R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pearlman TM LE  (Read 42984 times)

maarvold

Re: Pearlman TM LE
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »

Dave Pearlman just emailed me the following:

Mike...    
I can't get on the PSW site and I wonder if you would post this for me. Thanks, Dave.
Quote:

The TM-1 was originally based on the U47 schematic and originally used only the EF14. I experimented with other pentodes that had the same properties as the VF and EF14 such as the 6AC7, 5693 and 5879 so there are some mics out there (TM-1) that have those tubes and they sound great. I am now also using the EF12, EF13 and EF15. The mics come stock with selected Peluso capsules that are made to emulate the K67 and K47.  I have made a few Limited Edition TM-1 mics that have real Neumann K47 (or K49) or K67 capsules.
   The TM-2 was made to be a more affordable version of the TM-1 and used a smaller (Peluso 32mm) capsule, a 6AK5 pentode and a similar circuit. It is shaped more like a U67.
   The TM-LE is a similar mic to the TM-2 (in shape and circuit with a few diffs) with a Neumann K67 capsule. Mike Aarovld has a prototype of this mic.  This mic is being sold right now through www.petesplaceaudio.com  
   The Pearlman Church type mic is made from original schematics from Stanley Church with a 6072, Neumann K47 and an original tranny from Triad that they are making just for me after 50 years of it not being available.
   If you have any questions please contact me directly at rtndrascal@aol.com or www.pearlmanmicrophones.com  I am having a blast doing this and making mics available to people at a low price.  I wish stuff like this was around when I started in the 70s.   Thanks!     Dave Pearlman

(Please note: the above message was emailed to me by Dave Pearlman).  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:26 PM »

Now that Church sounds really interesting!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 09:42:51 PM »

And *probably* better than the original Church.

Although this is mere speculation on my part.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »

Terry, have you used the Church?  My only experience with it was Jon Brion and Jason Falkner saying it was the best thing since sliced bread.  Mind you, this was while making a record that our  mullet haired mutual friend (whom they also raved about) was producing and engineering.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:55 PM »

Telefunken-USA has had a Church mic copy available for years.  Ain't promotin' -- just sayin'

Barry

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »

A situation such as that, where one person may be over-praising a particular rare, and thence relatively unknown-to-the-general-public item, could indeed lead others into imitant third hand praise.

But no, I have personally never used a Church microphone.  I read on this Forum a while back the following:

Klaus Heyne wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 22:18

The Church mics I heard sounded emotionally unengaging- just the opposite of the U47's "larger than life" impact on a listener. But then, just what you would expect from messing with a processor originally tailor-made for the M7 capsule?

As I see it, the model is a bastardization of a genius product, one of those inventions, like the Stratocaster and the Maglite, which are hard to improve upon in their perfection.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 24 September 2007 20:02

Telefunken-USA has had a Church mic copy available for years.  Ain't promotin' -- just sayin'

Which I guarantee will cost at least three times as much, if not more.

What intrigues me about Dave's version will be the transformer from the original source.  
studio info

Steve Hudson

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:58 PM »

I have the prototype of Dave's Church mic and while it doesn't sound like a U47, it has its merits and applications. A very nice mic for the money. There's more detail to the mids than on the TM-1 to my ears and the same authority on the low end.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

TMmics

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »

They finally let me in!  If anyone has any questions please contact me anytime.  Thanks to Mike Aarvold and Steve Perkins for forwarding my emails etc.  818 989 4549
  Dave Pearlman

Steve Hudson

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »

Welcome aboard, Dave! I'm looking forward to your contributions here. We're still getting feedback on the Church; thanks again for sending it back to Austin.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Len

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »

maarvold wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 05:16

...my TM-2 had the "reediness" I believe Klaus referred to; the TM-1 doesn't have that quality.  I would refer to the "reediness" as a big, baritone quality.  I'm guessing that Klaus's characterization as "reediness' refers to the fullness and richness that a bass clarinet can produce in the middle and low registers.  

4. The "reediness" is apparent on the mic that doesn't have a KK47/EF-14: the TM-2.  The TM-2's head basket is also much closer to a U67 head basket than a U47.

I appreciate both the TM-1 and TM-2/LE are probably great mics, but are you saying that you prefer the TM-2 because it has that "reedy" quality? I have a low tenor/high bariton type of voice and wonder if this might be the mic for me.  Pity I live in England and would not be able to actually test the mic!

Len

TMmics

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »

Len...   Contact me if you have any questions.   Dave

brett

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 04:39:31 AM »

TMmics wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 21:42

Len... Contact me if you have any questions.   Dave

Dave you are awesome. I have a feeling I will own one of your mics soon.

TMmics

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »

Thank you!    

Silvertone

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 11:05:44 AM »

Hi Dave,

Did you model/voice this Church mic from one of Don Kings? He has 3 of them if I remember correctly.

Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.