R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Binson Echorec2 - Need some help...  (Read 3277 times)

theemadcap1

Binson Echorec2 - Need some help...
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:01:29 AM »

Hello-
I have read previous threads on this unit. I just aquired a Solid State version of a the Binson Echorec Model T7E. It appears very clean and the platter turns nicely, it passes signal, no problem, but the echo is faint and it gives a slight crackle. I have sent an email to Eric Snow about this as well, but maybe someone out there can help me? I noticed it has a 'bank' of trim pots on the inside board, there are 8 of them in total. Before I start turning them, does anyone know what they control? I put some 'clock oil' on the two leather pads. Should I clean the heads with alcohol. I cleaned all the 'normal' pots out with contact cleaner, but there are the two larger unique pots that is used to select the echo.... Any advice? Does anyone know a good Binson tech here in Phoenix? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Cheers and Thanks in advance!!

CHANCE

Re: Binson Echorec2 - Need some help...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »

Clean the heads around the platter. That should do it.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Brian Kehew

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Binsons are a scary beast. I have had (no exaggeration) dozens of them go bad in various ways (Echorec, Echorec 2, BabyBinson, etc). I have heard of about three people who can fix them reliably (and even they give up on many cases). Shame, as it's a great sound, but I would not buy one that didn't work WELL, and even those can die soon after...
Relax and float downstream...

paully

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:48:11 PM »

Don't turn any of those internal trimmers until you get a schematic. They set the levels at various stages along the input and return paths. As mentioned, thoroughly cleaning the heads and making sure they are lubricated and alligned properly is your best bet. Don't count on Eric. Nice guy and knows his Binsons, but he has a tendency to forget to reply. Took me 3 months to get a schemo. Here's a B2 schematic that shows the trimmers. It's for a B2, NOT the paper for your unit, but trimmers should do roughly the same things. Still, don't adjust till you have the proper reference.

Best, Paul

index.php/fa/4836/0/

WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!

Oh! My Sea Captain!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:36:41 PM »

Thank your lucky stars it's not a Tel-Ray.....
Tell her she's beautiful, roll the world over...

Brian Kehew

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »

I don't know, the Binson is valve/tube, and I've never seen a TelRay that isn't basic solid state. ALL are fixable by the right person, but often that person is tought to find.

There is a website for Oil Can Echoes somewhere still I think. Binson fans ought to start something.
Relax and float downstream...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.