R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: U87 Anniversary Edition  (Read 27422 times)

John Stafford

U87 Anniversary Edition
« on: August 13, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

Anyone have any idea about this mic? According to the Neumann website 'it is an exclusive version with unique product features'.

Many thanks
John Stafford

Barry Hufker

Re: U87 Anniversary Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »

We've had the "ruby" jeweled M49 and the "pearl" M50.  I'm not sure that would look good on a U-87 but maybe...

Guitar-mart marketing -- I don't necessarily disagree.  Everyone is looking to generate some news and stand out from the crowd.

Don't forget the piano-black Monolith TLM 103 for the U.S. market only (to try to stem grey-market purchases).

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »

And now we have the actual information:
Functional aspects identical to regular U87Ai, limited availability (not by numbers, but by time: 1 year from introduction, AES 2007)
Upcharge, retail: ca. $650.- vs. stock

index.php/fa/6157/0/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

And here are the features and details:

(received from Dan Radin, Neumann/USA):
Quote:

September 5, 2007
Dear Neumann Dealer:
It is not only a number, it?s a legend!  The U 87, the world?s most commonly used large diaphragm microphone celebrates its 40th anniversary! In honor of this milestone, we are proud to announce the launch of the U 87 Anniversary Set.  

The set is a collectors item and a must-have for all true Neumann fans!  The Anniversary Set features the legendary U 87 microphone in a special polished nickel finish and is accompanied by the unique and exclusively designed PS 87 popscreen and EA 87 elastic suspension.

The set comes in an elegant vintage-style case with fine embroidery and leather details. Each U 87 Anniversary Set is delivered with a signed, framed certificate of authenticity including the individual microphone serial number. The set even includes a dust cover with the 40th Anniversary logo and a pair of white gloves.

The set will only be available for the next 12 months so order now to secure your inventory of U 87 Anniversary editions. Please use the attached order form.  

Model: U 87 Anniversary Set      
Finish: Polished nickel
Shipping Weight: 11.02 lbs.
Shipping dimensions: 8.5? x 18.7? 14.0?
Pricing:
Retail: $4,999.00
Model Comparison U 87 Set Z U 87 Anniversary Set
U 87 Ai Microphone classic nickel or matte black polished nickel
EA 87 Shockmount classic nickel or matte black polished nickel
PS 87 Popscreen ? polished nickel
Case Woodbox U 87  fits mic only Vintage style, leather detail, fits entire set
Dust cover ? Embroidered cloth
Production: Unlimited 12 months

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

yoink

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:01:06 AM »

Why Mic companies don't sell their "Anniversary" editions (for that one year) at the same price as the "original" they're celebrating boggles my mind.

If people didn't get suckered into such things and didn't buy them, the companies  would either stop making them, or price them the same as regular editions

Petros Kolyvas
Wanna-be Engineer
Full time Composer and Video Editor
"The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »

The extra popscreen looks to me very suspect. It may work as an acoustical antenna conducting resonances into the housing of the microphone.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »

Dan Radin/Neumann/USA wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 00:52

The set is a collectors item and a must-have for all true Neumann fans!  

And maybe as such it should be treated - no need to get it if you merely want a workhorse mic.

I personally find the whole package very appealing cosmetically, and think the upcharge is very reasonable for what you get. Alone the polished metal parts are much more labour intensive to produce (at least with the surface quality that Neumann usually delivers) than a part that's only machined and sandblasted afterwards.
It's lovely that white gloves are included. Can this set be ordered in various (glove) sizes?  Razz

The "40 years" logo is a bit funny. It initially looked somewhat japanese to me before I figured out that it's meant to resemble the head basket of the U87...
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Oliver Archut

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »

For that price they should include a stainless steel BBQ set, that is the only real must have for any true fan, regardless the Brand Name.
All the "real" Neumann fans I know saved up their money and bought themselves a "real" Neumann mic.... 4x,5x,6x...
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 04:18

The extra popscreen looks to me very suspect. It may work as an acoustical antenna conducting resonances into the housing of the microphone.

