R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie buying a M269C  (Read 12020 times)

Max K.

• Real Full Name: Max Köhrich
Re: Newbie buying a M269C
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »

I live in Norway, the seller in Sweden (Malmö). This is outside/inside EU, meaning tax barriers. If anybody know somebody in Sweden with the relevant experience who can check up on the microphone before I buy it, please let me know. From what I've heard, this kind of work usually gets shipped to Germany.
Martin Kantola is located in Finland, if that is of any help.

Best regards,

Max

torsteinl

• Real Full Name: TorsteinLindaas
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »

I suggested Kantola and Sennheiser in Copenhagen, but the seller don't want the waiting time. He has others interested that will buy it without the checkup. And he wants to go on vacation ;-)

Anyway, he just said in an email that he just learned that the mic was reskinned in the nineties. I read some of Klaus's and others older posts about reskinning and the consensus seems to be that reskinning is inferior to getting a new, original capsule. I guess I could buy a new K67 capsule but then the mic would start to look expensive.

If the consensus about reskinning still is that you get the sound of the reskinner, not genuine Neumann, I think I will pass on this mic.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »

Is that a platinum diaphragm, or some weird artifact from the camera? If platinum, perhaps done by Horch...
Sean Eldon Qualls
Mercenary Audio / [email protected]
METHods & Applications LABoratory

"I am vanishing into the trees! Defenders, get onto your knees!" - Marnie Stern

J.J. Blair

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »

Would the bottom leads on the AC701 have been coiled at the factory?  Is this a replacement, where somebody failed to do it?  Or would have come from the factory like this?

klaus

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

All factory-installed AC701 in ANY Neumann microphone were coiled, and no matter how tiny the space or difficult to do so.
The coiling is not ideal- it creates a slight coil effect (doh!)- but it serves three (maybe more) good purposes. It dissipates heat during installation, avoids filament resonance and acts as mechanical buffer against filament breakage.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »

The automotive metaphor seems very appropriate in this discussion. Whether you want it as a Sunday driver or use it every day has to be taken into the equation. Original equipment is going to fail when stressed. Can you depend on it if you simply need transportation? The reasonable person would assume that even in the best case scenario, any manufactured device will eventually require extensive repair. I've watched enough Barrett-Jackson car auctions to know what an off body restoration costs. If that 911 is that special a car. If you're willing, and able to purchase, restore, and maintain it, then good for you. I am shamefully jealous. If I had that kind of coin to put toward a single microphone, I'd wan't to check out a couple of new ones just for comparison. In fact, for 6-8 thousand bucks, or 32,097-42,796 K, I'd probably be throwing a tantrum in the lobby of Mercenary Audio until they let me play with everything they had in the store.
.....Dean Giamette
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.