R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG Serial Number Dating  (Read 30978 times)

iCombs

AKG Serial Number Dating
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »

I've been trying to find a resource for dating a couple AKG 414EB's that my studio has recently purchased.  Does anyone have a good resource for that kind of thing?
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Klaus Heyne

Re: AKG Serial Number Dating
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:12:42 PM »

Regrettably, there are no resources for dating AKG mics by serial numbers. This has also been confirmed by the hosts of AKG's web forum, where this question comes up occasionally.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

iCombs

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:21:04 AM »

Is there any way to date them other than that?  Are there any date-coded components inside that might shed some rough light on their age?

Perhaps the best question is about when did the brass-ringed CK-12's disappear?  At the very least, it'll give me an idea that these mics are at least xx years old.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:50:45 AM »

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/181997/318/?src h=CK12#msg_181997

It's safe to say that the original CK12s in the 414EB were there when the mic was introduced (ca. 1976) and disappeared in the early 1980s.

As I said, many people would like to know more about the birth of their favorite (now called 'vintage', if you can believe it) transistor mics, but I have not found a person or department inside the company who has kept a log. Austrians are different from Germans in that way, I believe. (That's not necessarily a criticism.)

You could do a component search inside the mic's amp and look for that rare component that may have a date code, but AKG used mostly undated larger components and Tantalums as polarized capacitors, rather than elcos with dates, as found in Neumann mics.

The other thing that is unique about the 414EB is that there was never an update (which could thus be part of a database) of the model: the last one looked exactly like the first one, except that it had a higher serial number...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

iCombs

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »

In some ways, that seems really unfortunate as far as their tech department is concerned, but considering some of the more recent missives from AKG (especially in regards to the D19 issue), I guess it's in keeping with a sort of tradition.  At any rate, it's farly safe to say that these mics (both 5xxx serials...if I remember right they are within a couple hundred of each other, but I am away from the studio right now) are at least as old as I am (22).  It's a start.  Who knows...maybe we'll find some Berliner who worked at AKG and had a thing for cataloging serial numbers...
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

billy straus

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

Another iteration of this serial number question is that I am in possession of a 414EB w/CK12 that appears to have no serial number at all. I bought this fairly recently and am very happy with the mic but just realized this seeming anomaly as I am looking at another example as a possible purchase and went to see if the s/n's might be close.

Are there known examples of 414EB's w/o serial number..? I suppose maybe if one part of the case was changed, either the yoke or the cover, it's possible the s/n was lost...?

Thanks,

billy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/billys/12-9-10-AkgMicrophone-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/billys/12-9-10-AkgMicrophone-2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/billys/12-9-10-AkgMicrophone-3.jpg

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »

Your guess was right:
the whole mic frame comes in one piece, including the XLR barrel which bears the serial number (nicely shown on your third picture.) I own several 414 EB frames as spare parts- no serial number.

By the way: outstanding pictures!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »

Yes, great photographs. Is that natural light?

billy straus

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

Ahhhh,  wish I could take credit for the pics, but I cannot!

I think this is not natural daylight, but rather a well crafted studio setup by someone with excellent lighting chops. I will ask him though.

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 07:50

Yes, great photographs. Is that natural light?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 18 queries.