R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: U87 Anniversary Edition  (Read 27512 times)

Gone

Re: U87 Anniversary Edition
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 14:41

If you're getting pops and spit, back off the mic or try different positions.

We learned microphone technique and breath control, such as how to pull "p's" and how to control 's' and 'th' sounds.
Someone with training can use a mic up close without plosives and spit.

I agree that vocalists should be trained to control plosives and spit (and sibilance). But then, I believe drummers should be trained to set up their kit in a way that allows room for microphones - and a lot of them don't do that either...

The reality of the situation is that even some well-trained vocalists have not been trained in that respect, and few of the untrained have given it a thought. Also - mic position is often a product of the recording set-up overall; you may have other instruments in the room, and the vocal mic may need to be closer to the vocalist for that reason. (Which is also because no musicians are trained to control their dynamics and volume these days).

I mean, you can hang the mic above the singer's mouth, so both sibilance and pops go "under" the capsule, but more than half of them will eventually tilt their head up towards the mic...

I was just listening to Bill Haley's record, and there are breath pops all over it. A bunch of them on Sinatra records as well.

kats

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

Quote:

I mean, you can hang the mic above the singer's mouth, so both sibilance and pops go "under" the capsule, but more than half of them will eventually tilt their head up towards the mic...

I really don't have bad luck in this regard. I usually have the mic angled perhaps 30-40 degrees and slightly above the singer's mouth, so that the mouth and the mic's diaphragm are not perpendicular as a starting point. That is usually just fine.

The only time I use screens is if I'm trying to save the mic from a "sloppy" singer.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Markus Aalto

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »

Anybody tried these? Does it fit to U87?

index.php/fa/14958/0/

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/accessories/accessories.html

I've found information elsewhere, it fits mics with
a diameter of 47mm or 1 7/8".

Anyway, it's not original one.

piedpiper

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

I always try to do without a pop screen but I've always thought that using a single layer hemispherical sieve would function much better than the usual flat planed pop screen as it would encourage plosives to go around it rather than wanting to push against and through the flat plane, and would present no standing waves, similar to putting the usual type at an angle. My experiments have been encouraging. Anyone thought along these lines?
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.