R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New AMI Transfomer For Shure SM57/58/AKG D12  (Read 53280 times)

Jim Williams

Re: AMI transfomer for sm57/58 anyone know anything about it?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

The Juarez, Mexico made 57 capsules are inferior to the one's made in Illinois. Any direct comparison of these tells the same story. I contacted the Shure engineers after I got some Mexican 57's as they didn't have the extended top end that the Unidyne III's have. They told me they are made the same and they sent the same diaphragm stampers to Mexico, they didn't replace them. I suspected the dies were worn just like record stampers. Anyway, they never told me they replaced anything, it could be tired machinery at work, sloppy QC or both.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

maxdimario

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 07:05:57 AM »

JJ or compasspnt please do an overhead drums recording as it is the easiest way to hear the difference.

Yes,I heard a difference on JJ's sound files, especially the drums.

with the guitar, being an artificial and distorted sound to begin with, it's difficult to determine what is obviously 'cleaner' one way or another, but there is a noteable difference between the two...

What you need to listen to is the initial attack of the drums and the decay in the bottom end, as well as the general air around the sound.

the AMI transformer beat the shure..

regarding the older shure mic..as with all circuit improvements, there is MORE of a difference when the sound source is better to begin with (has more reality-information to it) so that would imply that the AMI transformer is letting the sound through, unless the old shure transformer is worse than the new..

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 10:18:48 AM »

At some point, I'm going to try the transformer with my D12, which is obviously a better, more full range element.  I bypassed the AKG transformer in both my D12s, which I thought sounded better.  If I can fit the T58 in a barrel type connector, it would be sweet.

Max, I think maybe I was looking for improvement in tone, and not just transient response.  I think what sucks about 57s is their tone, and I guess my hope was that the T58 would do something about that.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

maxdimario

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 12:54:27 PM »

tone is in the capsule.

transformer distortion can be described as fuzzy, tinny, lo-fi but unless it is a *total* piece of junk it will not significantly alter the sound of the mic.

Does the D12 have a transformer? I didn't know that.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »

I love Oliver and his work so pardon me for this na

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »

Earlier D12s do.  I just worked on a friend's plastic ringed D12, and there's a dummy plastic transformer for the capsule to attach to.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:06 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 15 July 2007 20:00

Earlier D12s do.  I just worked on a friend's plastic ringed D12, and there's a dummy plastic transformer for the capsule to attach to.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how can one spot the difference between those two D12's without pulling them apart?
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Oh! My Sea Captain!

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »

I'm also wondering if it's worth it. I mean, including your time, how much does it all cost? If the final product can't better a pre-existing one at the same price point, why bother?

To those of you who have them, and minus whatever enjoyment you may have had while doing the conversion, is it worth it?
Tell her she's beautiful, roll the world over...

compasspnt

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

Trying to make things better is what we do.

When the drive to improve *anything* stops, the betterment of humanity lessens.

maxdimario

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »

if you use a 57 (or 58?) regularly, this is a good product to have.

otherwise change mic altogether.

it seems many people DO use 57's though... right?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »

Trying to make things better is part of what we do.  Using things that are better is also part of what we do.  If we were inventing the wheel and I made a square one and you a round one, I could improve mine by spending a lot of time (and money -- 'cause for the sake of this discussion I invented money) rounding it like yours -- or I could just use yours.

Barry

Tomas Danko

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »

Although I'm aware there are other sturdy microphones around, don't forget that the SM57 can take a lot of abuse and doesn't cost anything much.

Some people say they fail easily, but I have yet to see one that didn't survive a weekend in Mr. Wittman's carpenter shed after the completion of putting together a wooden stool.

It's still a useful tool (stool?) sometimes. Smile

J.J. Blair

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 03:43:59 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 15 July 2007 12:04

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how can one spot the difference between those two D12's without pulling them apart?

The frame that the baskets attach to is either plastic or painted brass.  I've only been inside one D12 with plastic a frame, and it was as I described.  I do recommend that you try bypassing the transformer, if there is one in your D12.  Just wire the capsule directly to the XLR output.  In my case, the results were great.
studio info

panman

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 05:23:27 AM »

This transformer in D12 stuff has been discussed in previous threads here, but just some reminders: D12:s use coils with different impedances, mainly 60 and 200 ohm but also 50ohm. The x-formers in most cases are used to step up the 60ohm to 200ohm.

J.J.stated an improvement, when removing the x-former. I agree, but at the same time you may loose the ideal 200ohm. So a better x-former would be the solution.

So my question to Oliver Archut: Have you made or do you plan to make a transformer for D12? I understand, that the difference cannot be big, but anything audible makes sense already.

Esa
E.T.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 05:32:56 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 16 July 2007 08:43

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 15 July 2007 12:04

The frame that the baskets attach to is either plastic or painted brass.  I've only been inside one D12 with plastic a frame, and it was as I described.  I do recommend that you try bypassing the transformer, if there is one in your D12.  Just wire the capsule directly to the XLR output.  In my case, the results were great.

Thanks JJ. Mine has the plastic frame, so I guess I don't need to bypass the transformer. Do you prefer the plastic framed one to the brass one, then?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.