R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacific Microsonics Mod 1 vs EMM or Lavrie or ??  (Read 12812 times)

bl

Re: Pacific Microsonics Mod 1 vs EMM or Lavrie or ??
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 05:10:34 AM »

Quote:

Re: Pacific Microsonics Mod 1 vs EMM or Lavrie or ?? Thu, 24 August 2006 05:53  
Bob Olhsson  

The PM converters were taken out of production so that they could support the ones in the field.

This is one responsible manufacturer unlike too many I could name...  

Yes, this is part of the scenario.  My understanding is that Pacific stopped production because Microsoft purchased the HDCD technology (effectively bought the company) to integrate into Windows Media 9.  Microsoft doesn't manufacture products and had no interest in further hardware development so they pulled the plug.  

As you stated, kudos to Dave Peck, Michael Ritter and crew for not just building out the remaining stock of parts and thereby facilitating long term serviceability for the Model's 1 and 2.

If anyone want to hear the sonic signature of a Model 1 or 2 just check out any of Keith Johnson's (one of the co-developers)recordings for the reference recordings label.

Cheers,
brent lambert
the kitchen
www.kitchenmastering.com

Daniel_Dettwiler

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

Quote:

Daniel,

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I also have a Pacific Microsonics Model 2 and an EMM DAC 8 (an earlier model), as well as a Prism ADA-8.

Re: the differences between the Model 1 & Model 2 - the Model 2 does 48k and 4x sampling rates; it also does single wire AES at 88.2/96k - the Model 1 operates in dual wire mode. The Model 2 clocking is more flexible - it can operate as the clock master in D-D modes. You can also clock the D/A from the A/D.

re: sound - I concur with Mark. The Model 2 is usually my preferrence for D/A & A/D. The Meitner, to my ears, does not resolve as much detail in PCM mode as the Model 2. I use HDCD encoding for most projects; it's still the best dithering scheme that I've tried. (If I could get my hands on 2 more Model 2s for surround...). The Prism ADA-8 and the newer ADA-8XR, though is the best value out there for high-end converters. With the proper cards, it does DSD conversion, PCM>DSD>PCM, synchronous SRC, and more, and it sounds great.

David

Thanks for the information. Looks like the Pacific Microsonics would be worth a deal. I wonder wheter an older EMM DA sounds different to the Actual EMM MK4 DA though.

Thanks
Daniel
------------------
Daniel Dettwiler
www.ideeundklang.com
www.volkshausstudio.com

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »

Keith Johnson has designed new filters for the Euphonix MADI converters. Even though these are 26 channel units, they ought to be at the top of the list for people to check out as a state of the art converter that is still manufactured.

I just did a yummy 96k. 5.1 project at Georgetown using all PM model 2s.

mastermind

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »

Just to clairify my previous thoughts on this:

1) I didn't say the Lavry Blue's were superior to the Model I, but that they could "hold their own". When I shot out the two boxes, there were things I iked about each, but in the end I chose the Blues, mostly because the PM I can't do 96k, and in my case most of my client base could care less about HDCD.

2) The PM boxes don't seem to be known for their reliability... I understand these are complex boxes... but they do seem to have their fair share of issues. They are big - when they do need repair just the shipping alone is a fair chunk.

3) I agree Dave Peck and Euphonix offers excellent support for these boxes.

4) I still think the Lavry Golds are the total shizzle of converters.... but that's just me.

t

trevor sadler

Daniel_Dettwiler

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 05:11:55 PM »

All,

thanks again for your help. The decision is made, it is a Emm Labs DA Mk4. I am still very curious about the Pacific Microsonics and so I am for the Lavrie Gold. Those are the two converters that I can believe that it would be possible that I could like them more than the EMM. But it could also be possible that I like the EMM more of course. Fact was, that I know the EMM DA already and liked it always very much and I personally prefered it to prism, lavrie blue and Weiss DA. Then it has 8 Channals, not two! There is a time when one just have to make a desicion. Even if I would try to get a lavrie gold to evaluate (which is near impossible in switzerland), I could not try a pacific. And even if I could I am sure someone tells me about another highender, that I have forgot. So finally I think the EMM is a great thing, and it does everything that I need right now. And it does DSD (that I don't need now, but who knows), and it has 8 Channals. (And I have just got one for a good price in ebay:-)

I am not a regular forum user, but I have to say that I enjoyed the fact that the people writing here were very friendly, helpful and knowlegable.

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
------------------
Daniel Dettwiler
www.ideeundklang.com
www.volkshausstudio.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 19 queries.