R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adat optical cables.  (Read 5566 times)

hexfix93

Adat optical cables.
« on: September 26, 2006, 09:26:02 PM »

With spdif or adat, is good cable important? how much jitter is caused by bad cables or low quality cables?

Ronny

Re: Adat optical cables.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »

hexfix93 wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 21:26

With spdif or adat, is good cable important? how much jitter is caused by bad cables or low quality cables?

As long as you only use the length of cable you need and don't exceed the device manufacturers cable length requirements, you'll be ok. Jitter is mainly an issue when you try to push the length limitations of any digital transfer format be it optical or electronic or lose acceptance angle with the optical cables. The cheap lightpipes work as good as the more expensive ones from my experience when staying within guidelines, but I only go the distance that I need for each app. I've got 22 or 23 ADAT and SPdif optical devices at last count, use some of them for live remotes and I've never had a lightpipe go bad, still using the first ones I bought back in 1993. What to look for is acceptance angle, the cheaper 1.5 and 2mm ones you can't loop into a circle or semi-circle shorter than 6 inches diameter, the 5mm's you can loop down to less than an inch, so if going around corners in a tight spot is an issue, that's about the only differences, IMHO. The 5mm's have bigger connectors that are easier to grasp, but may fit tight on some soundcards where the ADAT ports are close together. Try Sysconcept in BC Canada, they ship to the US and are cheaper than most companies in the US i-net outlets.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------