R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: U87 Anniversary Edition  (Read 27548 times)

John Stafford

U87 Anniversary Edition
« on: August 13, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

Anyone have any idea about this mic? According to the Neumann website 'it is an exclusive version with unique product features'.

Many thanks
John Stafford

Barry Hufker

Re: U87 Anniversary Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »

We've had the "ruby" jeweled M49 and the "pearl" M50.  I'm not sure that would look good on a U-87 but maybe...

Guitar-mart marketing -- I don't necessarily disagree.  Everyone is looking to generate some news and stand out from the crowd.

Don't forget the piano-black Monolith TLM 103 for the U.S. market only (to try to stem grey-market purchases).

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »

And now we have the actual information:
Functional aspects identical to regular U87Ai, limited availability (not by numbers, but by time: 1 year from introduction, AES 2007)
Upcharge, retail: ca. $650.- vs. stock

index.php/fa/6157/0/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

And here are the features and details:

(received from Dan Radin, Neumann/USA):
Quote:

September 5, 2007
Dear Neumann Dealer:
It is not only a number, it?s a legend!  The U 87, the world?s most commonly used large diaphragm microphone celebrates its 40th anniversary! In honor of this milestone, we are proud to announce the launch of the U 87 Anniversary Set.  

The set is a collectors item and a must-have for all true Neumann fans!  The Anniversary Set features the legendary U 87 microphone in a special polished nickel finish and is accompanied by the unique and exclusively designed PS 87 popscreen and EA 87 elastic suspension.

The set comes in an elegant vintage-style case with fine embroidery and leather details. Each U 87 Anniversary Set is delivered with a signed, framed certificate of authenticity including the individual microphone serial number. The set even includes a dust cover with the 40th Anniversary logo and a pair of white gloves.

The set will only be available for the next 12 months so order now to secure your inventory of U 87 Anniversary editions. Please use the attached order form.  

Model: U 87 Anniversary Set      
Finish: Polished nickel
Shipping Weight: 11.02 lbs.
Shipping dimensions: 8.5? x 18.7? 14.0?
Pricing:
Retail: $4,999.00
Model Comparison U 87 Set Z U 87 Anniversary Set
U 87 Ai Microphone classic nickel or matte black polished nickel
EA 87 Shockmount classic nickel or matte black polished nickel
PS 87 Popscreen ? polished nickel
Case Woodbox U 87  fits mic only Vintage style, leather detail, fits entire set
Dust cover ? Embroidered cloth
Production: Unlimited 12 months

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

yoink

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:01:06 AM »

Why Mic companies don't sell their "Anniversary" editions (for that one year) at the same price as the "original" they're celebrating boggles my mind.

If people didn't get suckered into such things and didn't buy them, the companies  would either stop making them, or price them the same as regular editions

Petros Kolyvas
Wanna-be Engineer
Full time Composer and Video Editor
"The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned." -Bruce Ediger

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »

The extra popscreen looks to me very suspect. It may work as an acoustical antenna conducting resonances into the housing of the microphone.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »

Dan Radin/Neumann/USA wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 00:52

The set is a collectors item and a must-have for all true Neumann fans!  

And maybe as such it should be treated - no need to get it if you merely want a workhorse mic.

I personally find the whole package very appealing cosmetically, and think the upcharge is very reasonable for what you get. Alone the polished metal parts are much more labour intensive to produce (at least with the surface quality that Neumann usually delivers) than a part that's only machined and sandblasted afterwards.
It's lovely that white gloves are included. Can this set be ordered in various (glove) sizes?  Razz

The "40 years" logo is a bit funny. It initially looked somewhat japanese to me before I figured out that it's meant to resemble the head basket of the U87...
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Oliver Archut

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »

For that price they should include a stainless steel BBQ set, that is the only real must have for any true fan, regardless the Brand Name.
All the "real" Neumann fans I know saved up their money and bought themselves a "real" Neumann mic.... 4x,5x,6x...
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 04:18

The extra popscreen looks to me very suspect. It may work as an acoustical antenna conducting resonances into the housing of the microphone.

Neumann staff explained it as a tribute to the Beatles days, when a similar looking (probably EMI-made) popper stopper adorned the U48s (and C12s!) at Abbey Road Studios.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Barry Hufker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »

That's exactly it.  The windscreen is classic EMI/Bealtes.

White gloves -- the O.J. audiophile.  "If the white gloves fit, you must commit!"

Barry

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:27:47 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote:"Neumann staff explained it as a tribute to the Beatles days, when a similar looking (probably EMI-made) popper stopper adorned the U48s (and C12s!) at Abbey Road Studios."

Modern pop stoppers not mounted to the microphone itself do a way better job, than this one made from metal if you would ask me.

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Gone

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »

If anyone has been watching "Live From Abbey Road" on the Sundance Channel - these pop screens appear to be in constant use to this day at Abbey Road. They are on every U47/8 being used for vocals (Dave Matthews, among others). Though one can't perform any type of A-B comparison when listening to these live-in-studio recordings, they sound very good to me.

I personally find the gooseneck windscreens to often be problematic - the gooseneck construction of most models is pretty weak (and I've tried just about every pop screen on the market). They 'wander' after being placed, especially during long sessions. Some of them only will attach to certain parts of a mic stand, due to width of certain parts. I have thrown a few of them out the back door of the studio during a session, when they weren't cooperating.

I think a small pop filter without the excess contraptions would come in handy for musicians who need to read music or lyrics while playing - less clutter.

FWIW - I contacted Dan Radin at Neumann, and they are not currently offering the PS87 pop filter alone (outside of this package, that is). Apparently I'm the only one who would care Smile

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:15:01 AM »

I admit I would be interested in owning a few.

Barry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:45:18 PM »

Of course, I immediately asked the Neunmann rep about that, when I saw the screen: can one buy "just" the screen?

He said, offering this accessory independently right now, would cut into the complete package's uniqueness, before it had a chance on the market. Cherry-picking it would defy the purpose of the exercise.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Barry Hufker

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

I imagine Neumann didn't make the screens (just as they didn't make the shockmount).  I know BLUE and RED microphone companies sell that kind of screen.  The question "who makes it for them".

Barry
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.