R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD8000 / SE  (Read 2939 times)

PamSmooth

AD8000 / SE
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:00:25 AM »

Hello,
After a morning trawling the Internet and seemingly getting no where, can anyone tell me the difference between AD8000's and the SE Edition? We have 2 SE's at our work at the moment and have just bought a plain AD8000. We also have a Trak 2. We are still running Mix plus, due to financial reasons (i.e having to get new plug-ins!!!), we haven't upgraded to OSX yet and Mac Pros, but it IS in the pipeline for the near future!

Basically I think our future system would like to be HD2, running with the AD8000's and the Trak 2, giving us 26 in 32 out.

If we wanted to go for a 48 in 48 out rig (we have a truck for doing outside recordings) would we need to go to HD3 and then the NEXT question is can we run AD8000s and Rosetta 800's together? I am aware of the fact that the AD8000's would 'limit' us to 48k, but that isn't a problem we have encountered so far..
So many questions and I am relatively inexperienced in putting together rigs, so any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
Our current setup is:
G4, 500Mhz, 512MB RAM
Mix Plus with the AD8000SE's + Trak 2
'Tools 5.1.3
OS 9.?
At the moment we have nice, stable, great sounding setup (probably helped by the Neve VR Legend) so we have reached the point that we have to decide to make the change! If we do make the change, are the new platforms nice and stable!?
Sorry this turned into a bit of an epic...I'm a newbie too, so be nice or I'll cry!!!
Embarassed

Pam Smith
Pam Smith, Glagsow

compasspnt

Re: AD8000 / SE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:08:30 PM »

Hi Pam,

Welcome.

I don't know enough about the AD 8000, so I am going to add this to the Whatever Works Forum at the top of the page.  You will probably get more answers there.

As for the nice, stable system you are running now, why change it?  I always say that upgrading is very overrated.

Anyway, since you already have the "better"  A>D, the need to go HD is not as great as it might be without that.  Might much of that "need" be driven by marketing forces?  Hard to say.  I think there is no need for any session higher than 96k, and in most cases, for any beyond 48/24 in tracking.

For my own personal PT multitrack recording, I still use my Mix Cubed system (w/ up to 54 I/O) @ 48/24, and all of the "old" plug-ins I've relied on for a while now, running on OS 9.2.  If I want to use a "newer" plug or feature, I will port over to another system running on OSX, and use UAD-1 or others as "outboard".

Anyway, you need to make your own choice also based on client needs.

Check in at WW upstairs for answers to the Apogee queries.

Best regards.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:48:31 AM »

i would agree with terry on this one.

better conversion is always a huge plus, after that, it comes down to how much money you want to spend.

PamSmooth

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:12:55 AM »

Cheers Guys,

The new AD8000 is due to arrive in the next couple of days we think!
We'll get it hooked up and give it a listen!

Pam Smith, Glagsow
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 16 queries.