R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheapest recording/Best Results  (Read 4674 times)

jackbomb

Cheapest recording/Best Results
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:47:12 AM »

Hey

I'm new to this forum, so thought I'd open with something that may well get me laughed at and/or slated somewhat.

I'm predominantly a live sound engineer, and doing alright on that front.

I'm also in a band, and recently laid down some tracks in our rehearsal room (someone lent us his time and a hard disk 12 track recorder).

So I've got the individual tracks.

Next step - download audacity and mix using hi fi speakers.

Obviously this is about as far away from ideal as you can get.

I should mention that the drum tracks - particularly the snare drum ended up sounding absolutely awful.  I wasn't in control of the recording, which I am aware was a mistake, but I'm liking the challenge.

What I'd like to achieve though is getting REALLY good results from doing it the hardest way.  Audacity is proving to be a nightmare in several ways, although I'm using it to it's absolute extreme limits.

And by limits you all know what I mean.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to change the EQ whilst the track is playing?  And to use a plug in... well... as a plug in, not a wave shaper.

I've downloaded just about every useful VST plug in I can find, although without the intended graphics to support them, even they're a bit difficult to use.

So - first of all - if anyone else on here has tried this, I'd be interested to know how you got on.

Secondly - if anyone else fancies doing it too, and we can all post our results up.

In any case, if anyone's interested - I'll be posting links up to some mixes of how I'm getting on for review/criticism....

Or am I just gay?

Fox

Re: Cheapest recording/Best Results
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »

Hey man, you might have better luck posting this in whatever works or something. This forum is primarily for software reviews, and not too many people come through here.

That said, try using this instead of audacity (if you're on PC, that is)

http://www.reaper.fm

Much better than audacity IMO.

pipelineaudio

Re: Cheapest recording/Best Results
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:44:20 AM »

if you are using reaper and need any help click this link and theres usually some people around in chat to help you

http://www.mixxnet.net/java/?channel=reaper

Also, you can make audacity one of your right click two track editors from inside reaper if you want, they work well together
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.