R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Care and feeding of XLR connectors  (Read 3078 times)

locosoundman

Care and feeding of XLR connectors
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »

I recently recorded an outdoor concert.  Of course, a thunderstorm came up and some of my cables and connectors got wet.  I left them out in an air-conditioned room overnight to dry, but I am concerned about the connectors becoming compromised by oxidation.

Is it okay to use a general electrical-grade de-oxidizing cleaner, or must it be a more expensive thing like Caig's Deoxit?

Also, is there any sort of general connector-cleaning process that would be good to practice in general as part of routine maintenance?

Thanks.

What does this little red button do?

Barry Hufker

Re: Care and feeding of XLR connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »

If you use DeOxit, be sure to wipe it off right away after application.

Barry

locosoundman

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:16:16 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  Two more questions if you will indulge me:

If I am wiping off the "de-oxidant," is it then safe to assume that any general electrical-grade de-oxidizer (such as the $2 one available at any hardware store) will more-or-less do the job?

Also, is it preferable to use a solvent, such as 99% Isopropyl alcohol to remove the de-oxidizer?

Thanks much!

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:34:27 PM »

If XLR connectors had iron pins I would be scared, but most of them are silver or gold coated. I found out that the worst ever can happen to your XLR connectors is when sand particles come in the female connectors. Then you are in real trouble.

Schallfeldwebel
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know any more than I've said.

I wish I could help more.

Barry

locosoundman

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »

Thanks anyway Barry - when/if you have used Deoxit, did you just wipe it off with a dry cotton swab?

I am pretty sure my connectors aren't sliver coated - that would be an oxidation nightmare I think.  Definitely not gold.  Mostly Neutrik connectors I am talking about - I think they make them out of nickel, although the female side of my Whirlwind snake has a yellow metal of some kind which I am not sure about - I am pretty sure it's not gold-plated.

Does nickel oxidize?

Edit - I just found the answer to this question.  Nickel does not oxidize easily - it is used in making stainless steel for precisely this purpose - RA

Should connector cleaning be done periodically as part of maintenance?  

We certainly pay enough for the mic's, preamps, converters and everything else - could dirty connectors compromise sound quality or is that just some audiophile myth?

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »

I am pretty shure that most of my Cannon and Switchcraft connectors are silver coated. If they are not used for a long time, (10 years) they get black, but I have been told even then they have good contact. If they are really black I clean them with the finest sandpaper I have from a juweler, or I plug and unplug them with another connector twenty to thirty times. I rather do not use any chemicals. All my other XLR's are gold coated, these are the Neutrik black types, these have never changed in colour. I am not aware nickel is used for XLR's.

The only trouble I had was when I once recorded in a church where they still had the old fashioned tradition to have white sand on the wooden floor. I had to throw away those connectors.

Schallfeldwebel
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.