R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ZZ Tops "Legs"- The cleanest tambourine hits in the universe?  (Read 22021 times)

yanik

Re: ZZ Tops "Legs"- The cleanest tambourine hits in the universe?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »

I happen to love that residual jangling you're talking about, but if you want to get rid of it, don't hold the tambourine vertically and gravity will take care of it.

tom eaton

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 15:48

no offense to anyone but... it´s just a tambourine, right?

Uh.. that must have pointed at me... none taken, was just filling in the space between the digits with something I actually know something about.  I frequently have to perform percussion parts sung or scatted to me by clients... just thought it might help the original poster to get an idea of how to do it with the real thing.

When is the Compass Point sample library coming out?  Then we can just push more buttons and never have to move at all.  

t

Tidewater

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 05:45:04 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 15:55

Boy, some of you are so full of it, I wonder sometimes why I even bother.

Probably to protect yourself. It's cool.

There is a way that you angle the thing, an kind of hang out at the end of travel.. makes it sound just like a Terry Manning!

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

stevieeastend

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 22:25

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 15:48

no offense to anyone but... it´s just a tambourine, right?

Uh.. that must have pointed at me... none taken, was just filling in the space between the digits with something I actually know something about.  I frequently have to perform percussion parts sung or scatted to me by clients... just thought it might help the original poster to get an idea of how to do it with the real thing.

When is the Compass Point sample library coming out?  Then we can just push more buttons and never have to move at all.  

t

Hi Tom,

I found your post interesting. It´s just that I am not the type of person worrying too much how to record a tambourine. Wink

cheers
steveeastend

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »

Duh, you guys.  I know that Terry didn't do Miami Vice.  I'm just saying that somebody should do a mash up of the two songs.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »

steveeastend wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 17:52

...I am not the type of person worrying too much how to record a tambourine.

HEY NOW!  Without that blue plastic tambourine, that song would have been NOTHING!

tom eaton

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »

I found your post interesting. It?s just that I am not the type of person worrying too much how to record a tambourine. Wink

cheers
steveeastend

Funny... it was all about playing the tambourine... no recording info at all!

I'm going to go over to the four page snare thread and tell 'em it's just a snare.

They aren't even discussing how to hit the thing!

-t

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »

I remember how I played it.

I have no recollection at all of how I recorded it.

But I am starting to think it may be the best, most important tamb of all time...

tom eaton

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »

Hey Terry-

You can probably answer this question...

when did it become common (almost default) to put the long verb tail on single tambourine hits?  someone must have done it first...

t

compasspnt

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 19:34

when did it become common (almost default) to put the long verb tail on single tambourine hits?  someone must have done it first...

Surely I did it first, as I did most (good) things first, both inside, and outside the boundaries of the recording industry.

For instance, that round thing...

Kendrix

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »

Thanks.

In this case I had two tambs, nearly horizontal, and I broght them together for the hit.
That give me a nice balanced tone.

It seems I have a slight case of the "horizontal jangles".

Terry, For the record: When "they all" said it was a sample I was totally stunned and disappointed in their blasphemous comments.  Please have mercy on them.  
Ken Favata

d gauss

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »

i recorded these armenian (spelling?) folk guys years ago. 12 or 13 guys. they didn't speak english which was a trip unto itself, but anyways, one guy had a giant (15 inches or more) tambourine thingy he called a "def drum."
i thought it was the coolest thing ever. he would play it semi-horizontal with thumb, forefinger and pinky and could make it sound like kick/snare/hats all at once, with a real bonham kinda "boing" to it.

he was supposed to bring me back one when they came back to the states to finish the lp, but due to visa troubles, thy couldn't get back into the country, and we never saw each other again nor finished the album!  

a few years later i was in istanbul, turkey and i found one and bought it.  too bad it was a piece of crap and the head fell off within a week! Smile

ktownson

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »

This guy was pretty good, too:

index.php/fa/4915/0/

Jack Ashford - Upon hearing the early Motown records that invaded England in the '60s, EMI Records' president Sir Joseph Blackwood remarked they would never make it because the tambourine was mixed too hot.. But Sir Berry Gordy of Motown Records knew something that Sir Joseph didn't: Jack Ashford was not just any old tambourine player - he was a tambourine virtuoso. Just talk to any percussionist about "the cat that played tambourine at Motown" and watch them become enraptured.

But his first love was vibes, and his playing caught the eye of Marvin Gaye when he saw Jack playing with an organ trio in Boston. Coming to Motown at Marvin's request in 1963, Jack went on to become their most prolific percussionist, playing more than a dozen traditional percussion instrument as well as a few "off the beaten track" instruments like knee slaps, foot stomps, and his own invention, the "hotel sheet." A particular favorite of Marvin Gaye and Norman Whitfield, Jack's imaginative and colorful percussion grooves were one of the principal reasons why these two great artists always seemed to be breaking new ground with every recording they produced.

Born: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1934

Nicknames: None

Musical Influences: Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton

Instruments Played: : Deagan model 510 and Deagan Imperial Nocturne vibes, marimbas, tambourine, wood block, foot stomps, hand claps, maracas, cabassa, bells, chimes, bell tree, hotel sheet, triangle, finger cymbals, kazoo

Greatest Performances: "What's Going On," "Ooh Baby Baby," "Where Did Our Love Go"

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

mitgong

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »

I am not the type of person worrying too much how to record a tambourine. Wink

cheers
steveeastend

Ah but for the studio owner, a tamborine is a very wise investment.  Everybody wants to put it on the record somewhere, and assumes it's easy to play.  And then they do take after take just trying to make it through the song WHILE I LAUGH AND LAUGH AND LAUGH.  AT THEM.  

Our box of percussion toys is worth it's weight in gold.
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

maxim

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »

" Jack Ashford was not just any old tambourine player - he was a tambourine virtuoso"

i watched "standing in the shadows" over and over again for one reasson only:

to cop jack's tambourine technique

the guy was/is amazing (no offence, terry)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.