Neumann staff explained it as a tribute to the Beatles days, when a similar looking (probably EMI-made) popper stopper adorned the U48s (and C12s!) at Abbey Road Studios.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Barry Hufker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »

That's exactly it.  The windscreen is classic EMI/Bealtes.

White gloves -- the O.J. audiophile.  "If the white gloves fit, you must commit!"

Barry

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:27:47 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote:"Neumann staff explained it as a tribute to the Beatles days, when a similar looking (probably EMI-made) popper stopper adorned the U48s (and C12s!) at Abbey Road Studios."

Modern pop stoppers not mounted to the microphone itself do a way better job, than this one made from metal if you would ask me.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Gone

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »

If anyone has been watching "Live From Abbey Road" on the Sundance Channel - these pop screens appear to be in constant use to this day at Abbey Road. They are on every U47/8 being used for vocals (Dave Matthews, among others). Though one can't perform any type of A-B comparison when listening to these live-in-studio recordings, they sound very good to me.

I personally find the gooseneck windscreens to often be problematic - the gooseneck construction of most models is pretty weak (and I've tried just about every pop screen on the market). They 'wander' after being placed, especially during long sessions. Some of them only will attach to certain parts of a mic stand, due to width of certain parts. I have thrown a few of them out the back door of the studio during a session, when they weren't cooperating.

I think a small pop filter without the excess contraptions would come in handy for musicians who need to read music or lyrics while playing - less clutter.

FWIW - I contacted Dan Radin at Neumann, and they are not currently offering the PS87 pop filter alone (outside of this package, that is). Apparently I'm the only one who would care Smile

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:15:01 AM »

I admit I would be interested in owning a few.

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »

Of course, I immediately asked the Neunmann rep about that, when I saw the screen: can one buy "just" the screen?

He said, offering this accessory independently right now, would cut into the complete package's uniqueness, before it had a chance on the market. Cherry-picking it would defy the purpose of the exercise.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Barry Hufker

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

I imagine Neumann didn't make the screens (just as they didn't make the shockmount).  I know BLUE and RED microphone companies sell that kind of screen.  The question "who makes it for them".

Barry

rphilbeck

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 08:03:08 PM »

I've been trying to find a screen that attaches to the mic like this for a long time, and all my searches have turned up zilch. I hope you're right!  

Barry Hufker

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »

I had searched before for that kind of screen and like RPhilbeck never had any luck.  Then tonight, bingo!  I couldn't believe how easy it was to find.

I found it here: http://member.rivernet.com.au/gwagner/U47Parts/U47popscreen. htm

And I've written to Mr. Wagner to see about price and availability.
I'll let you know what he says.  In the meantime, here's a pic I copp'd from his site:

index.php/fa/6170/0/

rphilbeck

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 14:45

Of course, I immediately asked the Neunmann rep about that, when I saw the screen: can one buy "just" the screen?

He said, offering this accessory independently right now, would cut into the complete package's uniqueness, before it had a chance on the market. Cherry-picking it would defy the purpose of the exercise.

"uniqueness"?  Neumann's standard of unique nowadays is to polish a few parts on a u87, stick it in a briefcase, and add a custom pop filter?

rphilbeck

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »

Barry,  I'll save you some trouble.  That spit screen only fits on the U47/48 bodies.  It is designed for that body style.  It would not work with the U67/87 with their tapered bodies.  That is what I was told by Wagner.

Robert

Barry Hufker

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »

I have a U47 so that solves one problem.

As I look at the U87 screen I wonder that the same screen wouldn't work.  I know Mr. Wagner said no, but in both pictures, the screens are just under the basket, so I'm thinking a little modification and things might be OK.

But taking your point, I'll keep up the search.

Barry

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »

Incidentally I found an identical looking one offered by Violet:

http://www.violetusa.com/accessories.php
index.php/fa/6177/0/
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »

I have a very similar screen with my Blue Blueberry mic as well. The Kiwi, and Cactus have a similar screen. Very good design

Barry Hufker

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »

I've come to learn at least some of these screens are made in Germany, and for several mic. companies.

