and slightly less reinforced.

I haven't seen that as a problem myself, maybe someone else has. The difference is small and they are still more than sturdy enough.

Hope that answers something.

Too tired to write more.

Jeff Goodman
Tonelux  

Jeff Goodman

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 12:50:18 AM »

Quote:

Hopefully for once, Reason will reign.

Hi Terry,

I completely agree.

Best,

Jeff Goodman
The Reasonable Tonelux Guy

MagnetoSound

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »

Good points well made, Jeff.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

2000F

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 06:57:35 AM »

Thank you so much, mates. Really appreciated!!!

Chris Moore

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 09:01:28 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 28 November 2007 10:11

What is wrong with the newly made Neve modules?

Robin Porter of Neve, who cares deeply for the original vintage qualities,  worked very, very hard for a long time to source the absolute same original parts, and if they did not exist today, he had the same original manufacturers make them again from the original parts and specs.

Unlike many old ones, these new will work flawlessly for many years to come.

A friend of mine has these Neve 1073 reissues, and while they sound great, the knobs seem extremely flimsy and cheap. I'm not sure if this is an issue with his specific unit, but it certainly gave the impression that it wouldn't be long before it needed to be sent to the repair shop.
Chris Moore

Dominick

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 01:37:59 AM »

We have a pair 1081 reissues at Sony over 8 years old that bounced (literally) between studios. Haven't had any issues with knobs. The Isostat switch caps are just as crappy as the originals were.
Like Jeff said, the only only physical difference is the slightly thinner metalwork, which has been an issue with vertically racked units (racks of eight)
The "bumps" of metal that sit in the plastic guide flatten due to the module weight, causing the improper seating between module & frame connectors. Easily remedied by bowing the flattened "bump" back out. Not an issue with the horizontally mounted racks of 2.
Dominick Costanzo
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 17 queries.