R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 47FET substitute??  (Read 34315 times)

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
47FET substitute??
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »

What is a modern day (still in production- or recently out of production) substitute for a 47FET on the outside of a kick drum (i.e. a mic that has the 47fet kick drum sound)?
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Markus Aalto

Re: 47FET substitute??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »

TLM49 uses the same capsule but electronics are different. Transformerless... Haven't had possiblity to test it yet.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »

Soundelux ifet7 in "instrument" mode. It ain't a 47FET but it does the same job well.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »

Markus Aalto wrote on Mon, 24 September 2007 13:20

TLM49 uses the same capsule but electronics are different. Transformerless... Haven't had possiblity to test it yet.

There is no resemblance sonically between these two mics.  They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.  

It should be noted that the TLM49 is devoid of low end by design.  It starts a gradual and steady attenuation below 0dB from 1kHz downward.  Hardly the type of thing you'd want to substitute for a FET47 in the kick drum application.

I have been using a iFet7 in this situation, which has been retrofitted with a real K47 capsule.  I'm very happy with it.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »

I remember a time when TLM170s seemed to be popular as kick drum mics.  I never did this.  Can anybody share their experience with this method?

BTW, I was looking at the spec sheets on the Bock 195.  I see that David doesn't make the iFet7 anymore, but the response graph of this mic looks promising for a kick drum.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

schneidm

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Martin Schneider
47FET substitute??
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »

Hello,

amazing find, that with the TLM49's gentle roll-off starting at 1kHz, going down to a whopping -3...-4 dB @ 40Hz.

Interestingly, this capsule has always behaved like that, which you can see even in the ~1938 documentation of the M7 capsule.

So, the roll-off's not really new... and the good ol' U47fet behaves just the same, because it has the same good ol' capsule.

And additionally, the U47fet has an *electrical* roll-off of 2dB@40Hz. Which the TLM49 has *not*, as the circuit stays linear well below 20Hz.

--------------------

By the way, our specs are for the *plane* wave field. Measured at 1m distance you find 0dB@40Hz. At 10cm you might have +10dB or more, depending on the sound source. It's called "proximity effect", in the textbooks...

Sorry for the sarcasm, folks. It just had to be.

More info on the Neumann forum.

Best regards,
Martin Schneider, Neumann Mic. Development

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:59:41 PM »

Quote:

It should be noted that the TLM49 is devoid of low end by design. It starts a gradual and steady attenuation below 0dB from 1kHz downward. Hardly the type of thing you'd want to substitute for a FET47 in the kick drum application.

In light of Martin's response: How about it, J.J.?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

mgod

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 25 September 2007 15:19

BTW, I was looking at the spec sheets on the Bock 195.  I see that David doesn't make the iFet7 anymore, but the response graph of this mic looks promising for a kick drum.

That was the idea. For bass amp too.

Klaus Heyne wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 11:59

Quote:

It should be noted that the TLM49 is devoid of low end by design. It starts a gradual and steady attenuation below 0dB from 1kHz downward. Hardly the type of thing you'd want to substitute for a FET47 in the kick drum application.

In light of Martin's response: How about it, J.J.?

Sounds like I want to try one on a bass amp.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Fifthcircle

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:28:06 AM »

Of all things out there, I have found that the SE Electronics Z3300a gives me a result that is very similar to a U47 Fet.  it isn't as smooth on the topend , but the overall sound is very similar.

Best part is that it costs 1/10 as much.  I bought mine used (in new condition) on ebay for all of $300 or so.  

I also use it for acoustic bass almost exclusively- another task that I used to reserve for the 47FET.  Unfortunately, the 47 Fet that I used to borrow was stolen a few years back and I've been looking for a replacement ever since.  The SE mic has filled in quite well- especially for kick drum and bass.  And at that price point, I don't mind having a mic that has limited use as long as what it does well, it does really well.

--Ben
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:55 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 11:59

Quote:

Klaus Heyne: In light of Martin's response: How about it, J.J.?

Well, perhaps that is the natural response of the K47, but neither my M49, U47 or any Fet47 I've ever used has been as devoid of low end as the TLM49 I used was.  (BTW, it was the one provided to me by Neumann!)  

Martin, I know you were involved in the design, but even the Neumann literature states that this is designed specifically as a vocal mic, hence the reponse.

But more to the point, the reason I brought up the frequency response, was because in my experience, the low end of the Fet47 is far superior to the TLM49.  I honestly could not imagine using a TLM49 in front of the kick.  Why use a mic with no bass on a "bass drum"?  I have never thrown up a Fet47 and wondered where the low end was.  Can we see the response graph of a Fet47 and a TLM47 to compare please?  I can't believe that my ears are lying to me.

