R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Millennia Mic Pre's  (Read 23459 times)

Roland Storch

Re: Millennia Mic Pre's
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »

Hank Alrich wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 18:49

As for keen specs, the Gordon is killer, and it sounds as if the specs there actually mean something. For a super clean pre I personally won't bother looking elsewhere.

Is the Gordon another clean? Less boring like Fletcher states?

Hank Alrich

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »

Roland Storch wrote on Fri, 20 July 2007 13:47

As for keen specs, the Gordon is killer, and it sounds as if the specs there actually mean something. For a super clean pre I personally won't bother looking elsewhere.

The Gordon is clean beyond my imagining (check the specs), and boring just doesn't have anything to do with the way it delivers sound.

I only need a few pre channels. I have the first-ever Great River MP2-MH, a Millennia HV3D 4-channel, and an early Phoenix GTQ2 that we're trying to get back to working to something in the neighborhood of spec. My pre lust list is now short: a GR MP2-NV and a pair of Gordons. (I could use another Evil Twin, too, but that's a different subject.)

Gordon info here:

http://www.gordonaudio.com/

I wish more folks knew about these pres. They're never going to be ubiquitous because Grant builds them himself and sells them direct. They'd cost too much more via distro and retail.

Sigma

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

Hank Alrich wrote on Sat, 21 July 2007 11:49

Roland Storch wrote on Fri, 20 July 2007 13:47

The Gordon is clean beyond my imagining (check the specs), and boring just doesn't have anything to do with the way it delivers sound.

I only need a few pre channels. I have the first-ever Great River MP2-MH, a Millennia HV3D 4-channel, and an early Phoenix GTQ2 that we're trying to get back to working to something in the neighborhood of spec. My pre lust list is now short: a GR MP2-NV and a pair of Gordons. (I could use another Evil Twin, too, but that's a different subject.)

Gordon info here:

http://www.gordonaudio.com/

I wish more folks knew about these pres. They're never going to be ubiquitous because Grant builds them himself and sells them direct. They'd cost too much more via distro and retail.

i always check the specs before i use something errrr NOT

ears amazing things they are..use them often!

George_

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 01:26:08 AM »

Quote:

My current favorite bit of "clean" is set to come out in a couple weeks. It's made in Atlanta by a company called "NPNG". I've been dicking around with the proto-type for more than a year and have to say that I've never experienced "clean" like this "clean"... it is a very "deep" sounding "clean"... a "clean" with size, a front, a back, a depth and a definite soul.

besides Gil, you are the master of creating legends in 5 minutes Very Happy

thanx fletch, will check this unit out.
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

Larrchild

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 01:53:29 AM »

nice avatar.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

George_

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 02:27:19 PM »

ups..

sorry no offense man  Very Happy

George Necola

Larrchild

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 03:09:47 PM »

it's funny.
Don't change.
They are different.
Just noticing.
The basement in MARS uses it too.
No worries.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

George_

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »

"I'm beginning to smell a big fat Commie rat,"   Laughing

Laughing

George Necola

Jim P. Allen

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Mon, 16 July 2007 10:16

Then whip out that soldering iron and make some. Get those knockoff kits from Seventh Circle and save $$$. Pop in some MAT-02 front end transistors in place of the LM394's and use some decent opamps, (not the dirty OPA604).

Hi Jim,

I'm about a stone's throw away from building a bank of SCA c84s.

What replacement opamp do you recommend?

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim Williams

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 11:08:08 AM »

Try these:

LME49710
LM6171
OPA134
OPA211
OPA827
LT1357
THS4051
THS4601
THS4631
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim P. Allen

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »

Great.  Thanks!

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »

bananahill wrote on Fri, 06 July 2007 21:10

emperor's new clothes...
I've never understood the hype about these mic pres.
there are so many better options.

Pendulum MDP-1
Aphex 1100
DAV BG-1
Summit TPA 200B

We have 3 Aphex 1100's here... After getting the HV3D we never turn them on anymore.  In comparing them, I personally like the HV3 better.  Also, we've had (and still continue to have) problems with the 1100's.  For a while I was constantly bringing them back to their service center.  Finally we just said screw it and deal with the problems.  On all three, the trim pots are flaky and half the time they don't work.  On two of the three units one side crackles and we have to wiggle the gain knob to get it to stop... and then it start up again a little while later.  And because they get so hot, they constantly just stop working.  We send them in for repair... three days later we get them back and they work for about 6 months and then they stop working again... and so on... I think this is the longest time we've gone without repairing them... and that's only because we never turn them on anymore! LOL

So... to each his own.
Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

neilio

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »

for what its worth, i had to do an overdub in a makeshift pro tools rig-set up thing inside a tracking room while the album was being mixed in the control room, i cant remember if the original was the focusrite console,and 4k g series or a 1073 pre(might have been an original 312), anyway different mike, different room straight into pt instead of tape, and the studio,o'henry(R.I.P.) hank, who had EVERYTHING had an origin that millenia had given him on permanent loan, anyway that flavor of clean made it very easy for me to almost perfectly blend the o/d with the original signal, that said the origin seemed balless solo'ed but very decent within the context of material.

anywhooo....

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »

I have been using Millennia pres for 11 or 12 years now. When I want clean, whether its a symphony orchestra or a solo instrument,
the Millennia is the first I reach for (and i have other options) and it never disappoints.

Unlike Fletcher, I do not find them the least bit boring. I find them to deliver an accurate (to my ears), clean, and dimension sound. I respect both Fletcher (who i've always found very approachable) and his opinions, however in this case I have to wonder if his opinion of the Millennia pres isn't "colored" by the "war of words" he and the Millennia owner had some years ago (and about which they both wrote a lot - some would say too much- about some years back.  
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Bryson

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »

In my quest for a "straight wire" mike amp, I got an HV-3 and a Hardy 990 servo type. I sold the HV-3. It sounded great on some stuff but something about the high end bugged me: the Hardy sounded more natural to me.

I have yet to hear a GR MP-2MH, but am building a diy clone of one right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 17 queries.