R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann U87Ai - What's not to love?  (Read 37696 times)

compasspnt

Re: Neumann U87Ai - What's not to love?
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 12:49:27 PM »

Tim Campbell wrote on Sun, 07 September :46

"...Neumann...would probably only exist as a nameplate
affixed to a lesser quality product that bought the name as a way of gaining respectability...

And his differs from reality...how?

But perhaps I overspeak.

Jørn Bonne

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 05:47:58 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 18:41

The bass-shyness of Neumann's currently made double back plate capsules is not consistent.
While there are still samples of perfectly balanced K870s (go figure!), I have noticed a bass drop-off on the majority of K87 capsules I have heard since about ten years.

It may have been even longer since the bass curtailment started, but it definitely has gotten worse lately.

The reason I supplied Neumann with the two samples I mentioned was that the older one was made at least ten years ago, and is of a series when this lack of bass was not an issue yet.

Klaus

Have you been able to partially or fully compensate for the bass-shy K870 capsules by changing the value in the DC decoupling capacitor in these mics?

JB

Tomas Danko

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 06:40:25 AM »

Tim Campbell wrote on Sun, 07 September 2008 17:46

Quote:

Another question is has Sennheiser's acquisition of Neumann done anything good for the product line?

I can only say yes in that if it weren't for Sennheiser's aquisition of Neumann they would probably only exist as a nameplate
affixed to a lesser quality product that bought the name as a way of gaining respectability.

It isn't necessary to know the exact tuning frequency in this case. Only if there is a difference between capsules having proper bass and those that do not. The method I described will tell you this.

One could argue that recent products are not much more than that; Lesser products with a nameplate that gives respectability.

(Note that I'm not saying they are useless products, I stated lesser products compared to previous models from Neumann.)
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »

Quote:

Klaus,
Have you been able to partially or fully compensate for the bass-shy K870 capsules by changing the value in the DC decoupling capacitor in these mics?

That is indeed my current "work-around" to this problem. It does the job, but I'd rather wish I didn't have to compensate at all but let the electrons free-flow without them having to jump through hoops.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Jørn Bonne

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

Yeah, hope Neumann is able to find the cause of the problem and correct it.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW what's a good ballpark value for the coupling cap in a new U87ai with a bass shy k870, in your experience.

JB
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.