R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDW Compressor for PT Accel?  (Read 6685 times)

McFly

MDW Compressor for PT Accel?
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:55:05 PM »

Hey George,

Welcome to your own new forum.  Best of luck with it.

Are you planning to come out a MDW Compressor for PT Accel?  I'm thinking about upgrading, and I'm wondering what new plugs will become available for Accel only.

thanks much!
McFly
M..C..F..L..Y!

dave-G

Re: MDW Compressor for PT Accel?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 12:20:11 AM »

Although I believe George has said in the past there's just not enough MIPS to make the 8900 algorithm happen in a plugin, I'd love to hear that Accel has provided the platform with which it can..

can it? Is that batter in the oven now?

-dave

ps: congrats on the new forum!
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

George Massenburg

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 07:02:49 AM »

We're working on it.

The nature of the analog processing in the compressor doesn't fit well into linear (digital) math.

We can probably do one 96k compressor per Accel chip right now.  That doesn't make folks that use alot of plugs very happy.

But stay tuned: things are getting faster by about x2 a year these days.

George

MorningStar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:45:25 AM »

George,
1 comp at 96k per accel chip. Would that be 2 at 48k?
I think the most important thing is whether it doesn't sound like ass. I would be more than willing to trade a chip for 1 or 2 really great compressors, and I think a lot of PT users would as well. I think your EQ is by far the best sounding EQ plug-in and don't really care how much DSP it uses.

I know this has been talked about before, but since you are a  software designer for PT plugs, I might as well ask. Is anyone working on third party mixer plug-ins? Does digi have a restriction on this? Do you have any plans for this or do you think the current mix buss is fine?

Thanks and good luck with the forum.

KevinC2

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »

Whoops didn`t see this thread when I posted in the other.

Personally I thing somebody finally getting a compressor right in Protools would be enough for me to switch over.

Once you can fit 10 chanels on there somehow with some eq to boot I may switch to in the box mixing.

I think the first step may be just proving it CAN sound good regardless of how much DSP it takes.

I think most of the digital compressors I`ve used to this date are very close to unusable.

After that people could either crunch it down somehow or by then Protools will be getting more powerfull again hopefully.

mdbeh

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 06:49:50 PM »

George Massenburg wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 06:02

We're working on it.

The nature of the analog processing in the compressor doesn't fit well into linear (digital) math.

We can probably do one 96k compressor per Accel chip right now.  That doesn't make folks that use alot of plugs very happy.

But stay tuned: things are getting faster by about x2 a year these days.

George

Interesting stuff.  2 questions:

I've yet to hear a plugin compressor that does large amounts of gain reduction transparently.  Is achieving that digitally inherently computationally intensive?  I gather that from your post, but I'm curious to know a little more how it works.

And...

In an ideal world, would you take up an entire Accel card for all your plugins?  If you had unlimited resources, for example, would be MDW EQ be a lot bigger?

It's very cool to have you on this forum, George.  I look forward to reading more.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

Niels Elemans

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 06:24:22 AM »

Could someone explain to me why a good compressor algorithm must be very DSP/CPU intensive? Of course you have to process in a really big word length to keep soundquality after gainreduction. Or has it something to do with complex attack/release curves? And does a higher sample rate matter for making a accurate algorithm, I heard it does matter for EQs.

-------------
Niels Elemans
Punch In Audio Services

Studio Engineering | Live Engineering | Location Recording | Composing
[url]http://www.punchin.nl/url]

George Massenburg

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 10:15:52 AM »

Niels Elemans wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 05:24

Could someone explain to me why a good compressor algorithm must be very DSP/CPU intensive? Of course you have to process in a really big word length to keep soundquality after gainreduction. Or has it something to do with complex attack/release curves? And does a higher sample rate matter for making a accurate algorithm, I heard it does matter for EQs.

Well, close.  Yes, we want to use higher sampling rates to get the control path right.  

As I mentioned, most processors are naturally linear; even floating point instructions are built from linear, simple algebraic operations.  What we understand of perceived dynamics have algorithms much more to do with exponential (logarithmic) relationships.  These are expensive to craft, mips-wise.

Also, as much as I love and use products based on convolution techniques, I would advise you not to be charmed by manufacturer's claims for modeling dynamics.  They are not telling you the truth - it does not work.  Yet.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 19 queries.