R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves Brings On the Heat at AES '06  (Read 5337 times)

cerberus

Waves Brings On the Heat at AES '06
« on: October 06, 2006, 11:10:27 PM »

waves will introduce their new "vintage bundle" at aes '06.  

the devices modeled are: 1073/66, 2254, and 1081.  the plug-ins were measured by waves to be 95% accurate to the hardware originals, which is probably within the tolerance for variance on individual hardware units.

(um yes, they are already said to compare quite favorably to brand "x" and brand "y" ear-wise, and also they look really cool.)

want to hear them now ? (kind of...) the 2254 and 1073/76 eq  were used  on the most recent mastering example i posted in the "lefsetz letter on loudness" thread.

the vintage bundle is also partly why my [still anonymous] wump8 entry sounds a bit "different" from what i did in wumps 1-7,  i think it's not likely for one to guess it correctly. speaking of which,  there is one other thing...

-----------------------
< kaboom! >  <----

waves will introduce a new dynamics plug-in at aes, it's called: "maxx-volume".  

[not specifically a mastering plug-in but since i am a waves tester, it's kind of our duty to whack everything hard, to boldy take plug-ins where no plug-in has gone before]   i think it could be a tad aggressive when it comes to mastering applications... or rather:  

can you handle it?  

maxx-volume has whacked me pretty hard actually.  but it's been a blast, quite literally in fact. when the snare drum whacks the ears, whack it back! it's satisfying.

maxx-volume has sorta brought out the "vlad" in me.  i never had broached the "-11db barrier" before. now , if a client wants it in the eights? hey, no problem.  

i think it's about time there were more plug-ins with  unique and strong personalities. maxx-volume is an animal, a beast. it could be tamed however,   and it's especially well suited to our contemporary aural environment.

i can't wait to feel the fallout from this once it gets into the wrong hands; and that is guaranteed.  nevertheless i think you want to have this new tool in your arsenal.  

i suppose you want to cut a record that sounds as great as... american idiot? i get the idea from using maxx-volume, that perhaps there's a way it could help.

dynamics means soft and loud.  now it's up to us engineers what gets done. perhaps what has never been done before;  that's the aspect of maxx-volume which excites me most.

in addition to it helping my mastering chain, i am also looking forward to mixing with maxx-volume ;  i don't think analog can do this too easily, sorry!  imagine what it could do if applied only to the kick drum. (tip: best to keep monitoring levels down when playing with maxx-volume, or the neve models for that matter; both will bite you if you ask them to nicely enough, but would you want it any other way? )

-----------------------

without revealing which anonymous wump8 entry was mine:  i may have had "too much fun"  last weekend with "the effusive" (and still elusive) maxx-volume (and that crazy waves 2254 compressor, and the 1066 eq that distorts like a dream when you blow it out. yes, that too.)  and i don't think i've yet scratched the surface of their potential. oh, beautiful!

these tools will be available to everyone soon.( aes show attendees may be treated to live demos or be able to actually play with them at the waves booth. )  

i think great music is explosive, it is on fire.  some could cut records that make us all sit up and listen, help us get lost in a groove, feel the fury, the glory, the beauty, and the passion.  

one little fun experiment was to run a kick drum through the 1066/73 set flat and turn up the input and keep raising the input level and keep pushing it up further and further... and actually i still didn't find how far it could go, i was in ecstasy pretty quickly and it brought new meaning to the word "clipping" for me.

do i hear genuine "soft" clipping?  another tester found this in the 1066/73 eq; i didn't believe what he was saying, so i tried it myself...

boo-ya,  turn us on baby.  rock and roll!

jeff dinces

sdelsolray

Re: Waves Brings On the Heat at AES '06
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:44:03 PM »

Yeah, maybe Waves will introduce "Vintage Customer Service" too.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »

sdelsolray wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 11:44

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nicely played!

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »

j.hall wrote on Mon, 09 October 2006 12:09

sdelsolray wrote on Sun, 08 October 2006 11:44

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nicely played!

Don't count on it.

Unless you're talking vintage bath house...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

cerberus

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:27:16 AM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 09 October 2006 13:44

Unless you're talking vintage bath house...

sorry kevin; there will be no vintage "bungles". waves doesn't provide that type of "service". but of course they would gladly "activate your dongle".

jeff dinces

cerberus

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:07:56 AM »

...with pleasure:
index.php/fa/3668/0/

MChilds

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:57:37 AM »

I just spend a couple grand on one of their bundles.  It won't install.  I've sent 8 messages to "customer service" over the last week and they won't respond and help me get the software going.

Even beyond their absoutely ridiculously horrible authorization process, this is the worst company I've ever dealt with in the audio world.  And I own Digidesign.

Mad

PookyNMR

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »

MChilds wrote on Wed, 13 December 2006 08:57

I just spend a couple grand on one of their bundles.  It won't install.  I've sent 8 messages to "customer service" over the last week and they won't respond and help me get the software going.

Even beyond their absoutely ridiculously horrible authorization process, this is the worst company I've ever dealt with in the audio world.  And I own Digidesign.

Mad

Have you tried calling their tech support line??  Many audio companies that I know of are slow at e-mail support (if they asnwer at all).

Pick up the phone.  I had an issue once and their phone support was excellent.

Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.