R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOTU PC compatablity  (Read 6848 times)

intervalkid

MOTU PC compatablity
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:55:54 PM »

Anybody here use MOTU interfaces with thier PC?
I have come across a good deal on a MOTU traveller on ebay, but the seeler informs me that incompatibilty issues are notorious between MOTU gear and PC DAW's. Does anybody have any experience with this? Could it be because of system limitations of the computer?

Malcolm Boyce

Re: MOTU PC compatablity
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:21:08 AM »

I have been running a MOTU 2408mk3 for two years with a PC based DAW...  Sonar.  Absolutely outstanding performance.  It is one of the few pieces of gear that I have had no regrets about, and in fact, I want to buy a second expansion 2408 to go with it.

Anyone I know who has MOTU hardware is using it with a PC, and I have heard of no such issues.

intervalkid

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:30:06 AM »

Wonderful!  I will be using Sonar as well. That is odd that the seller told me that.
He said he is selling is for a friend who, for health reasons can't do studio work anymore.  I dunno.  He has a high seller feedback rating though so, I dont see a problem buying from him.
Just strange that he would say that.

Malcolm Boyce

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:14:42 AM »

The biggest thing with the MOTU and Sonar is to run with the ASIO drivers.  MOTU still considers Sonar to want WDM, but the ASIO drivers outperform in every way.

Good luck!

la musica suena mejor

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:11:59 PM »

i use  amoto 828II  with a pc and have no issues so far. so it should work just fine for u:)it all depends in the configuration of ur system i think.good luck

Michael Durovic

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:08:13 AM »

running a motu 24I/O for 2 years now. (with nuendo)
no problem ever since.
probably he meant the sequencing software delivered with the interface. what is it called... audio desk?
you never have enough time

Malcolm Boyce

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »

Audio Desk is Mac OS only.

Skullsessions

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 11:54:55 AM »

I've been using MOTU on PC for about 3 years or so.

There originally were issues with the PCI-324 card which the rackmount unit communicates through.  Once PC's started moving into the DDR memory and hyperthreading processors, there were SERIOUS issues getting the MOTU hardware to work with certain chipsets.

In fact, MOTU will still tell you that their PCI-324 card WILL NOT work with a motherboard that supports hyperthreading - though I can tell you that I currently DO run a system with the PCI-324 card on an Intel board that does support hyperthreading and DDR RAM.  There were also issues with the 324 cards and on-board ATI video drivers, etc.  It used to be quite a mess...and I built 4 different systems trying to get it to work properly.  Once I found the right chipset (all Intel, by the way), it's all worked like a charm!

However...I just recently upgraded to the new PCI-424 card when I built a new system.  This particular PCI card loaded drivers immediately and communicates with the PC/sound card flawlessly.  Much improved over my last experience!  Oh...and if you were wondering, new the PCI-424 WILL work with the older MOTU soundcards, so don't sweat it.

I'm running SONAR as well.

Maybe this was off topic...if so...sorry.
James Hook
Houston, TX

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.