R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy Simpson's New Microphone  (Read 31436 times)

MagnetoSound

Re: Announcement: New Microphone
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »

I'm curious too..... a megaphone has a flared horn - this thing reminds me slightly of a parabolic surveillance mic except the sides of the 'horn' aren't curved. Is it cardioid, or what??

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »

A waveguide for a tweeter goes the other way, I wonder what happens with this 'inverted' guide so-to-speak in this implementation.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

MagnetoSound

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 01:42:25 PM »

It's not so much 'inverted' though ... a parabolic receptor is concave (like a satellite dish), this thing has straight sides like, as somebody pointed out, a funnel! No exponential ...

Still, it's the transducer we wanna know about, right?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Eric H.

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »

Any comments on the sound clips?

I thought the orchestral sounds rather nice but very strange sounding, mostly because of the position of instruments (strings left, brass right).

then i heard the first pop sample, i thought the sound was again very nice, but i have difficulty imagining a single mic getting all this.
A bit dark also?

eric harizanos

Oliver Archut

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

Nothing new about the funnels... Take a peak of the first electronic mic in the late teens of the last century.

Yeah, how about the transducer....
The handle shape looks either like a dynamic Gefell or a 979 one..
index.php/fa/6552/0/
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »

And the award for the archival photo of the year goes to.....may I have the envelope please....OLIVER ARCHUT!!!
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Barry Hufker

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 05:30:28 PM »

The main difference between the Simpson mic and the one is the photo is that the man in the white coat is extra.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 06:23:26 AM »

It's an SM57, of course! Smile
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

PP

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 06:38:20 AM »

Andy Simpson

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 06:50:38 AM »

Hi all,

I am still in Germany (as Barry mentioned) recovering from the show with a brief stop in an internet cafe.
As seems to have been observed, there are pictures on the site & some description of the concepts.

I'll write a very quick overview here now and cover the thing in detail when I get to the UK in a few days.

Acoustic Impedance Matching.

By better matching acoustic impedance between the diaphragm and the air, the first thing we get is acoustic gain - between the band at which the 'horn' is efficient.

This gain is critical but not in and of itself (we can get plenty of gain electronically).

However, diaphragm resonance is also at this impedance, so relative to the gain of a 'direct loaded' (normal) microphone, the resonance is reduced by the same factor as the gain.

Increased damping WITHOUT increased impediment of freedom of movement of diaphragm.

To achieve the same amount of damping with usual friction methods would also impede the free movement of the diaphragm by the same amount and would negate the effect.

By increasing the damping without compromising freedom of movement we get a basic time-domain improvement (within the critical band). This means dynamics, resolution, timbre.....all facets of time-domain.

As Oliver has mentioned, the idea of using a horn for recording is not new IN ITSELF.

However, in those days the acoustic horn was used FOR GAIN and as soon as gain could be achieved any other way, the horn was dropped in favour of electronic gain.

The idea of using the horn FOR DIAPHRAGM DAMPING is NEW.

Regarding my samples, these are very basic 'worst case' recordings, made with entry level gear.

Best regards from K

PP

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 08:07:06 AM »

This is a brief as I could make the posts!

jerrybosun

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 08:38:09 AM »

PP
I think I speak for all of us here, if you need a dramatic pause in your posts use...     the number of lines is useless... and a bit like a politician... nobody likes or trusts politicians in the USA... Brevity is the sign of a brilliant mind.
I tried to PM the gentleman, but he refuses PM's. I therefore edited the spaces down to a legible amount, and removed the bombastic bold face as well.

Thanks KH, Looks like he took his ball and jacks and went home. He said some interesting things... I am just a fan of shortness.  I hate scrolling threw two pages for a paragraphs worth of info.

Markus Aalto

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 08:47:17 AM »

Martin Kantola wrote on Fri, 26 October 2007 22:15

Bumping this thread because there are now pictures on the website:

http://www.simpsonmicrophones.com/

Martin

Martin is not only person anymore who builds wooden microphones..  Smile

Martin Kantola

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 11:54:46 AM »

Markus Aalto wrote on Sun, 28 October 2007 12:47

Martin is not only person anymore who builds wooden microphones..  Smile

But some of the speakers I've designed are all metal and no wood...
Smile

Maybe that makes sense in some odd way, microphones are part of the creative process, while loudspeaker should simply play back the art we've created. Or then I'm just trying to be different...

Heard some recordings with these microphones, and found them pretty interesting. A new type of sound to my ears. Can't wait to hear more details about the transducer and amplifier.

Martin

klaukholm

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

What type of wood is used and why did you choose this type of wood?

Why have you chosen to split it up into several sections?
I count six main pieces.

I find this interesting as it resembles the bell of a clarinet which is always in a single piece in professional level instruments.
The question has been raised regarding the sonic variations in wood.
Again in clarinets there is a large difference between bells of same manufacture. I have yet to hear two that sound alike.

You made the following statement:
"When used on orchestra, the Model A reaches much further than any other microphone and delivers a far more cohesive, balanced and realistic sound"

This is a bold statement indeed.
I take it then that you have used the standard orchestral microphones in your development phase and recorded the comparisom material.
Would you be willing to share some of these AB tests with us?
Kjetil Laukholm
CK Recording
Malmö Symphony Orchestra
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.