R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe Sound "Dynamic Toolbox" stereo comp - looks cool!  (Read 5496 times)

TotalSonic

Safe Sound "Dynamic Toolbox" stereo comp - looks cool!
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:49:07 PM »

Has anyone here heard the new Safe Sound  "Dynamic Toolbox" stereo comp/limiter yet?  From the description the features on it look like they'd be possibly a cool thing for mastering - i.e. runs either dual mono or with optionally linkable controls, seperate comp & limiter controls, sweepable hi-pass & low-pass filters with lots of ranges on both for optional side chain tuning, seperate signal paths for either electronically balanced or transformer balanced outputs, capable of parallel compression with a blend for "dry" & "wet" signals, etc.

Definitely am curious to hear this thing. At $2000 USD street price ($2350 with the Lundahl transformer option) it seems almost too cheap for all the features.

http://www.aybg12.dsl.pipex.com/dynamics.html

http://www.aybg12.dsl.pipex.com/img/dt_front.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Berson

brett

Re: Safe Sound "Dynamic Toolbox" stereo comp - looks cool!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:56:12 PM »

very cool box.

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:22:10 PM »

brett wrote on Mon, 26 November 2007 17:56

very cool box.

You've heard it?  Or just (like myself) like the look of the features?   From their website it seems like Front End Audio has them back ordered currently so might be a while before I can demo one.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »

Me likey the features...  The dual-path outputs are nifty too (although I suppose that would fall into the "feature" set also).  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

MASSIVE Mastering wrote on Mon, 26 November 2007 20:30

Me likey the features...  The dual-path outputs are nifty too (although I suppose that would fall into the "feature" set also).  

Yeah - about the only thing I would want to the features list in addition in any "dream" mastering comp (besides amazing sound) would be a built in M/S matrix as a switchable option.  The TRS 1/4" connectors instead of XLR's on the back is a slight bummer, and the fact that going from opamp to transformer output has to be done via selecting which output cables go the input (instead of what to me would be more preferably done via internal switch), plus I'm pretty sure that this thing is all continuously variable pots (but with center detents for some parameters and optional stereo control linking)  - but if the sound is there all of this is really a non-issue at that price point.  

I'm still really interested in auditioning the Vintage Design CL1mk2 also (which also has a really nice feature set as well - including stepped controls for everything except make up gain).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Patrik T

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:07 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 27 November 2007 03:31

Yeah - about the only thing I would want to the features list in addition in any "dream" mastering comp (besides amazing sound) would be a built in M/S matrix as a switchable option.

Since you mention Vintagedesign further down in your post...about one year ago I had some contact with the V-man himself. He told me he had some MEQ planned.

And that it would be an expensive story.

Anyway - I proposed the option to switch between L/R mode or M/S mode in the EQ itself. Left side being left or mid. Right being right or side. Just the flip of a switch.

Still not sure if such a design would cause more harm than good in the long run...

Best Regards
Patrik

Tim Boyce

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »

to the top ..

it's been 3 years since this last post . . In that time has anyone gotten a chance to hear one of these boxes?

Looks pretty cool ... how are the pots? Too touche' for mastering/recall?

How's the build quality? Can't imagine it's extra thick, super-tank at that price? but is it tin-can?

most importantly ... how does it *sound* ??

SafeandSound

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

I like the name of this unit !

Very functional but looks fiddly and now the Foote Control stereo compressor is out and about it has rather stiff competition.
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.