Klaus?

maxdimario

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »

wagner sold me a custom 47 shock mount, and it turned out to be a blue shockmount.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »

The Blue shockmounts are now made in China, too.  They were originally made in Latvia, but when problems started between Scruples/JZ/Violet and Blue, all the accessories (but not the mics, other than the Balls) went to China to be made.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 02:02:55 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 15 September 2007 07:58

I've come to learn at least some of these screens are made in Germany, and for several mic. companies.
Klaus?

I know nothing. You seem to know  something? Please share, what you have "come to learn"!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Barry Hufker

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »

I've come to learn the screens are made in Germany!  That's the sum total of my knowledge on this subject.

I thought maybe with all the people you know in Germany something might strike a chord with you where you say "aha, I can figure then who this is".  But I guess it didn't have that effect.

When I know more I'll spill my guts (although not literally).

Barry

Bryson

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Sat, 15 September 2007 08:38

wagner sold me a custom 47 shock mount, and it turned out to be a blue shockmount.

Did it have BLUE silkscreened on it? Drag if so.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 16 September 2007 11:38

I've come to learn the screens are made in Germany!  That's the sum total of my knowledge on this subject.

Yes, please spill you beans, guts, and any other non-attached organs:
Made in Germany mcirophone-related hardware would be nice, especially these days, where the only "mainland" competition comes from the Czech Republic!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 05:49:20 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 08:50

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 04:18

Neumann staff explained it as a tribute to the Beatles days, when a similar looking (probably EMI-made) popper stopper adorned the U48s (and C12s!) at Abbey Road Studios.

I've been told that their engineer made 12 of them.

Also a nice video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCWS8GCa-M

Here at the end of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BagUvGGO0DM

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »

Possibly, Neumann should have just issued an anniversary "pop screen" in a variety of finishes.
Judging from the response here, the "Beatles" era pop screen is getting more interest than buying the full set.
Most professionals already have U87's.
I'm sure the return on product investment could have been nearly the same (percentage wise) and you'd sell a heck of a lot more pop screens than Neumann U87 sets.
Heck, I'd buy one just for the nostalgia.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

compasspnt

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:57 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 20:43

Yes, I would buy it for the nostalgia, but not to use.

maxdimario

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 07:51:46 AM »

regarding the screen, you can see that the originals had two screens, one behind the other... on the video... seemingly..

rphilbeck

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 23:19

Mike Cleaver wrote on Mon, 17 September 2007 20:43

Yes, I would buy it for the nostalgia, but not to use.

Why?

compasspnt

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »

The potential of comb filter-induced sibilance.

There have been several threads about it, but this was one:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/11071/0/0/ 6490/

Barry Hufker

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 10:40:56 PM »

Terry,

Given the comb-filtering effect, can you identify for us a vocal where we can hear this?

I know there are plenty of "P" pops on Beatles songs with John singing, so that be one hell of a plosive to get through the metal screen.

Barry

rphilbeck

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:22 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 18 September 2007 21:49

The potential of comb filter-induced sibilance.

There have been several threads about it, but this was one:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/11071/0/0/ 6490/

Thank You!

compasspnt

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:01 AM »

I only really know directly about vocals I have recorded, and I shouldn't point to any of those for examples publicly.  Any of those released have been "repaired" with correct measures anyway.

I suspect that many instances of "odd" sibilance in many recordings may have been caused at least in part by this phenomenon.  But again, many of those were dealt with to some degree using de-essers.

I have also seen plenty of photos of Beatles singing without the metal screens, so some P-Pops may have come from that situation.

Also, most pop screens/filters I have ever tried didn't really stop the pops, just reduce them somewhat.

I can say that the "troubles" I was having with comb filtration induced sibilance have gone away, now that I am back to using foam socks.

It saves a lot of time, too.

rphilbeck

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 01:13

now that I am back to using foam socks.

Any particular brand or source?  The Neumann socks are about $40 a pop!(pun intended)

Barry Hufker

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »

Thanks Terry!

Barry

compasspnt

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »

RPhilbeck wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 10:44

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 01:13

...now that I am back to using foam socks.

