R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures Taken by Hubble Space Telescope  (Read 3897 times)

organica

Pictures Taken by Hubble Space Telescope
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »

After correcting an initial problem with the lens, when the Hubble Space Telescope was first launched in 1990, the floating astro-observatory began to relay back to Earth, incredible snapshots of the "final frontier" it was perusing.

cool stuff ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/galleries/index.html?in_gal lery_id=9139&in_page_id=1055

djui5

Re: Pictures Taken by Hubble Space Telescope
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »

That stuff is wild. So if it's 8,000 light years away then that happened 8,000 years ago? Looking at history in real time. Amazing
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Version

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:32:53 PM »

holy shit those scientists must have been doing cartwheels around the laboratory when those pics came back from the giant beer can floating around the earth.

PRobb

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »

Wow. That's all. Just Wow.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »

That's incredibuhl....

They look like paintings.

It's strange how you could get a whole galaxy in exact focus from front to back, while being so far away.  And the ability to measure distances to things that are no longer there is fantastic.  Even though the captions talk about such and such being there or doing this or that when it actually happened in some cases even before life on Earth.

I would love to see some pics of planets in other solar systems. I wonder if that's possible.

I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

Die BREMSSPUR

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:32:16 PM »

djui5 wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 21:28

That stuff is wild. So if it's 8,000 light years away then that happened 8,000 years ago? Looking at history in real time. Amazing

Actually, I thought a lite year was the distance light travels in a year.

I could look it up but it's more fun thinking about it and I have to edit drums anyway....
I used to be self-effacing but I couldn't even do that right
http://www.pmtstudios.com

PRobb

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:55:47 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 16:32

djui5 wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 21:28

Actually, I thought a lite year was the distance light travels in a year.

I could look it up but it's more fun thinking about it and I have to edit drums anyway....

Yup. So light from something 8,000 light years away took 8,000 years to get here.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

rankus

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »

Die BREMSSPUR wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 13:30

I would love to see some pics of planets in other solar systems. I wonder if that's possible.

Unfortunately, not yet.  They can only detect planets by the amount of wobble they exert on the star they orbit at this point.  They also cite the fact that planets do not emit light so they are literaly in the dark as far as photos go...

But next time I'm over there I will take some pics for you  Razz
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

rankus

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »

PRobb wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 13:55

Yup. So light from something 8,000 light years away took 8,000 years to get here.

Even more awe inspiring is the fact that say something that is 28 million light years away, the photons (which are particles of matter) have been traveling un-interrupted for 28 million years before they enter your eye (or telescope)... so those particular photons were meant just for you... (no-one else will ever be able to capture that particular photon again).... wow man...

I sometimes think, as I watch the sunset, that dinosaurs watched the same sun set 260 million years ago...

Makes you feel really really small....

Pass the bong man....
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Annie

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

those were sumthin.

so are these -

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070110.html

a little bigger and daily.

danickstr

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:20 AM »

I saw a TV show that talked about some telescope that NASA is developing that will allow the discovery of planets, and it is scheduled to be launched in 10 years or so.  I will look for the site and edit this post if I find info.

I hat to be a party pooper but the color is enhanced on those shots, I believe, but they still are magnificent.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

djui5

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »

danickstr wrote on Fri, 12 January 2007 22:26

I hat to be a party pooper but the color is enhanced on those shots, I believe, but they still are magnificent.

Yes, these NASA photos you see are heavily "edited" and enhanced. They don't come from the telescope that way.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

organica

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »

the pictures evidently are not edited/ enhanced in a "traditional sense "
regarding the images....
     http://heritage.stsci.edu/commonpages/infoindex/ourimages/co lor_comp.html

"  The Hubble  Heritage Project team sees the Hubble Space  Telescope, in addition to being a research instrument, as a tool for extending human vision. The detectors on this space observatory are much more sensitive                                than the human eye. For example, they capture radiation                                with energies in the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum beyond the human visual range, as well as light that is fainter than we can see. The challenge is to convert these remarkably extended   data into visual images that convey the knowledge they've captured .
The detectors measure how the radiation from the sky varies in lightness and darkness and so render only black and white images. However particular                                energies of radiation can be selected, before it reaches the detector, by inserting filters which pass only specific wavelengths of light; these filters work like colored glass. Sometimes a set of 3 filters are used which approximate the same wavelength range of the EM spectrum as covered by the human eye.                                Combining black and white images from these filters generate natural color images. The structures in this kind of image are similar to those we would see with our eyes if we could traveled to the object of study."                              

SingSing

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 01:03:39 PM »

So there seem to be some people around here intersted in physics and astronomy... The enclosed pic is what I use as background on my desktop. Nasa got it on their website and it's an astounding 27000*6000 pixels. I'm having a friend of mine print it for me and it'll be 8 feet wide and almost 2 feet high at 300 dpi. I'll see if I can fit it somewhere in the studio  =)

Needless to say, the amount of detail this picture has is mindblowing. You can zoom and zoom and zoom and it's just fantastic to see all those things happening in our very own 'backyard'.

Now, a nice weekend to all of you....

Stefan
SingSing

Version

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »

Carl Sagan in 1994 wrote:

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar", every "supreme leader", every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there — on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

http://www.randi.org/images/122801-BlueDot.jpg

Carl Sagan said this about an image of our Earth from Voyager taken from 4 billion miles away or something like that. Added for perspective when we look at the grand cavern of Space.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 17 queries.