R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loose part in my AKG D19  (Read 4153 times)

minister

loose part in my AKG D19
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »

hi folks,

this isn't a 'high-end' microphone, so i didn't post this in Klaus's forum....

but i have an AKG D19 with a rattle-y part.  i think it is the phase plug behind the capsule.  it is only a problem when you attach it to a claw and put it on a drum.  the rattling part interferes with the sound.  so, why put it on a claw?  well, i moved it to a floor stand and it is fine.

but i am wondering who can look at it to see if they can successfully re-attach what is inside that came off.

i suppose these things are a bit of a gamble.  the mic is not worth THAT much, but they are now going for TWICE what i paid for one on ebay (at the moment), so perhaps it is worth it to get repaired.

any advice or leads to reputable repair guys would be great.

thanks.
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Vertigo

Re: loose part in my AKG D19
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »

Take it to a qualified professional. These mic's are VERY easy to ruin forever if you open them up and make a mistake. And they're great mic's, well worth the cost of repair in my opinion. I have four D19c's, as well as a pair of 119's (slightly different mic, same element). They're some of my most used and favorite mic's.

-Lance

minister

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Sun, 29 July 2007 12:56

Take it to a qualified professional.
Thanks.  I wasn't planning on doing it myself.  As i asked in my first post, whom do you recommend?

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

rodabod

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 04:35:52 AM »

You need to figure out which part is loose.

The most common part to become unattached is the plastic washer/flange which sits underneath the capsule diaphragm in front of the vent hole on the capsule body. This can be heard as a loud "pop" as you turn the mic from side to side. To repair, the diaphragm needs to be removed, and the flange needs to be re-glued. It's not easy.

Anything else is likely to be more simple, and could probably be done by an amateur. The only thing to really watch out for when opening a D19 (or equivalent capsule microphone) is to avoid touching the two small tubes which exit the side of the capsule. These insulate the voice-coil wires which are extremely easy to break if you bend them (so watch out when you replace the grill).

Roddy
Roddy Bell

minister

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »

thanks for the info Roddy.

I would prefer to have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.  i am not going to do it; so i cannot say what part it really is..  if i can find someone, i will let them know what you said.

from the lack of response, i am guessing there aren't many people who can repair this.  it's a shame.

tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

panman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

Hi Tom,I think I could surely help you, but my location is in Switzerland and I did not find out your location.
                                                Esa
E.T.

minister

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:51:20 AM »

Hi Esa,

THANKS!

i am in Minneapolis, MN, USA.

but, as it so happens, i will be in Switzerland starting September 9th.  I will be in Baden near Z
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.