R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good new for indie rock-ers in the UK  (Read 4913 times)

Jules

Good new for indie rock-ers in the UK
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:16:45 AM »

The market in post Strokes UK is favoring a LOT of indie rock bands right now.

At the moment the past glut of cookie cutter 'teen anthem' punk bands are on the decline. MTV2 UK is featuring more and more solidly indie rock acts - many from the US.

In fact its very hard to keep track of them all now.

Emo flavor still abounds and is there for those that like a heavier  racket.

Nerdy looking bands with 'older' looking members giving the impression they might be able to read a newspaper  or the occasional book from time to time seem to be sharing the limelight with the wallet chain skater, couch n slouch  brigade..

Also back in the spotlight is PURE songwriting, indie rock posturing is no longer enough, its catchy radio friendly  TUNES TUNES TUNES that are carrying these bands  through.

So indie rock IS playing the establishment game now, at least in the catchy tune / radio friendly dept.

As for any sort of new indy rock intelligentsia, they may look 'bookish' or like they have been through university but I am not so sure it's guaranteed that this next batch coming up have anything to say in particular...They may be just as politically & spiritually barren as the next knuckle head new metaller dreaming of stadium gigs or vacant skate pop punk  dreaming only of floating dollars out of teenagers wallets...

Its all there, they look smart, lets see if they really ARE and what they ACTUALLY do with it.

Is it enough that they rise to simply create a job for themselves touring & recording? (bravo! Go shopping now! Buy a big car! I've got mine - get yours?) Or do folks want more culturally out of an indie rock act? Put a few anti war images in the next video and call it a day perhaps? - What?

Contemporary Indie rock as a genre - grade C - been around long enough now must really try harder to realize it's full potential.

j.hall

Re: Good new for indie rock-ers in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »

great post Jules.  thanks for the run down on current events in the UK

it's always seemed odd to me that america grabs it's musical trends from the UK, and we tend to send our bands over there first in order to get them to break here SECOND.  americans are sheep.  sad but true.

you bring up many good points but one that bothers me, "indie rock playing the mainstream game"  as that's, in essence, impossible.  the point is, copying a sound and style is rather easy.....and like i always have said, "it's only a matter of time before major labels realize what's going on in the basement and just how many kids are a part of it."

i'd take a major label deal for my current band any day.  i think a fundamental difference is that the indie rock bands that lack perspective of their roots will take the deal for the fame and fortune, where as us old guys would take it, "to change the world"  the fame and fortune is a great benefit while educating the masses.  hahahaha

it'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Jules

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 06:51:11 PM »

Is indie rock - too 'comfortable and cool'?

What about the rock stars of tomorrow?

Are indie rocker simply too cool to become big stars?

Must it remain low key?

I contend that you need to be able to have a few band members that can hold their own on say a chat show or an interview situation for indie rockers to 'get across'.

Look at the UK's biggest "indie band" The Stereophonic's, the lead singer would have any interviewr yawning and looking at his watch within a few minutes, they guy clearly has a personality bypass... Where are the PERSONALITIES... Shit even REM disapointed, a reclusive singer and a guitarist that punches airhostesses... cool! (not)

Anyhow, I dont think we are arguing! Thanks for running this place and letting me vent.

I HOPE indie rock is the breeding ground for a decent batch of new rock STARS, god know we could do with some...

Thats my wish...

Fingers crossed...

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 10:53:34 AM »

Jules wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 17:51

Is indie rock - too 'comfortable and cool'?

possibly.  one thing that always bothers me about the "mind set" of many bands is they think they are superior to mainstreamism.  their music and attitud is "SO much better".  which is simply not the case, it's just different.  i'm a huge bjork fan, and as sucessful as she has been in the "mainstream" (she's hardly a mainstream personality and artist) their are VERY few indie rock bands that could even remotley touch her musical gift.

yet, a sucessful record, or career makes the indie rock kids automatically think they are better then you.  sad really.

