R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from a new member  (Read 4826 times)

RSettee

Re: Greetings from a new member
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »

Welcome Billy! I think you'll like it here. It's one of the very rare places where there's a good sense of humour where people can ham it up a bit, and one of the few that has the true people that know what they're talking about, where they'd not condescending about it--because there's two extremes: the one where everyone's a rookie where they don't have much experience to pass on, and then the other extreme of places just filled with people who guard information and kinda look down on others--which there is none here of. I've learned alot from what others have had to say here.

Fibes

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »

Welcome from a Savannah boy.

Do you miss the H&H or Honey Bears?

Late nights at the Yellow Rose?

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Billy Yates

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 21 August 2007 12:38

Welcome from a Savannah boy.

Do you miss the H&H or Honey Bears?

Late nights at the Yellow Rose?

Hell yessssss!
Mama Louise and the H&H, best greens ever! I never did the rose.
You see, Larry who ran the joint used to be the manager for Nashville South, which I played numerous times. Rumor had it that he had a hand in the arson that burned it down. I got my start with Mike "Goose" Goodrich in the Macon Country Band. He actually got me into recording first before Tad Bush. He was the engineer for Starday King Studios in Macon way back in the day. He recorded James Brown and whole slew of folks in that funky old studio. They had a live chamber in the basement that sounded great. It was located on the Jeffersonville Hwy just outside of Macon. The last time I saw that building, it was just a shell. What a shame.
Goose told me this story which cracked me up...
James Brown was in the studio with the band warming up while Goose was patching things up. When the band started into a number, James stopped the band and yelled at Goose..."Hey, White boy, gimmie some scratch!" Goose was flummoxed. What the hell does scratch mean? he asked. James responded..."REVERB MAN, REVERB!" Later after the sessions, James told Goose "You done good boy, made me proud" He tipped him 5 bucks.
If you knew James, you can imagine how hilarious this was.
Goose also introduced me to Dave Harrison. What a gentleman he was. At the time I didn't realize the impact that Dave had on the design of modern recording consoles. Of course that brings up Jeep Harned & Dan Flickinger but thats another story for another day. BTW, I was in the house band at Whiskey River too.
Its nice to hear from some Southerners here.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.