R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 47FET substitute??  (Read 34020 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: 47FET substitute??
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »

Ryan, there is something that has been commonly referred with diaphragms of 3 microns and less, known as "Stephan Paul Syndrome."  Whether or not the symptom is rightly or wrongly attributable to him, the fact that he was one of the first big proponents of thin diaphragms maybe earned him the dubious distinction.  

The symptom is to due with the thinner membranes not having sufficient resistance to keep the diaphragm from collapsing onto the backplate under high SPLs or plosives.  My understanding is that this is something that occurs over time.  I'm not familiar with the mechanics of this.  Maybe somebody here has some experience with which they can enlighten us.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

nob turner

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »

...At the risk of sending used prices somewhere we don't want them to go, the Sony C500 has found use as an outside-the-kick mic for years.  

I remember first hearing about this usage from Dan Alexander when I worked in a studio he co-owned.  In my experience, it does not have the same magic that a 47fet does in this application, but acquits itself pretty well.
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

Markus Aalto

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 19 October 2007 08:09

The Lawson 47Fet looks interesting, but this is a situation where I question the wisdom of putting it in a kick drum, because of the 3 micron diaphragm.  Somebody with long term 3 micron experience in these situations may feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Copied from L47fet description on Lawson's website:
"The L47FET's rugged design, lighter weight, and small profile make it easy to fit into tight spaces such as bass drum."

Lawson fet microphones look very interesting. Especially because they are in the same price category as AKG C414 and Neumann TLM103. It seems they are really made in USA, Nashville. Not just assembled together using chinese parts. There is also another model: L251FET.

Has anybody tried them? I wonder why so few people talk about Lawson. It's not a new factory. They have been in the business quite long time...?

J.J. Blair

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2007, 06:53:34 PM »

I demo'd the original L47.  It was very nice, but not quite a U47.  He makes his own capsules, and knows quite a bit about mics.  I don't know what the mkII sounds like.  My biggest complaint with the L47 was the major lack of low end.

BTW, part of my concern about the 3 micron in a kick drum is just the effects over time of that type of abuse.  But you can always get the capsule replaced if there's any issue, I suppose.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Markus Aalto

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »

Good to know. 3 micron is thin material and inside of bass drum is hard conditions... anyway Lawson accepts their mics for bass drum use. If i suspect the microphone doesn't last long in some application i preferably keep it off from there.

I didn't believed that L47 is exact copy of U47 but still feel interests to try for some other purposes. Because I live here in Northern Europe it is impossible to test and compare different microphones and professional equipments before buying. It's a problem. Must read and learn what experiences other people have.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

Sorry to kick this sleeping dog, but I stumbled upon a pic of the inside of a M147, which I had wanted to post earlier in this thread:

http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/inside%20m147.jpg

There you have it!  I'm actually kind of surprised that the mic sounds as good as it does, even though I'm sure many things could be improved upon.
studio info

compasspnt

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »

That photo got me looking around for further information, and I stumbled upon this from the Sweetwater site:

This cardioid mic captures the "air"

Part of the M 147's appeal comes from its extreme sensitivity - 20mV/Pa - that allows it to capture the ambience of a sound. It's spatial characteristics are so refined, you'll wonder if you hung a stereo mic by mistake!

Do other microphones NOT capture "the air?"

Is "the air" a separate and distinct thing in regard to the sound?

I am getting tired of hearing about "the air."

How does this one microphone sound "more stereo" than many others?

Do these quoted words originate with Neumann?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »

Never, in a million* years, would Neumann put out this kind of crap.

(*I may probably have to eat crow one of these years with such a statement, but still find Neumann's approach to promotion to be within the limits of credulity.)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Tomas Danko

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2007, 05:18:59 AM »

It is little known that "the air" can only be captured properly in a studio named AIR studios.

For the rest of us not recording there, Rupert Neve tried emulating this sound of "the air" by adding a button on some of the equipment. It is labeled AIR.

It was only a matter of time until it started showing up in microphones.

The closer to the source of "the air" you get, the better, obviously. And the microphone is closer than the mic preamp or equalizer.

Unless you place the mic preamp closer to the geographical point of where the AIR studio was built, of course.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

MagnetoSound

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2007, 05:40:03 AM »

Air? AIR?

You just put the mic up a bit higher, and open the window ....

Or crank the 10k a bit.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

compasspnt

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »

I guess if there's too much "air," then you need one of these...

index.php/fa/6787/0/

kats

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »

Quote:

Part of the M 147's appeal comes from its extreme sensitivity - 20mV/Pa - that allows it to capture the ambience of a sound. It's spatial characteristics are so refined, you'll wonder if you hung a stereo mic by mistake!

I find myself slighly -><- envious of someone who could say or write such complete nonsense while keeping a straight face. I'm positive there's some kind of talent in that.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.