And as far as 40hz deficit on the Fet47 goes, I'm much more concerned with 100-200hz with bass drum than 40hz.  40hz doesn't punch me in the chest.  If the U47 or Fet47 were down 4db at 100hz, I really doubt people would have been using them in bass-heavy applications all these years.

Also, I have to ask the question: When Neumann builds a new mic, do they even bother A/B'ing it against their old ones?  I mean, if you are using a model number and a body design that invokes the company's great history, as well as marketing it as a return to it, wouldn't you want to listen to this mic against its ancestor side by side?  Didn't somebody say, "hey, this capsule may have roll-off, but this mic has much less bottom end than the old one"?  Didn't that occur to anybody?

I mean, I hate to sound disrespectful, but I have to wonder if the people building these mics are actually using them.  Imagine a luthier who never played his guitars!

But this goes back to my central problem with Neumann these days:
What recording engineers are being consulted when these new mics are made?  

I know a lot of the big name engineers, and I know they have had input into various microphones over the last fifteen years, but Neumann is not one of the brands they've ever mentioned.  

In Neumann's heyday, they were trying to answer the needs of the engineers at German broadcasting.  I have a hard time believing that when the TLM193 was developed, Neumann was answering to anybody other than its own marketing and accounting departments.  Why is it that whenever I visit a big session in a studio, I never see a TLM103, 193, or 127?  I only know one big engineer who uses the M149, and he only uses it on piano, and nothing else.  

You know, we engineers who actually make a living with these tools ... those of us making records, we're still buying the old stuff and not embracing the new stuff.  We say to Neumann, "This new stuff you are making- it's not what we want!  
Look at companies like Brauner, Gefell and Bock.  They are using discrete components and transformers.  We like those sounds."  

But, no.  We end users are the ones who are wrong, apparently?  Those of us saying, "I can't get the sounds that make me as happy as the old mics did," must be crazy?  

So, by all means, please tell the Sennheiser folks that they are doing a bang up job selling thousands of mics to neophyte engineers at Guitar Center.  Guys who love their new Neumanns for their hobby recordings.  I'm glad they are more important than the professional engineers who used Neumanns for 50+ years, those engineers who say, "I don't like these new mics as much as the old ones."  

Continue visiting our discussions to tell us that the TLM49 is somehow an improvement over its predecessors!
studio info

rphilbeck

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 12 October 2007 22:00

Look at companies like Brauner, Gefell and Bock.  They are using discrete components and transformers.

Gefell has transformerless microphones too, so Neumann is not the only company that sees value in this design.  Coincidentally, the U87 has a transformer, and can be modified 6 ways from Sunday, and is only the most ubiquitous microphone on the face of the earth.  If you can't do something with this microphone, then God help you.  But, if you really can't, you just mentioned three fine alternatives.

Quote:

So, by all means, please tell the Sennheiser folks that they are doing a bang up job selling thousands of mics to neophyte engineers at Guitar Center.  Guys who love their new Neumanns for their hobby recordings.

I think it's impressive that Neumann accommodates studios of all budgets.  

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »

I don't want to get into the middle of this hot issue.  I do want to make a side note -- the audio industry has relatively few professionals in it.  The hobbyists and wannabes are the vastly larger part of the market.  There is (next to) no audio supplier who could stay in business if they sold only to professionals.

I don't use that to justify or counter anything being said here.  I think it's an important aspect to consider when one talks microphone design.

Again, I am not taking sides.

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »

Does the analogy of Honda's NSX, VW's Audi R8 or Gibson's Custom-Shop '59 Les Paul guitar apply at all?
Flagship models, sold at little or no profit, but offered strictly for long-term brand development?

Neumann at this point seems to put its major development efforts in the digital mic revolution its sees on the horizon (their idea of an NSX), rather than picking up on its flagship models of the past.
However, the company does not seem shy to also try to participate in the vintage vocal mic craze with its marketing of the new TLM49.

But it may be misplaced anger and frustration to fault them for this, or to even assume this model is meant by Neumann as a serious successor to the M49, when it is in reality just a low-cost vocal mic for the project studio and broadcast market, smack in the market segment that is meant to reach those who really cannot even afford a used U87. But a winner, probably: relatively cheap to make yet high enough in profit margin to bring in the dough.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

kats

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

I have to concur on the ifet7. It's a fine mic for kick drum, bass etc. I've also used it on gtr amps with good success.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Barry Hufker

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »

Then I wonder why it's no longer in production...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.