R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZVex Fuzz Factory  (Read 5875 times)

RSettee

ZVex Fuzz Factory
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »

Anyone use one of these? I had a buddy that had one, and I wanted one ever since then. IMHO, the holy grail of fuzz pedals--and great for the studio---because my complaint is that sometimes they're too mushy or too sharp, all of which you can vary with this, and it pretty much renders all my other fuzz pedals pointless (though still cool to hang onto). It's capable of all this weird freakout noise, too--perfect for psychedelia, etc. Apologies if this sounds like when I first discovered the magic of swear words or something, but it's almost as good. Almost. Very Happy

Daniel Farris

Re: ZVex Fuzz Factory
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »

A very cool pedal, indeed. I don't own one, but I have recorded many and had ample opportunity to play. Exactly how cool it is depends wholly on the operator.

I've heard talented knob twirlers get AMAZING sounds out of one, and I've heard idiots make them sound like shit. The mark of a truly great pedal, maybe?

You do know that PSW fixture "zmix" is its inventor, right?

Great pedal, Chuck. Actually, all your pedals are pretty great. I love the Super Hard-On.

As for fuzz, lately I've been enjoying the Ampeg Scrambler. Truly fucked up and broken sounding.

DF

Podgorny

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:39:34 PM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 20:16

You do know that PSW fixture "zmix" is its inventor, right?

Are you certain of this?
I thought he designed a couple of their pedals (such as the Woolly Mammoth), but not all.
I could be wrong.
Perhaps Chuck would like to clear this up.

Whatever the case, the Fuzz factory rules.
Reminds me of Delirious? and Muse.

The Fuzz Probe is very cool too.  Worth checking out.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

zmix

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:49:14 PM »

Thanks, Embarassed  but I only officially designed the Woolly Mammoth.
I have provided much design advice over the years to zvex, and even supplied the filter design used in the seek wah.  
In high school I did build a fuzz that had a control for every circuit parameter, and I am certain that my discussions with zvex on that lead to the design of the fuzz factory.

I would like to add that the Mammoth is also an amazing guitar fuzz.  

When used on bass it has some pretty special qualities, namely that the harmonic signature of the pedal is such that the bass (or guitar) will not sound "out of tune" the way it will when using a generic fuzz.

I always get a kick out of hearing these pedals on records that I mix...!  It's like seeing your children do well in the real world....

Daniel Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:50:18 PM »

Sorry, Chuck. My mistake.

DF

ratite

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51:30 PM »

I have both the Probe and the Factory,a Mammoth and a Machine as well.The fuzzes are amazingly flexible pedals and that indeed is their weak point.For a great single sound fuzz,irrespective of pickups try the D*A*M tonebender clone,that thing is the shit,unless your looking for super-crazy fuzz.
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

zmix

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 22:39

Whatever the case, the Fuzz factory rules.
Reminds me of Delirious? and Muse.

The Fuzz Probe is very cool too.  Worth checking out.

Funny you should mention that. I actually used the prototype "Fuzz Probe" on those "Delirious?" records...

Mostly though we used my Mammoth and the original Octane.

Podgorny

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »

Man, the Fuzz Probe solo on My Glorious was so killer back in the day.
I mean, it's cool now, but back then, I remember thinking "HOW DID THEY DO THAT?"

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

zmix

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 22:59

Man, the Fuzz Probe solo on My Glorious was so killer back in the day.
I mean, it's cool now, but back then, I remember thinking "HOW DID THEY DO THAT?"

Thanks!

My personal favorite Fuzz Probe solo on that record was on the song: "Hang On To You".

Not only was there a lot of Fuzz Probe 'mayhem' while tracking it,   during mixdown at Jacobs Studios in Surrey I used the awesome and odd AMS "Tape Phase Simulator" on it... !!!

-CZ

RSettee

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:34:47 PM »

ZMix was involved? Cool....had no idea! It depends on where you have things set on the pedal--it can sound like a cheap fuzz, or really good. The "comp" compressor knob is the key, I think--plus if you have the gate and "stab" set wrong, it can sound like the weirdest thing alive (good if you're going for that, bad if you can't dial in a good sound). Like anything with more options, you get some great ones, but the learning curve can stump people.

phantom309

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:43:42 PM »

Love 'em. We have 6 of the Zvex pedals in here: Octane, FuzzFactory, Wooly Mammoth, Seektrem, Seekwah and LoFi Loop Junky. I first bought one in New York just because of the whacked paint job (LOVE them), but it turned out to be a great pedal. If you haven't seen it yet, you've got to check out the online demo: http://www.zvex.com/videos.html

I got lots of great ideas from this vid.

My current fave patch for studio processing is a seekwah and Wooly Mammoth in a loop with a Chapman "Patch Of Shades" pedal. Great fun.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Brian Kehew

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

>> with a Chapman "Patch Of Shades" pedal. <<

Very common, everyone should buy one.
Relax and float downstream...

Podgorny

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »

zmix wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 22:17

My personal favorite Fuzz Probe solo on that record was on the song: "Hang On To You".

My bad.  That's the track I was thinking of.
I just pulled the CD out to listen to that track.
I love the filtering at about 3:04.  That's the sound I spent many hours trying to figure out.

jfrigo

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 01:01:54 AM »

zvex is great. I have a "box of rock" that I love. It has a "super hard on" type boost, and a second switch for distortion. I never thought I'd use pedal distortion, but this one actually still sounds like the amp when you add a little extra crunch. So many I tried just sounded so fake, even though it was still going through an amp. It just killed the natural sound of the amp.

This thing just sings in front of my Plexi 50 watt. I love the Plexi all alone of course, but the B.O.R. actually still sounds like a Marshall (but with fewer windows needing to be blown out) when you put it in front. Turns out he designed it with the JTM in mind, and voiced it with a JTM, so when I found that out, it made sense that it would match up well with the plexi.

Fibes

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 11:26:49 AM »

Yeah, i dig the hell out of the FF and the SHO and the SW and...

Just did some direct fuzz factory tracks that absolutely sound sick.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

RSettee

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:49 AM »

Box of Rock is good? Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, no ZVex products are carried around here, so everything (unless you have a friend, in my case, that had the Fuzz Factory) is sight unheard. I should apply for some sort of endorsement at ZVex--I dunno if they do that sort of thing (if they're "that type", heh), but i've been recommending the Fuzz Factory to anyone that will hear, and it's going on anything I record as pretty much the signature sound that i'm gonna use.

Joe Black

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »

zmix wrote on Tue, 28 August 2007 22:49

and even supplied the filter design used in the seek wah.

I WUV my Seek Wah. The combination of a the seek wah into a tape delay is the Edge of Folk Mayhem. Thank you for your contribution to my identity.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »

Every pedal I own of Z's is amazing
seek wah
wooley
fuzz Factory
Octane
wah probe

all great and fun to use

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

dconstruction

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »

I love my Fuzz Factory - especially on my Rhodes:

http://www.juniusrecordingco.com/MP3/1-04_Luzern.mp3
(choruses)

http://www.juniusrecordingco.com/MP31-15_Our_Love.mp3
(outro, beginning @ 2:56)

L

ricknroll

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »

Lately I've been having fun running my Fuzz Factory into my Bassballs pedal...

Rick

Nizzle

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

I love my Fuzz Factory and I Really Really love my Box of Rock...That thing does magical stuff.

-t
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.