R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: spectrasonics worth it ?  (Read 30854 times)

gevermil

spectrasonics worth it ?
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

Got  some 101 cards in a trade  and the possibility of getting a few 502 eqs . Dose any one hear use and enjoy them . I know some great records have been done on spectras but Its all old stuff and  not a ton of gain .  just looking for some practical advise .
g

Brian Kehew

Re: spectrasonics worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »

I'd say yes, but within reason. You seem to have some understanding of what they are - not an 80-series Neve. But you certainly do get "a sound" out of them, and it's a good, solid one. I don't know anyone who thinks they sound bad! And should be simple to connect up and power.
Relax and float downstream...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »

Jason Falkner uses a Spectrsonics console.

There.  I just drive the price up ten dollars.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

rob s

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:24:17 AM »

i thought jason had an auditronics?
ahh who cares

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:39:45 AM »

Ooops, you're right.  It is Auditronics.  I got confused.  I'm losing my mind.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »

Very early Auditronics were Spectrasonics.  Later ones were not.

Early ones, built in  Memphis by Auditronics under agreement with Wm Dilly of Spectrasonics from SS cards/parts/schematics were used at Stax and Ardent.

When Auditronics went solo, things degraded geometrically over time.

They sadly ended up as pretty junky radio consoles.

Larrchild

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:43:06 PM »

on "Old Getwell Road", lol

too bad they didn't.  Confused
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

NelsonL

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »

We just finally finished racking four SS 110's -- they're different from 101's as I understand it; +/- 24V, different input impedance etc.

Anyway, they sound very nice--

I have to thank TM for discussing these online, that's how I found about them originally. Anyway, they make a very nice addition to our little shop.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=605901915&size=l

Steve Hudson

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:22:01 PM »

I have a pair of 101s that Mike McHugh racked with the same UTC and Triad transformers that would have been used in the old SS consoles (according to Mike). A pretty neutral-sounding pre with not much gain. Not a bad-sounding circuit but not as exciting as a API or Quad Eight pre. I also have one of the Spectra Sonics 1100 6x1 mono mixers, which uses a single 110 card. Same general sound as the 101.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

mikeiver

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:12:15 AM »

NelsonL wrote on Sat, 23 June 2007 20:55

We just finally finished racking four SS 110's -- they're different from 101's as I understand it; +/- 24V, different input impedance etc.

Anyway, they sound very nice--

I have to thank TM for discussing these online, that's how I found about them originally. Anyway, they make a very nice addition to our little shop.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=605901915&size=l

Just found this thread after searching for info on the 110 cards.  

A friend here in the Los Angeles basin (old timers here would likely know him) asked me if I could take 16 line cards from a spectra sonics mixing console and make a 12 channel outboard tracking console for him.  In the process of doing this I did some reverse engineering of the channel and now have a schematic for the unit minus the 110 card.  I can tell you that though the power supply may be 24 volts for the 101 card the 110  based strips and buffer OpAmp run at +-17.5 Vdc.  They are A67 transformer based inputs and a simple un-balanced output from an opamp.  All of the strips I used were upgraded to NE5534 OpAmps.  I will likely upgrade these to the OPA134 or one of the new National Semiconductor OpAmps in the near future.

One funny thing I found, I took the EQ section from one unit and placed it in line with a second so as to get double the EQ control, there was a marked increase in gain for the unit.  My guess is that it is around 10Db.  Now the 110 is a rather strange card to diagram I can tell you and I still don't understand the way the EQ works with it.  All I can figure is that it is in the feedback loop of the 110 card?  Bottom line, they are great sounding strips, really quite and I am told they really give life to drums but what the hell do I know?

Any one here got the 110 card and EQ diagram?  I did diagram the EQ, not sure if I got the inductors right though.

Mike Very Happy
'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself.'
--Mark Twain

" THOSE WHO HAMMER THEIR GUNS INTO PLOWS, WILL PLOW FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT" - THOMAS JEFFERSON

GridGuy

spectrasonics 110/101 preamp and EQ help
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »

Hi

I often build transistor and tube preamps and do custom work

I just got a eight channel, home built board that is 16 SS cards with eight cards driving SS two band eq's and eight with the Triad in transformers et all.

I have two extra cards that and all are model 101

I just found a schemo for a 110 card, and I already see some differences as I look over the cards.

The cards and EQs look mint

The plan is for me to build one 3-1/2" rack case preamp/EQ and hopefully build some tone into the design

I plan to use XICON "Red" caps and whatever mods I can do to get as much warmth as possible.

Then we will sell six of these units

I could use any Schemo info as possible, specially the EQ!

Here is a old photo album of some of the gear I have built

http://photobucket.com/albums/b121/SalesBoy/

Any help, greatly thanx,

I also have six Davin 600 ohm in/out pots, anyone into old console parts???

trunkline

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

Mikeiver wrote on Tue, 26 February 2008 05:12

\
One funny thing I found, I took the EQ section from one unit and placed it in line with a second so as to get double the EQ control, there was a marked increase in gain for the unit.  My guess is that it is around 10Db.  Now the 110 is a rather strange card to diagram I can tell you and I still don't understand the way the EQ works with it.  All I can figure is that it is in the feedback loop of the 110 card?

Mike Very Happy

Yep.  There's a 10K7 resistor in the feedback loop on 101's & 110's) that is replaced by the eq when eq is engaged.  So 2 eq's will give you a higher resistance & up the feedback.  

For 101's and/or 110's you can change the gain by changing feedback resistor thusly:

10K7 = 40db
20K = 45 db
42.2K = 50 db

Not sure where I got that info, & I haven't actually installed bigger resistor values.

Tom

John Monforte

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:05:01 AM »

PM me and I can send you a 101 schematic.

The very first studio I worked in had a Spectrasonics and an MM1000. Wow, that was a long time ago!
From conception to posterity through invisible technology.

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »

steampal

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »

Hi

I'm new to the forum.

I have a Spectra Sonics 1020-16 console (complete) and an Ampex MM-1000 2" 16 track with the patch bay, a set that was at CBS records in the 70's.  I've had it in my own private use for 20 years.  

I'd just like to be in touch with other SS users and interested folk to unravel any mysteries, and discuss the advantages.

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 17 queries.