R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yamaha 02R  (Read 2979 times)

djklocek

yamaha 02R
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »

hello guys.

I have a problem - I'm planning to buy an 02R for recording. I'll be sending 32 tracks via adat so I'll use 4 extension cards and try to mix it. What I'm thinking (and others told me on other topic) is the sound will be a very non-analog sound.
Unfortunately i live in japan now and japan's market doesn't offer lots of stuff - mainly yamahas. So the question is:
Have somebody heard/did a nice recording using that setting? Can I get something good out of it if I'll use nice amp, mic, preamp?

I can buy a nice 02R+cards for about 1,2 grand so should I quit the idea and go for something else (I got 2 grands if i borrow money Smile)

Could you please share with me your opinions???

Thank you and best regards

Tomas Danko

Re: yamaha 02R
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »

There was this guy who produced an album using the 02R with a bunch of Tascam DA88 multitrack machines and got a nice award for the sound in the US. I don't recall the name of the producer or the band, perhaps you can Google it up.

The preamps are not that great, although they beat most built-in preamps in mid-priced soundcards. Pay attention to gain staging, and make sure to use the input attenuation in the 02R to avoid clipping when boosting the EQ. That is one of the easiest way to ruin the sound with the 02R, otherwise. The A-D conversion doesn't suck, but it sounds very nasty when clipping.

The EQ is not very musical, but you can do some useful stuff with it. It's a whole lot better for cutting than boosting, anyway. The compressors are not wonderful, but once you learn then you can even things out and get some punch in the sounds. Just forget what the millisecond display shows you, and use your ears instead. It's completely off the chart.

There are some decent effects in there, and if you've got the TC UnitY card in the 02R there are some very good reverb algorithms. Otherwise just use outboard, as usual.

I'm sure you could make a decent album with ADAT's and the 02R. It's not going to be easy to add dirt and grit for a rock album though, unless you've got some nice front end units (ie preamps, compressors and what not).

No matter what, you'll be having a very solid and inexpensive setup with most tools needed for recording a full band. Also, I do think that the 02R is very nice to work on. It makes you feel like you know what you're doing, and it's a whole lot more creative as a mixing environment compared to using a mouse and a computer screen (and this comes from a guy who's doing the computer-based-studio thing and sold his 02R).

Good luck with what's the most important, making that music!

Cheers,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

djklocek

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »

Thank you very much for your reply. I was a bit in depression but now I started thinking that this could be it for the first beginning. By the way I'm using pro-tools and yes, it is a terrible thing to mix on-the-screen. That's why I wanted to get it out from a pc and nail it with 02R.
Unfortunately it has only 4 slots and I'll be using all for ADAT inputs (32) so no trinity enabled for me.

Best regards.

My auction end in 5 days so do not hesitate to share other opinions. Thank you in advance

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »

I think there used to be a UnitY card with ADAT as well so you don't lose that slot. Or maybe it was only a one-way connection, I forget.

You know, if you get to buy the 02R cheap you can always sell it cheap later on. Until then, you can make some music.

floodstage

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »

Might want to PM Al

Jeff4h

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »

I started with a 02r four years ago. When I go back and hear what I did on it a adats it is terrible. I have a panasonic da7 now and although I use it mainly to monitor through when Im doing a session it blows the 02r away and by a lot. There are a lot of other people that agree. There is no way I would use a 02r;s pre amps. I just think you could spend you money a lot better way   then again 2000 wont get you very far towards a daw. You could get the adats and buy a da7. Go to DA7.com and check it out. You could probably find it on ebay for about $1000.

Greg Youngman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:22:51 AM »

Believe it or not... Frank Filipetti used an 02r and DA-88s for James Taylor's "Hourglass".  It may be a tad heavy in the lows for me, but I think it's a fabulous sounding record.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Tomas Danko

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:22:19 AM »

Greg Youngman wrote on Fri, 19 January 2007 05:22

Believe it or not... Frank Filipetti used an 02r and DA-88s for James Taylor's "Hourglass".  It may be a tad heavy in the lows for me, but I think it's a fabulous sounding record.

That's the album I was talking about! Smile

At the end of the day, what I meant was if you can't make an OK album with a 02R you're in the wrong business.

Once you can do that, get a Neve Kelso side car and a 2" and you may do even better sounding tracks...

Greg Youngman

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »

Everyone has ears, but how many use them?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.