Quote:

What about the rock stars of tomorrow?

if trends in the underground persist, rock stars of tomorrow will be timid reclussive people that answer all questions with a shrug of the shoulders and a meek, "i dunno"

Quote:

Are indie rocker simply too cool to become big stars?

the whole, probably.  but nirvana blew the doors off corporate rock in the early 90's because they were different, musically and personally.  i think we need that now.  we need a band that stirs the pot and can walk onto MTV and have a presence, not necessarily a big voice.

Quote:

Must it remain low key?

indie rock in theory will always thrive in the underground, that's its place, it's home.

if the indie rock of today breaks through for another giant rock "revival", the underground will simply shift and move a different direction, abandoning those who went "big time".  it happened before, it will happen again!

Quote:

I contend that you need to be able to have a few band members that can hold their own on say a chat show or an interview situation for indie rockers to 'get across'.

oh, no doubt.  you can't all be little timid people looking at the floor.  to "make it" you have to have just enough ego, and humility, to round out the package.

Quote:

Anyhow, I dont think we are arguing! Thanks for running this place and letting me vent.

no way is this an argument.  great topic, and i love discussing it.  vent here all you want!!  i'm glad you're here to toss in a perspective i simply don't have (being across the ocean, and in a different scene)

Quote:

I HOPE indie rock is the breeding ground for a decent batch of new rock STARS, god know we could do with some...

Thats my wish...

Fingers crossed...

mine too.  i've been hearing some really great stuff from unsigned bands.  i mean, really great stuff.  a few bands i can think of could easily be HUGE if a major ever caught wind of them.  

personally, i've become really frustrated with bands i'm working with.  i have no place to go with them, no one will listen to me, or the bands.  if i had a million dollars, i'd put all this out and reep the benefits myself.  but for now, i'm just shouting at a brick wall, "this will be huge, this will be huge, sign this band."  it's no use, i'll juat have to say, "told you so".  i can't even get a single lawyer to talk to me about shopping some of this stuff.  this is insane!!!

no one wants to take a smalle risk to potentially enjoy a huge reward?  i thought this was SHOW BUSINESS!!!!

xonlocust

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:30:02 PM »

jules-

i just got back from the uk and was lucky enough to play with some amazing bands over there - in no particular order:

punish the atom (nottingham)
the big bang (birmingham)
electrelane (brighton - but they're already pretty big)
la momo (brighton i think)
todd (near london somewhere)
flying matchstick men (glasgow)

i was totally impressed. i hope the best for all of them. and then of course there's mclusky, who just totally rule the school.  good job uk - now work on that goddamn food!  Smile

and wait, aren't franz ferdinand just about the new strokes?  they are on the cover of everything right now over there. they're from an indie background and are totally on the verge of being rockstars now.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 06:27:17 AM »

I just checked the websites for two local Secondary Schools (our equivalent of your High School) and found that both have active Music Faculties.  Now I don't know if that applies nationwide, or to the majority of schools.  But, if it does, then that access to free formal music education could explain why British artists are pulling ahead of their US counterparts (where, from what I've heard, music is being phased out of the curriculum).  At least in terms of knowledge and technique.

Heck even our lame Pop Punk bands (Busted, McFly) are way better than YOUR lame Pop Punk bands  Laughing

Joking  Rolling Eyes

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 10:18:00 AM »

no no.....that's no joke, you're totally right

hey, xon.....welcome back my friend, i've been waiting

Jules

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 08:07:34 PM »

Franz Ferdinand rule supreme as the new nerd indie stars..

They are paving the way for a new Talking Heads II style revival. Everyone into 80's semi technologic sounds is getting very excited...

Lets see how it pans out...

The Departure just got signed out of my studio to a major, they sound very 80's.

A friend from BMI tiped me of about a gig held at the American High School in London last Saturday, 7 bands! I would have LOVED to have checked that out, but my girlfiend nixed it.....

Americans have a habit of selling back to the brits their OWN style, but done better!

The Dandy Wahols for example are more rock n roll and "Stonesy" than any UK act put together!

Interesting times.

It is oficial, THIS WEEK at least - its cool to be making music and be from the UK (in the UK)

(last year you HAD to be from Scandinavia)

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:24:37 AM »

i'm packing bags and moving every 2 years

that seems to be the typical cycle of "hot spot" change

it's just a matter of getting to the hot spot before it blows up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 18 queries.