R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EH NY-2A Issues  (Read 13108 times)

Randall Squires

EH NY-2A Issues
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:07:51 PM »

This seems to me to be a fairly common problem with these units...but I'm hoping to find out what other users and Oliver have to say on it.
I have an Electro Harmonix NY-2a that seems to have issues.
I use it as a stereo buss compressor. I of course calibrate it so that I get the same performance out of both channels. 1k @ 0vu into it. With the input gain knobs up to 2 o'clock, I set the Compression knobs to read 60%, and then set my output to read 0VU back at the console.
Here's the issue now. I''ve set up the input, and the compression, but I'm not getting the correct output on channel two. The issue is internal, as the output meter is reading realy low, and if I use the Post knob to turn it up, I'm distoring the crap out of the signal.
For those who don't know, there are TONS of tubes in these things and they get RETARDEDLY HOT!
So the questions are....
1. Anyone else have one that has gone bad. Does it happen often
2. Is there anything that I can do relatively cheaply to keep this thing working and cool.
3. Is this thing a piece and I should ditch it?

Sorry for the wierd disjointed post....but I'm in the middle of a mix, and it just went bad, and it's integral to the tone that I have been gettign on this record.

r

Randall Squires

Re: EH NY-2A Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 09:26:53 AM »

Oh, one more thing...
When I look inside of the unit it seems to me that none of the tubes are glowing.....
Any ideas?
r

Oliver Archut

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 12:39:30 AM »

Hello Randall,

the EH-NY2a is somehow a modern interpretation of the historic opto-leveling amplifier or best known as the LA2a. Never worked with it or on it but on the EH web-page

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F0 2%5FHome%5FStudio%5FPerformance%5FProducts%2F01%5FThe%5FNY-2 A

there is a pretty good description with some info on the updated features. The EM80 magic eye tube makes it appear like modern tube radio, it is a kind of a nice flavor a la Mike Matthews.

Why it does not work is pretty hard to say, you might want to get the filament voltage checked by a qualified tech.

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Randall Squires

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:44:09 AM »

Welp, I tried. Maybe someone else has one that has had problems and will get in touch with me. Crying or Very Sad

Randall Squires

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »

I opened it up today, and it looks as if a capacitor went on the powersupply.
r

Randall Squires

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:06:45 AM »

Not that anyone except for NY-2A owners realy care. I did find the problem.
The Case of the NY-2A is quite improperly vented. The ONLY venting is directly above the tubes, which generate CONSIDERABLY LESS heat than the power supply. The heat was so great that a transistor went bye bye, and therefore destroyed a cap that was supplying  the power to the tubes.
I replaced the transistor, and the cap.... I will soon be taking the panels of the case to a good machine shop, and having copious amounts of vent holes drilled throughout the enitire case.
At the very least my posts will be on record for anyone else that ends up in my position.
r

burp182

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:48:04 PM »

Thanks Randall. You've saved me trouble down the road, I'm sure.
We read 'em. Believe it. And we appreciate all the info that pops up on this godsend of a board.

Coco

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »

Yes, thanks for the heat issue comments. I'm actually about to buy one of the NY-2A units and when I do, I'll drill a few extra holes around the power supply for more adequate venting and put a rack mounted fan behind the unit as well.

I thought nothing could remotely get hotter than my UA 2192 converter, but I'll have to confirm that when I get an NY-2A.

Hey, as a bonus you can keep your sandwiches warm by putting them near that NY-2A.
Colin G.

Randall Squires

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »

Honestly it gets so hot that it would probably toast your bread!
r
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 16 queries.