R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good mid-ish-priced mastering engineer recommendations?  (Read 24213 times)

BobSchwenkler

Good mid-ish-priced mastering engineer recommendations?
« on: June 03, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »

My work is starting to get to the point where the folks I'm working with are willing and able to take our mixes to get some good quality mastering work done. The studio rate is $450/day (engineer included), so I suppose I'm looking for someone who's accessible to people who are paying a rate like this. I actually am not that in on what mastering rates are like.

Another basic thing I'm looking for aesthetics-wise is someone who appreciates the sonic value of albums that don't sound overly loud, thin, poppy, "radio ready", insert your own adjective. As a reference, some albums that fit this bill for me include Daniel Lanois' stuff done with Adam Samuels (Shine and later, I think. No mastering credit on Shine) and Laura Veirs' more recent albums, by Roger Seibel at SAE.

I'd also love to work with someone who'd be willing to share a few words post-mastering and give me some feedback about my mixes.

I've cross-posted this on the PRW forum as well. Let me know if this is an issue. Thanks!

j.hall

Re: Good mid-ish-priced mastering engineer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »

my recommendation list i send to clients that ask me, goes exactly like this.

in no particular order, i recommend the following ME's.

Brad Blackwood - Euphonic Masters, Memphis, TN
Dave Collins - Dave Collins Mastering, LA, CA
Dave McNair - Sterling Mastering, NYC, NY

i can't quote rates for these guys, as i honestly don't know them.  however, the rest of your post is basically requesting a fairly (to highly) skilled ME (mastering engineer).  the size and scope of recording, overdubbing and mixing a band is so much larger then mastering.  even if hourly rates seem high to you, a great question to ask is how long it takes them to master a single song.  things vary for everyone, however most ME's can give you a decent ballpark.

hope this helps.

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

I think it's worth mentioning Dana at Specialized Mastering in Portland, OR.  ;-)
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

bgrotto

• Real Full Name: Benny Grotto
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »

My go-to guy is Jeff Lipton, at Peerless Mastering in Newton, MA.

fossiltooth

• Real Full Name: Justin Colletti
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »

The guys from Masterdisk and Sterling here in NYC are very good and have "indie" pricing options.

I've also heard a lot of good affordable work out of West Side Mastering, and I like Paul Gold from Salt Mastering for cutting vinyl at a great rate.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »

My work is starting to get to the point where the folks I'm working with are willing and able to take our mixes to get some good quality mastering work done.
Id highly recommend both Brad Blackwood and Dave Collins.
Both guys are at the top of their game, affordable, and very easy to work with.
Sean McDonald / Sofa King Music Services

Web         www.SeanMcDonald.com
Facebook  http://listn.to/SofaKingMusicServices

iCombs

• Real Full Name: Ian Combs
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »

I haven't worked with Brad Blackwood, but he mastered some tracks I did with my old band after I left said old band...and the mastering work was excellent.

I've only ever worked with Greg Reierson at Rare Form Mastering here in Minneapolis and he's always ALWAYS ALWAYS saved my ass.  :)

His rates are really reasonable, he's always been great to work with, and he turns out top-quality work.

bastille

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »

Roger Seibel is IMO pretty reasonable with his rates; I've had unsigned bands go with him and manage the expense.

Otherwise TJ Lipple here in the D.C. area is my go-to. He does good work, he's reliable, and an overall cool guy personally and in his musical aesthetic. His band Aloha is a good starting point (Home Acres is the most recent I believe.)]

For a little more modern/aggressive (not in a smashed pop radio sense, just in a little more punch and top end) Harris at Grey Market in Montreal has been reliably making clients happy as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.