Any particular brand or source?  The Neumann socks are about $40 a pop!(

I bought a few of the R

compasspnt

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »

Here is what Klaus wrote in a previous thread regarding this issue:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/10098/0/0/ 6490/

As I said: Every pop screen has artifacts as side effects.

First, there is the mesh size and pattern, which will filter the frequency band in odd, largely unpredictable ways. The Stedman is not exempt from physics in this regard.

Then there is the issue of standing waves that affect all dual screen filters, unless they have tiltable planes.

In a funny way, the old stinkin' foam sock is at least free from most of this stuff, even if its high frequency attenuation can be quite extreme...

I can think of standing waves on three differet fronts:

1. between the plane of the diaphragm and the screen (especially metal, especially close-in) when parallel.

2. between two parallel layers of mesh material

3. between parallel surfaces of the screen frame, where applicable. (One of the reasons you sometimes see popper stopper frames with lots of irregular holes in them)

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »

As an old-timer, I still don't know why we need to use "popper-stoppers" and foam windscreens (except outdoors when there's wind.)
My U87 lives with a Neumann Foam Windscreen on it WHEN NOT IN USE.
When I'm using it, the windscreen comes off and there's no "popper-stopper."
If you're getting pops and spit, back off the mic or try different positions.
These things ("popper-stoppers" and windscreens) were never used back in the day when most great recordings were made.
We learned microphone technique and breath control, such as how to pull "p's" and how to control 's' and 'th' sounds.
Someone with training can use a mic up close without plosives and spit.
And you can wash your foam windscreens with mild dishwashing liquid and water.
It's also a good test to see if they've begun "shedding."
Just make sure they're bone dry before slipping them back on the mic.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 12:41

My U87 lives with a Neumann Foam Windscreen on it WHEN NOT IN USE.

Have you ever had a chance to read this: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/415/318/

???
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »

I should have mentioned that I do replace the windscreen frequently.
When the mic is in its box, it's in a plastic baggy with a silica gel baggie.
Using a plastic bag when the mic is mounted is problematical because of the shock mount.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Gone

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Wed, 19 September 2007 14:41

If you're getting pops and spit, back off the mic or try different positions.

We learned microphone technique and breath control, such as how to pull "p's" and how to control 's' and 'th' sounds.
Someone with training can use a mic up close without plosives and spit.

I agree that vocalists should be trained to control plosives and spit (and sibilance). But then, I believe drummers should be trained to set up their kit in a way that allows room for microphones - and a lot of them don't do that either...

The reality of the situation is that even some well-trained vocalists have not been trained in that respect, and few of the untrained have given it a thought. Also - mic position is often a product of the recording set-up overall; you may have other instruments in the room, and the vocal mic may need to be closer to the vocalist for that reason. (Which is also because no musicians are trained to control their dynamics and volume these days).

I mean, you can hang the mic above the singer's mouth, so both sibilance and pops go "under" the capsule, but more than half of them will eventually tilt their head up towards the mic...

I was just listening to Bill Haley's record, and there are breath pops all over it. A bunch of them on Sinatra records as well.

kats

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

Quote:

I mean, you can hang the mic above the singer's mouth, so both sibilance and pops go "under" the capsule, but more than half of them will eventually tilt their head up towards the mic...

I really don't have bad luck in this regard. I usually have the mic angled perhaps 30-40 degrees and slightly above the singer's mouth, so that the mouth and the mic's diaphragm are not perpendicular as a starting point. That is usually just fine.

The only time I use screens is if I'm trying to save the mic from a "sloppy" singer.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Markus Aalto

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »

Anybody tried these? Does it fit to U87?

index.php/fa/14958/0/

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/accessories/accessories.html

I've found information elsewhere, it fits mics with
a diameter of 47mm or 1 7/8".

Anyway, it's not original one.

piedpiper

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

I always try to do without a pop screen but I've always thought that using a single layer hemispherical sieve would function much better than the usual flat planed pop screen as it would encourage plosives to go around it rather than wanting to push against and through the flat plane, and would present no standing waves, similar to putting the usual type at an angle. My experiments have been encouraging. Anyone thought along these lines?
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.